Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-07-09, 09:18 PM

Default Mattamy on Barrhaven Mews last minute delays, anyone?

Hi all,

Has anyone gotten any last minute delays on Barrhaven Mews? Or anywhere else from Mattamy? We were supposed to close one week from now, on July 16th. This was already 120 days after the original closing date and they called this morning to say the house won't be ready until September 18th, another 63 days for a total of 183 days of delay!

It will take me too long to explain how inconvenient this delay is for us, in many, many ways, and only with a week notice! Specially when I expressed some concerns last week on my framewalk and I was told everything was OK.

I'm so disappointed that I'm even considering calling the deal off and buy a house somewhere else (Under Tarion, we can do it if they delay the closing date more than 120 days)

Is anyone on the same situation now? (or has been before?) Any ideas on the type of compensation I should be asking for if I decide to keep the house anyway? Anyone willing to share the pain!?

Barrhaven Mews, 14-4.

Last edited by hcg; 2008-07-09 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Change the title to include builder name.
Old 2008-07-09, 09:58 PM
Regular User

I certainly don't want to P!ss anyone off BUT -

I can't help but think that this will happen to many people in HMB. I just cant see how they're going to close so many houses in such a short time.

If you had known 120 days ago that it would actually be 180+ days delayed would your decisions be any different? Mine would - but now that you've watied....I think they're banking on that....

Sorry - and best wishes for sorting everything out
Old 2008-07-09, 10:05 PM
Regular User

you did a framewalk a week ago (for arguments sake we'll say the 2nd) and they told you then that they'd still be able to meet their closing date 2 weeks later?

May I ask which of the builders it is? Ovi or the other one? It is insane to even pretend a house could have been finished that fast after the framewalk. I cannot blame you for considering to back out, but at this point you can always either ride it out in a hotel with your stuff in storage (both of which at mattamy's expense), or you can back out and buy something else. Should you choose to back out I suspect it will take more then 2 months to fin a place that'll make you happy (so backing out may be slower then just riding it out.

Either way, ****ty deal
Old 2008-07-09, 10:16 PM
Regular User

WOW! That is unbelievable. I can't believe they didn't know about a delay like this sooner. It will be interesting to find out what kind of compensation they offer you at this point, besides paying for other accommodations. It is probably worth it to talk to a lawyer and Tarion and see what you are entitled to.

This probably trumps any other Mattamy delay talked about on this forum. I agree with the earlier post that this may become more common at Mattamy's current rate. I am in Fairwinds North, supposedly closing on Sept 23rd and they are framing my house this week. I haven't heard of any delay let... kinda scary.

Good luck with everything... I hope it works out ok.
Old 2008-07-09, 10:21 PM
Regular User

Just wondering if Mattamy has any cap on the type of accommodation, are rooms at the Westin or Marriott, for example, re-imbursed ?

You can always get an inventory house with other shops in Barrhaven. It will take about 4 months to get settled though so you may just be better off hanging on with these guys.
Old 2008-07-09, 10:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMatt View Post
This probably trumps any other Mattamy delay talked about on this forum. I agree with the earlier post that this may become more common at Mattamy's current rate. I am in Fairwinds North, supposedly closing on Sept 23rd and they are framing my house this week. I haven't heard of any delay let... kinda scary.
You are probably be ok, once the framing is done, they can finish the house off in about 2 months time. But keep a close eye on it - that way you will know if you will get a sudden call to delay you or not!
Old 2008-07-09, 10:28 PM
Regular User

That really sucks... they should have known a month ago they were not going to close on time, so why not tell you then so you can make arrangements!

I really wish Mattamy would stop trying to rush to meet a closing date or these last minute delays. Just delay people ahead of time (with enough notice) and get the job done properly. I know a delay is not great, but at least the house will not be a rush job.

Check with your lawyer or tarion on what your options are. Mattamy might need to compensate you for this, but I think there is a limit on how much.

At your framewalk - were things mostly done? If not, that would have been a good sign of a delay was coming up (no way they can finish a house in 2 weeks if the dry wall is not up, floors not in, kitchen not done, etc)
Old 2008-07-09, 10:33 PM
Regular User

Now thats wht i call a nightmare....I feel for u....u should def. take up formal complaint against builder with Tarion...u should be getting some good compensation...

Ash
Old 2008-07-09, 10:43 PM
Regular User

I don't think Tarion compensation is as good as you think it to be. Hopefully I'm wrong but make sure you keep receipts. I guess you best call Tarion to get their take on whats going on.

Sorry to hear the frustrations you are going through. Not a very good experience for sure.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-07-09, 10:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulikh View Post
Now thats wht i call a nightmare....I feel for u....u should def. take up formal complaint against builder with Tarion...u should be getting some good compensation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Just wondering if Mattamy has any cap on the type of accommodation, are rooms at the Westin or Marriott, for example, re-imbursed ?
Tarion says that once the closing date is missed by 120 days, buyers are eligible to receive $100 a day for living expenses, plus additional amounts for furniture storage and moving. The maximum payout is $5,000.