Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-11-05, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
FYI - Tarion is a game and builders, primarily the larger builders, know how to play that game. This game has time frames for the builder to resolve issues and time frames for the home owner to make a claim to Tarion if the builder does not resolve the issue(s).

The reason why Tarion is such a fail is because so few new home buyers know how to play the game.

Builders often wear people out with missed appointments and debating issues with the new home buyer and many people take the bait and do the back-and-forth thing with the builder.

Don't waste your time debating with the builder over issues. If you have had a professional inspection done by a competent inspector then if the builder fusses about an issue then do not debate it with the builder but instead discuss it with your inspector to determine the next move.

TARION IS MORE FEARFULL OF A NEW HOME BUYER THAT 1) KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE TARION GAME, AND 2) OF THE NEW HOME BUYER WITH A PROFESSIONAL INSPECTION / INSPECTOR TO BACK THEM UP.
You have hit the nail on this one. It a game and you need to know how to play it.

I always put my poker face when I debate with the builder, and the Tarion Rep is useless most of the times.

If you submit the list within the required dates, you should be okay and always have it in writing (emails communication) no phone calls and no word of mouth.
Old 2019-11-06, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Oops,,, meant to say - Builders ( not Tarion ) are more fearful of a new home buyers that 1) ,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 2019-11-06, 07:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post

If you submit the list within the required dates, you should be okay and always have it in writing (emails communication) no phone calls and no word of mouth.
As I mentioned this will not necessarily cover everything. If you put something on your list, they fix it, you are supposed to sign off on it. A month later it breaks again, you may or may not get support.

The builder will say that it is warrantied for a year after the repair but if you speak with Tarion they will tell you there is no enforcement on that. They only cover what was on your list that was not repaired.

Last edited by suezuki650; 2019-11-06 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 2019-11-07, 08:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
As I mentioned this will not necessarily cover everything. If you put something on your list, they fix it, you are supposed to sign off on it. A month later it breaks again, you may or may not get support.

The builder will say that it is warrantied for a year after the repair but if you speak with Tarion they will tell you there is no enforcement on that. They only cover what was on your list that was not repaired.
You are right suekuki. We had a roof vent that was replaced by builder during first year that had been on our warranty list. During the second year it leaked as it had a defect. I called tarion to see if it was covered from date of first repair and about another item where we had an issue after repair ...I was told flat out no. They told me anything fixed on your warranty list and signed off is now up to u to work out with the builder even if it’s the next day (breaks or fails). And it’s totally up to the builder if they want to, tarion did offer to send a letter of support on my behalf to the builder. Which I thought was a joke... I Have only called tarion a few times, I found them very nice on phone and even empathized with me but never able to help ..... total waste of money imo. We were fortunate as the builder even though they made it clear that they didn’t have to, they did repair the two above items
Old 2019-11-07, 04:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA87 View Post
You are right suekuki. We had a roof vent that was replaced by builder during first year that had been on our warranty list. During the second year it leaked as it had a defect. I called tarion to see if it was covered from date of first repair and about another item where we had an issue after repair ...I was told flat out no. They told me anything fixed on your warranty list and signed off is now up to u to work out with the builder even if itís the next day (breaks or fails). And itís totally up to the builder if they want to, tarion did offer to send a letter of support on my behalf to the builder. Which I thought was a joke... I Have only called tarion a few times, I found them very nice on phone and even empathized with me but never able to help ..... total waste of money imo. We were fortunate as the builder even though they made it clear that they didnít have to, they did repair the two above items
All leaks are covered for 2 years. Doesn't matter where the leak is from, it's covered.
Old 2019-11-07, 05:56 PM
Regular User

You are correct (my bad) it was just past the two year mark when the water made its way to a spot that came through to the interior and we discovered it. Looking at my paperwork now (should of done that before my first post) it was exactly two weeks after we submitted our two year form. And tarion said they couldn’t help us. Like I said the builder came through for us

Last edited by LA87; 2019-11-07 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2019-11-11, 06:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
FYI - Tarion is a game and builders, primarily the larger builders, know how to play that game. This game has time frames for the builder to resolve issues and time frames for the home owner to make a claim to Tarion if the builder does not resolve the issue(s).

The reason why Tarion is such a fail is because so few new home buyers know how to play the game.

Builders often wear people out with missed appointments and debating issues with the new home buyer and many people take the bait and do the back-and-forth thing with the builder.
I just said "Amen" out loud while reading this! Haha.

My street was full of problems at every house, big and small issues. Only two of us went ended up in conciliation with Tarion over it. The rest just gave up.

But I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I filed for conciliation. And even after filing I was never informed about what was expected of me, what was going to happen or how I needed to prepare. The whole process took 6 months after conciliation was filed, and brought me to tears more than once. I was on a mission to make sure they "didn't get away with it" but I totally understand how others might give up after the first buyout attempt by the builder. Or be so threatened by the process that they don't even bother.
Old 2019-11-13, 05:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
I just said "Amen" out loud while reading this! Haha.

My street was full of problems at every house, big and small issues. Only two of us went ended up in conciliation with Tarion over it. The rest just gave up.

But I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I filed for conciliation. And even after filing I was never informed about what was expected of me, what was going to happen or how I needed to prepare. The whole process took 6 months after conciliation was filed, and brought me to tears more than once. I was on a mission to make sure they "didn't get away with it" but I totally understand how others might give up after the first buyout attempt by the builder. Or be so threatened by the process that they don't even bother.
Which builder were you with? I've heard some stories about Mattammy I wonder if it's the same area
Old 2019-11-18, 12:14 PM
Regular User

My first new home build experience was with a builder that actually did say to me, several times, "you know what, I don't know if this is officially covered under Tarion warranty, but don't worry, we'll fix it for you."

My second new home build experience with the same builder was much more in line with the sentiments in this thread. Lots of back-and-forth with the builder, lots of "don't worry we'll take care of it" with no results. Whether it's an intentional long term avoidance strategy to wait you out, or whether it's simply because they're dealing with an unworkable volume of work for the number of contractors they care to hire, I don't know... but I do know that when you book a Tarion conciliation inspection, suddenly they pay a lot of attention.

They even may start negotiating with you to make that conciliation inspection go away. I noticed a new thing that needed fixing that I had not officially noted on my 30-day or 1-year inspection reports. The builder rep said "We would be happy to fix that for you... as soon as you cancel that Tarion inspection."

And all the while my builder, the contractors, the constant emails... always saying "please give us a good review". It seems to me that they care very much about getting good survey feedback.

So Tarion may not be perfect by any means, but it does help and it is something that builders (or at least my builder) pay attention to.

Not mentioning any builder names in this thread, but have a gander at my post signature just below this line...
Old 2019-11-18, 03:32 PM
Regular User

This is the exact reason that we hired an inspector (Actually used Phil on these forums - he's awesome) to help us play this game. Not only did it help teach us a lot about the house, but it helped us understand what was actually wrong, and caught things that I never, in a million years, would have.

Based on the results, I actually just sent my 30-day list to Tarion today, and sent it to the Builder, to whom I flagged some urgent issues (ultimately things that, if they went wrong, would cost THEM a ton of money). The builder actually responded (within 30 minutes) saying they would immediately file work orders & schedule work for those urgent items (I submitted pictures, so they could validate), and would schedule a walk-through with their warranty department right away.

If someone offers to fix something once you a book an inspection... don't cancel the tarion inspection UNTIL they fix those things. Homebuyers look at Tarion records - so obviously they want their Tarion record clear...or they just do what EQ does and create a new shell company for every community, so that they never have blemishes on their Tarion profile.

Last edited by JCC; 2019-11-18 at 03:37 PM.