Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-10-26, 12:24 AM
Regular User

Curious about how you did the TV conduit going down to the basement and not in the 'raised' kitchen cabinets to the side which is what I would have personally done had we gone with the Kenson.

I also am curious about how the conduit to the basement would work? I know most of us have stopped watching DVDs so there's no need to access any of them directly but how do you control them using your remote? Our concept session is next week so this is perfectly timed.

Because we have an approx. 10' wall in the Borden where your staircase is in the Kenson (we also have a vaulted ceiling as opposed to a flat 12' which was a rather pleasant surprise) we decided to place a wall system/shelving up against that wall as part of the furniture design so were thinking of just running our conduit to the back of that, so it's interesting to see what has been done.

We definitely did like how the standards are high up - for kitchens we added two sets of pot drawers and a pantry (Borden doesn't have a pantry in standard layout apparently!).

Just returned from driving by the site today - two Elmhursts done with their build, an Arlington, either a Kenson or Arlington (couldn't see that one from the side or back to differentiate) and at least one Rockaway already built up...I'm really excited.

Last edited by sestafanos; 2014-10-26 at 12:38 AM.
Old 2014-10-26, 02:58 PM
Regular User

I had to look at the floor plans for the Borden again after your comments, I never noticed there wasnít a pantry (I also would have added one) and itís awesome that there is a vaulted ceilingÖthere is no mention of it on the plans (the Arlington model specifically mentions the great room is vaulted). I think I may be more excited for you for the Borden than for myself since I pretty much know what the Kenson will look like

I was also thinking about using the kitchen cabinets facing the living room for the conduit and if it was just a cable box thatís what I would have done. In my case I am putting in a surround system in the living room. My A/V receiver is too big to fit into the cabinets without making them deeper and Iíd have to run all the speaker wire in there as well. Instead Iíll have the conduit come out in the living room on the wall with the stairs and Iíll have face plates where the speaker wire will come out. Itís actually 2 conduits Iím running, one straight down the fireplace into the basement, and one straight down the living room wall into the basement. I considered having all the equipment in the basement but I started using DVDís again (Redbox movie rentals are $1.50/day) and still use some disks for our gaming systems. It will be easy to move it all down to the basement in the future if/when I finish the basement and create a home theatre.

For using a remote with equipment that is either located in another room or out of line of site there are a few options. The cheapest low-tech way is getting an IR extender. You would mount the one end of the IR extender near your TV and it would just send the IR signals along a wire to the other end. At the other end by your equipment it would send out the IR signals as if you were standing there pointing a remote at your equipment. You can buy one yourself or you can get one through Concept.

A second option is buying something like a Logitech Harmony Home Control remote. I havenít looked into this too much yet but it might do exactly what I want. It has a remote and a base station, the base station can sit inside a cabinet with your equipment and you can control IR, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices. You can also use your iOS or Android device to control things. The cheaper model costs about $150.

If you want a considerably more expensive home automation solution, you can get a Control 4 system. All of your equipment will be located together in the basement and you would be able to send any video or audio source to any room, control your lights, etc. Concept sells/installs Control 4 systems.
Old 2014-10-26, 05:50 PM
Regular User

Thanks for that! I don't think we intend to go with a full home automation system but I'll definitely keep your ideas in mind. We're also planning on a surround system there so we'll see how that goes. Might also go with the original idea for conduits - seems to be the most hassle-free one and all the media remains on the same floor (DVD rentals? Who knows?). I also like to connect my laptop to the TV frequently for family things so we'll see what happens for that meeting.
Old 2014-11-08, 10:20 PM

We are very interested in the Kenson model, we saw it and fell in love with the floorplan. The standards are also incredibly impressive - they don't even compare to other builders. The one hesitation I have is the exterior - it's a bit too modern and cold looking for my liking but I think I can get past it because I love the inside so much. So I'm curious, what exterior package did you choose? Did anyone look into another alternative for the wood columns at the front door?
Old 2014-11-08, 10:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawamom View Post
We are very interested in the Kenson model, we saw it and fell in love with the floorplan. The standards are also incredibly impressive - they don't even compare to other builders. The one hesitation I have is the exterior - it's a bit too modern and cold looking for my liking but I think I can get past it because I love the inside so much. So I'm curious, what exterior package did you choose? Did anyone look into another alternative for the wood columns at the front door?
You must have struggled with that exterior design! I actually love those columns personally but I have seen others give similar comments...and the cold exteriors, which personally appeal to our family's tastes more. However, the Aston (Alternative), Borden (alternative) and both elevations of the Winfield have brick built columns on the exterior. Of course these are all very different plans from the Kenson so this reply might be useless to you.

We picked package G which is not built on any of the models but is very similar to package C (the one on the Kenson) with darker brown brick. I was told by the sales rep that package C (the one on the exterior of the sales centre) was a very popular choice. They also mentioned that they really liked the more traditional red brick on the Aston because it has the traditional appeal (which you may prefer) with a bit of a twist so to speak. The Winfield is showing with a stone upgrade which is always an option should you not like the brick as much but, dependant on the model, we realised the Borden has a $16,000 upgrade and the Winfield is $23,000 so they are hefty upgrades but these are also the two largest houses on offer.

I also understand that the orange package did not prove to be very popular. It is showing on the alternative rendering of the Kenson and it definitely stands out more than the main elevation on the page (which is actually the same colour as the one it is built in). I do know modern design can take you by surprise in the suburbs so I'd give it some time to blend in as more of these are built along with the Urbandale Horizon series - it should stand out in the end but not as starkly is it does now - trees have yet to grow around these homes as well and make them look even better.

Good luck.

Last edited by sestafanos; 2014-11-08 at 11:07 PM.
Old 2014-11-09, 01:08 AM
Regular User

Oh, also similar floorplans to the Kenson that are unbuilt/unavailable for viewing is the 3 bedroom Byron which has bigger bedrooms upstairs and the Elmhurst which only has a smaller den and slightly smaller family room. I just wanted to point these out because I realised a lot of people loved the Kenson due to visual appeal, which is true - it's easier to imagine a built home, but you can always consider these two.
Old 2014-11-09, 01:25 AM
Regular User

The exterior is certainly modern, but I think you will get used to it over time as it matches well with the interior. If you like the red brick then I would choose that package as it will lend it a slightly more traditional look. We chose the alternate elevation of the Kenson, which I think looks even more modern, but if you look closely at the alternate elevation picture, one of the wooden columns is replaced by brick. Assuming you want the standard elevation, you could try asking them if they can replace the wooden columns with brick instead.
Old 2014-11-09, 07:38 AM
Regular User

We brought friends over, one of whom is an interior designer, to check out our new purchase yesterday and she remarked on the wood columns. She loved the modern exterior but was wondering if the wood would change colour or whether it was sealed to prevent that. We hadn't thought of that so now have this on our list of questions and design ideas that seems to be growing by the minute
Old 2014-11-09, 08:13 AM
Regular User

I assumed they would be sealed but thank you, now that's on my questions since a professional is concerned...
Old 2014-11-09, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Good point, if you find out more about the wood columns come back and let us know. I had assumed they were sealed but never actually asked and I have no idea what sort of maintenance they might need.