Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-10-15, 12:35 PM

Default Finishing a basement

Hey guys,

I recently bought a home with an unfinished basement. Right now I want to complete it by myself, but there are some problems that I can't seem to find solutions for on the internet or in the book that I bought. First, I have a lot of pipes on the ceiling. One runs from one end of the basement to the other. The problem with this is the it is blocking the spot where I want to put up my studs. The only way that I can think of to put up the studs is to box the pipe, and attach the studs to the box. Is that recommended? Also, when I put up studs parallel with the floor joists, here is no joist near my wall. Does that mean I attach it directly to the floor itself? If this is the case, that's really going to suck because my ducts are there so it's going to be really hard for me.

I have been reading books, but all the books are made for ideal conditions, and the internet isn't helping much either. When I get home, I will take a couple of pics and upload them.

Thanks,

Johnathan
Old 2009-10-15, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Somewhat confusing what you wrote.

This pipe, is it an actual metal pipe for water/gas or is it a duct run?

And your studs will go to a header and a footer. The header will secure to the underside of joists above in one fashion or another, and not to the underside of the floor above.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-10-15, 10:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanKong View Post
Hey guys,

Also, when I put up studs parallel with the floor joists, here is no joist near my wall. Does that mean I attach it directly to the floor itself? If this is the case, that's really going to suck because my ducts are there so it's going to be really hard for me.
Should be able to install blocking attached between the sill plate and the closest floor joist. That will give you a surface to pin the top header of the wall.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:25 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry to take so long, but I managed to get some pictures of what I am talking about. My explanations aren't always the greatest, so hopefully this will help.

In image 258, as you can see, there is a relatively large gap between the last floor joist and the cement wall. There is nothing for me to mount the top of my stud to, so does that mean that I have to use a bracket? Does this bracket have to be mounted into the last floor joist AND the cement wall? I hate drilling through cement, but if it has to be done, I guess I have no other choice.

In image 259, this is the same area as above. As you can see in the corner, I have a bunch of pipes. How do I stud around this? Do these pipes have to be moved? If so, I think this is where I stop try to do the basement and get someone professional to handle it. I think the copper pipe that goes out side is a little too low, so itís going to get in the way of my studing. I thought about building a box around it, but I donít want to block off the valve.

Finally, in image 263, I have those huge ducts that are connected to the walls. Do I just box around them? It seems simple enough, but that side as the same problem as above, the floor joists end like one foot away from the wall. Also, the vent that goes upwards is pressed up right against the cement wall which makes it even harder.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00258.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5022   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00259.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	5023   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00263.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5024  
Old 2009-10-19, 01:26 PM
Regular User

you can run a metal channel along the wall , channel will be screwed with your celieng joists facing down. it will be ok if you can screw one length of channel every 20 - 24 inches .

Then your studs will directly go into the channel and scure them there.
hope will help you
Old 2009-12-13, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Default Drywall delivery

We are looking to finish our basement over the Xmas holidays. Can anyone recommend a place in the GTA that would offer delivery of drywall into your basement?
thanks!
Old 2009-12-13, 07:51 PM
Regular User

Good luck with that! I know HomeDepot and Rona will usually drop it in your garage and that's it! Something about liability or something! At least thats what I was told! Good luck!
Old 2009-12-13, 08:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesa View Post
We are looking to finish our basement over the Xmas holidays. Can anyone recommend a place in the GTA that would offer delivery of drywall into your basement?
thanks!
My neighbor used these guys. Think he paid $100 for 4 hours and they'll do anything you want. He had them move all the drywall into the basement.

http://www.rentason.ca/
Old 2009-12-13, 08:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
My neighbor used these guys. Think he paid $100 for 4 hours and they'll do anything you want. He had them move all the drywall into the basement.

http://www.rentason.ca/
Thanks so much I will def. give them a call!
Old 2009-12-13, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Before you complete the ceiling..

-Does your furnace or water heater use ABS plastic venting? (prior to 2007 aug it will be)
- is your ceiling going to be 100% drywall?

IF yes 2 both take the time now to get those switch to 636pvc venting.. by gas code your not obligated to do this.. but if and when it comes time to change either your furnace or water heater at that time you will have to change the venting to the approved 636 system... if you dont upgrade the pipes now it could mean ripping down your ceiling or parts of it to allow the changing of the pipes down the road.

Small up front expense now before the drywall is up..

I offer this advise only to save headaches later... at least once a week i have to give this bad news when it comes time to change out a water heater with a finished basement..