Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-11-04, 06:46 AM
Regular User

Default Finishing my basement

I just thought I would post some pics of my basement finish so far. I've only done the subfloor but I know this is a hot topic so I'm sharing what I've learned. I decided to use the Platon system (www.systemplaton.com) which is a black dimple product that comes in 2m rolls. It is so easy to install and gives you benefits of dri-core at a fraction of the price. I then added 1" rigid foam and then covered that with 5/8 OSB. Total cost is about $1.50 per square foot but completely worth it to have a warm, dry floor.

This weekend I begin framing.

If you have any questions/comments, I'd be happy to reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	5080   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor2.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5081   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor3.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	5082   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor4.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	5083  
Old 2009-11-04, 07:57 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Looks great!

Looking forward to the framing pics because my builder doesn't believe in installing framing in the basement either.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-11-04, 08:18 AM
Regular User

Looks terrific. What are you doing with the old blanket insulation? Pulling it down I hope?

Old 2009-11-04, 10:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Looks great!

Looking forward to the framing pics because my builder doesn't believe in installing framing in the basement either.
Framing is not required in the basement. Why would they? Most if not all builders are the same.
Old 2009-11-04, 10:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLesley View Post
I just thought I would post some pics of my basement finish so far. I've only done the subfloor but I know this is a hot topic so I'm sharing what I've learned. I decided to use the Platon system (www.systemplaton.com) which is a black dimple product that comes in 2m rolls. It is so easy to install and gives you benefits of dri-core at a fraction of the price. I then added 1" rigid foam and then covered that with 5/8 OSB. Total cost is about $1.50 per square foot but completely worth it to have a warm, dry floor.

This weekend I begin framing.

If you have any questions/comments, I'd be happy to reply.
Looks good. I'd install 1.5" XPS on the walls too before framing. Or are you spray foaming?

So you are close to the cost of Dricore at $1.50 sq/ft but with added labor. Dricore works out to about $1.61 sq/ft list and may be had a little cheaper with a large purchase.
Old 2009-11-04, 10:14 AM
Regular User

I don't know if DriCore would save you much in the way of labour though... you've got more hammering to do as you lock the pieces together, and more trimming of pieces when you get to the edges. Remember that the boards need to be offset (like brickwork) so there's a fair bit of cutting.
Old 2009-11-04, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Framing is not required in the basement. Why would they? Most if not all builders are the same.
Up here in the Ottawa area, most builders do have framing in their basement.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-11-04, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Thanks for your comments everyone!

The cost is about the same as dri-core but don't forget the 1" foam is included in that price...so for about the same price you get the same benefits, plus increased R-5 warmth.

I am defnitely removing the bag insulation that the builder installed and I will be sprayfoaming - with the energy rebates (up to $2000 if R-23) the cost ends up being just a bit more than batt insulation.

As far as cutting is concerned, I agree that there would be a lot more cutting with the dri-core product, but much easier to cut as it is 2' lengths instead of 4' or 8' to cut. I wanted the strength of a solid 4x8 sheet instead of all the seams in 2x2 panels.

Steve
Old 2009-11-04, 11:18 AM
Regular User

my ottawa mattamy is not framed either..

Did you use the 1"pink on the floor just for the R value?

We use our unfinised basement right now for tv watching and kids play area. I want to start finishing the basement in stages...

Im guessing that installing a sub floor would be stage one?
Is a sub floor mandatory if your going to just use carpet? The finished basemtns from builders come with no subfloors im sure... I guess the sub floor benefit is reduction in moisture and a bit of warmth

Anyway the work looks good so far..

What are you plans for framing? Will us frame then spray foam? Wood or metal studs?

Keep this thread up to date with your progress...

I was wonder if the included insulation could be used with the addition of insulation below the builder stuff?
Old 2009-11-04, 01:29 PM
Regular User

TKG26:

I used the 1" pink insulation for R value indeed. A lot of heat is lost through your basement floor so with the Platon system, R-5 pink, and 5/8 OSB I am probably getting at least an R-8.

Installing the subfloor is a great first step as you can then still use the basement (although you'd have to watch for splinters!).

I am going to be using 2x4 wood studs and spray foaming the walls and headers. Do not re-use the builder's bag insulation - rip it off and insulate properly from the headers right down to the floor. You will have a warm and toasty basement without any worries of mold or moisture.

Good luck with your project!

I will keep posting updates here as I complete them.