Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-11-18, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
Sorry I havent had an update in a while itÂ’s been pretty eventful these last few weeks.

So after having to book many days off work to meet trades people here and there, some showing up some not, I got fed up and had them book everyone in one day to finish everything. Leading up to this day we notice the carpet in my daughters room is soaking wet. I look close and theres water damage on the baseboard etc. Someone comes the next day, says there was a roof leak but assured me it was fixed. They pulled a little carpet up and said everythings all good. The day comes when everyone is supposed to come by, about half the people show up its a joke painter spills paint on my brand new stainless steel fridge everybody blaming each other for how bad the house is. They put a hole in the wall in my daughters where it leaked to make sure everything is fine back there. The insulation is wet, lots of moisture behind the wall. I come back upstairs an hour later and an entire wall is opened up in my daughters room. Even some of the ceiling removed. Theres mold everywhere. They have all of the insulation taken out and the framing is all wet and the smell is horrible. The day we took possession, I remember the corner in that room had a yellowy/brown tint to it. I figured it was just dirty like everything else in the house, now I know it was actually a water mark. It had been leaking for who knows how long before we moved in. My daughter sleeping in that room with all that moisture and mold behind the walls, absolutely terrible. So just over a week after moving in, we move back out of the house. Things are so bad at this point, we can't even live there. My wife comes back home after taking the kids out all day thinking she's coming back and everything's done only to find out things are actually even worse and we have to get a hotel. I'm extremely angry at this point, I tell them I don't want to come back until they finish everything - the paint, the broken tiles, the crooked stairs, the mold, the drawers that don't close, the chip in my countertop, the missing doors to my laundry closet... They agree to cover our expenses while we're out of the house. We were out of the house for a week. Imagine living out of a hotel for a week with a newborn and a 2 year old... We come back to the house, just like our closing day, my wife starts crying because everything looks so bad, maybe 50% of the things are done?? Nobody has come for out kitchen yet, it's missing pieces entirely, almost half of our drawer and cupboard faces are damaged. Some of our trim corners where they've cut it is bare wood, like it's never been painted. How do you miss that?! And anywhere that they actually touched up stands out like a sore thumb. As soon at the light comes into the house, you can see all of the patches. two of the doors they put in have holes in the top of it. Looks like they put the hardware on upside down then put it on right and just left the holes!!! Every morning when I wake up, I can see all of the drywall seems in the ceiling. It's like they skipped a coat of mud on every butt joint in the house! Just submitted our 30 day list. Most of the things on it are from our PDI, then 24 hour list, now 30 day list!!! Such a joke. Now our neighbours on both sides have moved in. We went through each-others houses and I was shocked to find out they've both had plumbing leaks!!! All of us joke that it's part of the Urbandale experience. The paint and finishes in their place looked just as bad as ours if not worse! I was really hoping our house was just a lemon but unfortunately it isn't. I'm trying to be as objective as possible here but i'm just so fed up and angry. I've talked to someone from Tarion and my lawyer. They basically said the builder is doing all they have to do by paying for our accommodation and fixing things.

This has been the hardest, most stressful, annoying, inconvenient experience for my family. Now a month and a half since closing, I'm left with an angry wife, no more vacation time, and a house that is still not finished.
Jord that is absolutely brutal - I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this nonsense. We have been in our home for 11 days now and while we have minor issues, they don't come close to what you are experiencing. Which block are you on? We are on Longworth Ave. We were the first to move into our row. We have had minor grievances: wrong hardware in bathroom, bad grout, no grout on tiles that have been replaced, floor tile that doesn't meet with the tub, no kick plates on the kitchen island, no faucet on our standalone tub, outlets installed unevenly (can't even get anything into them), and various painting mishaps.

Biggest obstacle for us has been getting internet.. we were originally told Bell didn't service the area so we went with Rogers. Scheduled an installation for the 8th. Guy came and said the wires weren't laid to the box from outside the home. I've been on the phone with Rogers every day since and no one can give me an update as to when this will be done, even 10 days later, no timeframe whatsoever. I raised with Urbandale, no real help there at all, just maintaining that "everything is done on their end". Anyways, I checked in with Bell again and they say they are servicing the area, so I've scheduled an install for this week. Just a heads up for those moving into the area, Rogers will take your appointment and then not deliver.
Old 2019-11-18, 01:43 PM
Regular User

Oh my goodness is sounds like the Construction Manager at Cowan's Grove needs to be fired... we're in RSS and my biggest grievance is that some of my glass isn't frosted...

I'm really sorry this is happening to you guys...
Old 2019-11-19, 09:53 AM
Regular User

What a nightmare. This just illustrates that shoddy work can happen with any builder, even with the very reputable ones. With the shortage of trades nowaday, the contractor just wants to finish the job real quick to move on to the next one. No one cares much about the quality any more. If the foreman is not paying attention to details, then the final work is crap.

Hopefully they can address your major issues soon.
Old 2019-11-19, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
What a nightmare. This just illustrates that shoddy work can happen with any builder, even with the very reputable ones. With the shortage of trades nowaday, the contractor just wants to finish the job real quick to move on to the next one. No one cares much about the quality any more. If the foreman is not paying attention to details, then the final work is crap.

Hopefully they can address your major issues soon.
I think it's less the builder and more the construction manager. Case in point, RSS is basically having none of these issues, same builder. The construction manager and construction office are REALLY on point.
Old 2019-11-19, 10:07 AM
Regular User

Yes, this is why builders make sure they hire good site managers. At the end of the day, it is the builder's problem. Just like the saying, it might not be you causing the issue directly but ultimately the responsibility is yours.

What happens here is quite typical actually. Just like how one of the two builders in Findlay Creek, supposedly good reputable builders, had an issue with a number of houses in another area. Or the builder of my first house in Half Moon Bay; all the houses including ours built in the first couple years have pretty good quality. People then continue to build with that builder years later based on past reputation, but they got subpar quality instead.
Old 2019-11-25, 11:07 PM

Default Unidentified Structure inside Home

We did our electrical walk through and found out we have an extra room in the structure that we had not asked for! Further, we had paid for and specified additional structural changes and none were honoured. What an insincere and irresponsible attitude to paying customers. When we asked to speak with Peter - the GM, we were told he was let go. The new GM is giving us the silent treatment.
I find the Sales team very quick to sell the home, but an absolute nightmare to deal with after.
Old 2019-11-25, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
Sorry I havent had an update in a while itÂ’s been pretty eventful these last few weeks.

So after having to book many days off work to meet trades people here and there, some showing up some not, I got fed up and had them book everyone in one day to finish everything. Leading up to this day we notice the carpet in my daughters room is soaking wet. I look close and theres water damage on the baseboard etc. Someone comes the next day, says there was a roof leak but assured me it was fixed. They pulled a little carpet up and said everythings all good. The day comes when everyone is supposed to come by, about half the people show up its a joke painter spills paint on my brand new stainless steel fridge everybody blaming each other for how bad the house is. They put a hole in the wall in my daughters where it leaked to make sure everything is fine back there. The insulation is wet, lots of moisture behind the wall. I come back upstairs an hour later and an entire wall is opened up in my daughters room. Even some of the ceiling removed. Theres mold everywhere. They have all of the insulation taken out and the framing is all wet and the smell is horrible. The day we took possession, I remember the corner in that room had a yellowy/brown tint to it. I figured it was just dirty like everything else in the house, now I know it was actually a water mark. It had been leaking for who knows how long before we moved in. My daughter sleeping in that room with all that moisture and mold behind the walls, absolutely terrible. So just over a week after moving in, we move back out of the house. Things are so bad at this point, we can't even live there. My wife comes back home after taking the kids out all day thinking she's coming back and everything's done only to find out things are actually even worse and we have to get a hotel. I'm extremely angry at this point, I tell them I don't want to come back until they finish everything - the paint, the broken tiles, the crooked stairs, the mold, the drawers that don't close, the chip in my countertop, the missing doors to my laundry closet... They agree to cover our expenses while we're out of the house. We were out of the house for a week. Imagine living out of a hotel for a week with a newborn and a 2 year old... We come back to the house, just like our closing day, my wife starts crying because everything looks so bad, maybe 50% of the things are done?? Nobody has come for out kitchen yet, it's missing pieces entirely, almost half of our drawer and cupboard faces are damaged. Some of our trim corners where they've cut it is bare wood, like it's never been painted. How do you miss that?! And anywhere that they actually touched up stands out like a sore thumb. As soon at the light comes into the house, you can see all of the patches. two of the doors they put in have holes in the top of it. Looks like they put the hardware on upside down then put it on right and just left the holes!!! Every morning when I wake up, I can see all of the drywall seems in the ceiling. It's like they skipped a coat of mud on every butt joint in the house! Just submitted our 30 day list. Most of the things on it are from our PDI, then 24 hour list, now 30 day list!!! Such a joke. Now our neighbours on both sides have moved in. We went through each-others houses and I was shocked to find out they've both had plumbing leaks!!! All of us joke that it's part of the Urbandale experience. The paint and finishes in their place looked just as bad as ours if not worse! I was really hoping our house was just a lemon but unfortunately it isn't. I'm trying to be as objective as possible here but i'm just so fed up and angry. I've talked to someone from Tarion and my lawyer. They basically said the builder is doing all they have to do by paying for our accommodation and fixing things.

This has been the hardest, most stressful, annoying, inconvenient experience for my family. Now a month and a half since closing, I'm left with an angry wife, no more vacation time, and a house that is still not finished.
Sorry to hear you are going through all this. If it makes you feel any better, they let go of the GM due to the several issues customers were facing.
Old 2019-11-25, 11:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr87 View Post
Sorry to hear you are going through all this. If it makes you feel any better, they let go of the GM due to the several issues customers were facing.
He was fired back in September. The new guy, Dwayne, is from a company out west.

Also...what room did they add? What are they going to do to fix?

Remember you haven’t paid for anything yet...
Old 2019-11-25, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
He was fired back in September. The new guy, Dwayne, is from a company out west.
The new guy not been responding to our emails at all!
Old 2019-11-25, 11:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr87 View Post
The new guy not been responding to our emails at all!
Call him!

Also...what room did they add? What are they going to do to fix?

Remember you haven’t paid for anything yet...