Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2008-09-04, 02:52 PM
Regular User

Default Drywall!!!!.

So, our house has proceeded to the drywall stage....which means we have some pink insulation and the drywall is sitting on the floor so far.
Our electrical is all in, but not hooked up...plumbing is in and being tested. (as we noticed when we snuck in one evening...the door was left open!) But there was water on the floor in certain areas, so we are assuming this is them testing for leaks, etc. Also, our bathtubs had arrived and were set in place, also with water in them to test for leaks? (once again, we are assuming)
Hmmmm.....lets see....what else was done?
Oh yes, our outside stairs were there, (which made it soooo much easier to sneak inside!!)....along with the pillars at the front.
Our inside stairs both going up and down are put in, plus they have studded the basement area that is "finished". I must confess that this area is much bigger than I had thought it would be. Which is nice, since our downstairs staircase will be open from the kitchen.
And, I remember when the footings for the house first went in and we walked around in it, and thinking "omg, this house is sooooo small!!...what have we done???....and now, to go in the basement, it looks HUGE!!...it was so deceiving!! (thankfully)....we could have a bowling alley in the basement!
I did have one question about the insulation in the attic spaces...so far there isn't any, but they have put the vapour barrier up, covering the ceiling area...and now what do they do???....Does the insulation just sit on top of the ceiling drywall?....this can't be, since what if you need to walk in the attic space for whatever reason?...does the attic get a floor?....I know this sounds dumb, but I just can't picture what the process for this is.....i think i better google this, and see what the steps are for this part.
Well, I am hoping that there is some drywall up when we go over to peek in the windows this evening (or better yet, if the door is left open again!)....It will be nice to see the size of the rooms in a better perspective.
Old 2008-09-05, 12:17 AM
Regular User

Default Drywall!!

So, just like that...we have drywall!!....in only two days! Its not taped or anything, but its up there!!....And what a difference to be able to visualize where you are going to put things, and how your furniture will fit....Some rooms look bigger than I had imagined, and some smaller, but it certainly gave you a new perspective!
I had also forgot that they roughed in central vac until I saw the spots for them.
Oh, and the attic insulation is blown in...and does go over the drywall which is covered with the vapour barrier. Seems weird that there would be nothing to walk on if you ever had to go into the attic....i guess you just balance on the rafters....I hope there is enough insulation going in there. We have some huge empty spaces with the loft up there. Another concern is that the potlights that we had put in will now be covered in insulation....does that mean I will have to be worried about them getting too hot, or worse, starting a fire?? I must ask someone about this..
Well, I guess things are coming along well....Our closing date of Oct 30 will for sure be realized!!.
The packing began today!
Old 2008-09-20, 12:13 AM
Regular User

Everything has been proceeding sooooooo fast in the last couple of weeks!! Our ceramic tile is down and grouted....walls are primed...trim work finished and doors hung...garage floor poured...electrical in and working....furnace is assembled and ductwork done.....even our kitchen and bathroom cupboards and counters have been delivered!!! (still sitting on the floor in boxes...but delivered nontheless!!) In the blink of an eye, it looks like it will soon be ready to move in!
So?....whats left?.....welllll.....we are still needing our laminate floors, and carpeting for the loft....a second coat of paint...there are no toilets yet...our glass shower doors...steps for the garage door...and some outside work that has yet to be done....
At the OTHER homefront though....the packing has not been going well....I am soooo lazy about this for some reason....it all seems to be so overwhelming....so much stuff!!!....thank God my mother comes at the end of the month to help with some of it!...she'll get me motivated!!
Old 2011-11-28, 03:47 PM

Do you still come on this site ?
I wanted to know if you remember how long from when your basement was poured until they started the framing??
thanks !!