Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Houses For Sale

Houses For Sale Post your house for sale, either by owner or agent.

Old 2011-08-23, 12:48 PM
Regular User

Default Woodbridge Home for Sale Q

I am looking to list my current home and wondering what peoples thoughts are about selling (a) privately, (b) through a flat-fee service with MLS listing, and (c) through traditional means such as a MLS agent?

My home is at Major Mackenzie and Weston, a single detached home, 9 foot ceilings main floor, espresso hardwood, dark cabinets, high-end stainless steel appliances, limestone mantle/fireplace, open concept 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home.

If I go with option (a) and or (b), I would pass savings of commission to prospective buyers and list the price lower than I would have with option (c). Either way, me and the prospective buyer does better off.

So what are peoples thought on the options and whether it would be better to go with a full service agent?

Thanks.
Old 2011-08-23, 02:40 PM
Regular User

If you are not going to gain from listing on your own because you are listing it at a lower price then I would just list with an agent.

Way too much hassle to go through just so someone else can get a better deal.

We sold our house in the same area you are in..I pressume Vellore Woods or Village in just 1 day with competing offers. We had so many showings we refused some.

In hindsight(sp?) we should have listed privately and tried to save some commision as the agent did not break a sweat. (hindsight is 20/20)

The agent took care of everything and I am sure in many cases they are well worth their price, but in some cases it goes the other way.

It's a tough call...Iyou are having thoughts of listing on your own do it first prior to getting an agent involved and offer the other agents a commision...I would imagine it is easier and less of a hassle to list with an agent after you tried privately

Good Luck!
Old 2011-08-23, 04:07 PM
Regular User

Thanks. No agent is directly involved at the moment. A few have pitched their business. Essentially you are paying for a Real Estate Agents network. In the IP world we live in, a Network is less important. The web reaches so many. I know everyone that I talk too, goes to MLS.ca for listings and then contact an agent. If they like what they see or like the description it may prompt them to come in.

So you sold in a day. Wow impressive. Obviously bids were involved. When did you sell?
Old 2011-08-23, 04:46 PM
Regular User

If you have the time and energy fot it I would definitely try to sell privately.

I've sold 2 houses that way and very happy I did. It does take a bit of work and is a bit of a hassel but it's worth it in the end, just think at $500,000, you save $25,000... I've done a lot more work for a lot less money and I could put up with a bit of hassel for that much money.

You might think that if you sell with an agent you'll list the house for more and get more than if you try to sell privately but that's no guarantee... from personal experience, I had the same house listed with an agent and privately and the offers were more or less the same.

Just look at the previous poster, his house sold in a day and he had to pay 5%. It's not for everybody but if you're smart about it it's not that hard to do... I would do it again for sure...
Old 2011-08-23, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristaVVE View Post
So you sold in a day. Wow impressive. Obviously bids were involved. When did you sell?
We sold last February. We listed and did not take offers for 4 days..the people that eventually bought lost out on 2 homes near by the week prior so they came in with offer over asking (i guess its called a bully offer) firm with no conditions. Other bids came in at asking but had conditions, at the end we ended up selling to a young couple like ourselves that had a little son.

Very smooth transaction. Especially with the showings and not having to be home and the broker office setting it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arigold View Post
Just look at the previous poster, his house sold in a day and he had to pay 5%. It's not for everybody but if you're smart about it it's not that hard to do... I would do it again for sure...
Thankfully I negotiated down and did not pay anywhere near 5% total
Old 2011-08-23, 05:37 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Go W/ Agent
Old 2011-08-23, 08:59 PM
Regular User

We sold a few months ago with an agent as well. We were at Jane and Teston, another in demand area. We listed Monday morning, had an offer Monday evening. With some maneuvering by our agent, we used that offer as leverage. Ended up with competing bids Tues evening and sold above asking. I think it may be easy to market it yourself but an experienced agent can really make the difference in navigating the emotional side of the transaction, both to manage you as the seller and others as potential buyers. Our agent was great, had a great marketing plan, discussed strategy well (everything is strategy including day of week to list), hold off bids formally or informally, using professional photographers etc.

If you do end up listing yourself, do get a professional real estate photographer. I hate those HDR images. IMHO, images can look fake when HDR programs are used indiscriminately.

Last edited by LB1; 2011-08-23 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2011-08-24, 01:21 PM
Regular User

Thanks LB1, how much more than asking did you get represented as a %. Do you think you would have ended up with more if you didnt go with an agent. Considering I have greater than 6 months, I may try pption B, and a month later go with Option C.

I know there are pro's cons to all approaches, but it will make for a good learning experience.
Old 2011-08-24, 04:20 PM
Regular User

Not too much, just a few K above, less than 1%. I don't think i would have sold that fast without an agent. Perhaps ended with similar amount of money in our pocket but longer on the market. That in itself would have entailed carrying costs from having 2 mortgages, utilities, insurance etc.

Good luck with option B. If you need option C, I can refer my agent. She's awesome.
Old 2011-08-25, 12:41 PM
Regular User

What are the avenues of selling privately that people mostly review.
For example:
craigslist
Kajiji (sp?)
MLS (with a fee)
Property guys
Flyers for the neigbourhood
Personal website

Can I assume there are other good places to promte your home?