Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-11-18, 05:17 PM
Regular User

Default Condensation on windows

Hi guys,

Did anyone notice a crazy amount of condensation on the windows, especially the bathroom windows? I am aware of general condensation in the winter, but it has been brutal this year. I literally had to wipe the water off the windows. The inside humid level is 50% and outside is 70%.

Thanks,
Old 2019-11-19, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Is there any moisture on the trim of your windows, or is it just on the glass? Remember that energy efficient homes tend to have greater condensation, and there's been a huge disparity between humidity outside recently.

We haven't had any since like end of October, though.
Old 2019-11-19, 10:42 AM
Regular User

We also have moistures on the windows trim. Some windows are worse than other. My master bedroom sits ontop of the garage so it is quite a bit colder than other rooms. This might explain why I see more condensation in the master bathroom than the other rooms.
Old 2019-11-20, 08:03 AM
Regular User

Points -

If you have an HRV then in the winter it will remove humidity from the home.

Hold a tissue to your bathroom exhaust fans to see if they are sucking air from the home.

Leaving your furnace fan in the ON setting will continuously move air around the home = less humidity on the windows.

Removing screens from windows will reduce humidity on the windows and provide easy access to wipe up the moisture with a cloth or paper towels.

If you have a humidifier on your furnace then turn it down.
Old 2019-11-20, 01:37 PM
Regular User

Turn on the HRV if you have and get it running 24/7, which should fix the condensation issue
Old 2019-11-21, 08:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wri View Post
Turn on the HRV if you have and get it running 24/7, which should fix the condensation issue
24/7 in the winter would certainly remove moisture but the furnace would also run much more to keep up with the cool air being brought into the house.

While the HRV does transfer heat from the outgoing air to the incoming cool air it can not transfer 100 percent of the heat. As a result - the cool /cold air is warmed but still cooler than the outgoing air.
Old 2019-11-21, 09:00 AM
Regular User

We had issues with this where it got VERY bad at times. We had a humidifier integrated with furnace and simply followed the "winter" vs "summer" recommended settings to target about 40% relative humidity level for first few years in the house. We finally decided to turn it off (the filters are expensive anyway and are a pain to replace so often haha) and the RH % level settled in the 33 - 36% range. Not a huge difference to me......but the difference in terms of condensation WAS huge. The trade off is a bit dryer air of course.....but I would start by looking at humidifier settings.

p.s. and yes keeping the air circulating also helps.
Old 2019-11-21, 10:58 PM
Regular User

I actually did all those. Check the washroom fan, turn on the furnace fan, turn on the HRV, lower the setting of the central humidifier. I think it was due to tight house + big difference in the humid level (50% inside vs 70+% outside). It's been better in the last few days.
Old 2019-11-22, 08:34 AM
Regular User

Maybe your laundry dryer exhaust is not venting properly. You should make sure you know where the vent for the dryer is - turn ON the dryer - and then make sure the flaps all easily open and that the is no screen in the vent.

In some of the new construction homes it is not uncommon that the people laying the bricks or installing the siding actually cover the holes for vents. These missing vents then vent into the structure and yes, the builders supervisors miss this and municipal inspectors don't look for such things.
Old 2019-11-22, 09:15 AM
Regular User

I remember one of the trades who i talked to mentioned that he sprayfoamed the area before installing window installation and he never sees condensation after that. He also mentioned builders usually dont sprayfoam tha area before installing windows. Halton home inspector can confirm if this has any effect on condensation.