Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-01-26, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Hahaha yes yes

I popped off the quarter-round on the weekend and drilled a hole in each corner of the basement, to feed the wire down. Worked out great! My wife was pretty happy to come home and see all the wires hidden, the mantle clear, and to see how neat a job I did with it. Woot woot! Now to shop around for some nice floor speakers that are subtle enough to "blend in" but great enough to rock my world, hehe.
What speakers did you have in mind? I need/want new ones after we move to the new place next summer. I've been doing some research and the ones I want to audition are not readily available in Canada. Let us know what you find.
Old 2010-01-26, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_rx View Post
What speakers did you have in mind? I need/want new ones after we move to the new place next summer. I've been doing some research and the ones I want to audition are not readily available in Canada. Let us know what you find.
Honestly I have no clue. I'm new to the world of HT equipment. I've got a half-decent idea what's what in the recording industry for mixing, monitoring, etc., but I don't really know where to start for this sort of thing. Any head start would be great... other than that I plan to just pop back on over to AVSForum and read until my head explodes
Old 2010-01-26, 04:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
other than that I plan to just pop back on over to AVSForum and read until my head explodes
That's pretty much how I do all of my AV research!

The other day I was looking up Audyssey sound EQ technology and found a thread... with 22,000 replies That was a long evening...
Old 2010-01-26, 08:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
That's pretty much how I do all of my AV research!

The other day I was looking up Audyssey sound EQ technology and found a thread... with 22,000 replies That was a long evening...
Oh my god yes those threads kill me. But yeah, all of the answers are hidden therein :P
Old 2010-01-27, 12:17 PM
Regular User

We can all read forums until we're deaf or we can start listening to our systems as we read more forums, yes?

I started pursuing my audio interests about eight years ago and went with a brand and dealer that allowed an "upgrade path". Unfortunately, the dealer went bankrupt after my first upgrade with the speakers.

Best (made sense to me) advise I got starting out, start with the best speakers you can buy as the core of your system. Then upgrade each component from the speakers back to the source (e.g. CD player). I haven't completed one complete revolution yet. Speakers done, speaker wires done, power amp done, processor done for 2-channel but waiting for pre-pro, sources not done. I hope to do both source upgrade and 2nd round speaker upgrade this year if finances permit. (Darn new houses).

We can start a list of the local hi-fi dealers in Ottawa on another post for old and new members alike. Then add internet only companies, etc. Maybe I'll start sometime this weekend.
Old 2010-01-29, 08:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_rx View Post
We can all read forums until we're deaf or we can start listening to our systems as we read more forums, yes?

I started pursuing my audio interests about eight years ago and went with a brand and dealer that allowed an "upgrade path". Unfortunately, the dealer went bankrupt after my first upgrade with the speakers.

Best (made sense to me) advise I got starting out, start with the best speakers you can buy as the core of your system. Then upgrade each component from the speakers back to the source (e.g. CD player). I haven't completed one complete revolution yet. Speakers done, speaker wires done, power amp done, processor done for 2-channel but waiting for pre-pro, sources not done. I hope to do both source upgrade and 2nd round speaker upgrade this year if finances permit. (Darn new houses).

We can start a list of the local hi-fi dealers in Ottawa on another post for old and new members alike. Then add internet only companies, etc. Maybe I'll start sometime this weekend.
Great idea!