Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2011-01-12, 07:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
If your contractor is saying you don't need the permit then look for another contractor.

IMO, if you're hiring someone to do 100% of the work because you're not capable, get a permit. If you're doing the work yourself and you actually know what you're doing then don't, with the exception of the electrical. I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying that.
When I finished the basement in my last place myself I did get a permit from the city as well as an electrical permit. I am not so sure I would do the same thing next time though. From all I saw the city permit really didn't add anything (except for a few hundred dollars to my tax bill each year) because their inspectors were there for a total of maybe 2 minutes. They never requested any changes nor made any comments. When I sold my place this past summer no one ever asked to see any permits.

I guess I will get an electrical permit again (for insurance purposes more than anything), though, this was sort of a scam last time also. With the electrical permit I was supposed to get two inspections. The inspector did come and do a first inspection but it took me quite a while to finish my basement after that (we had a child before I could finish it). After about a year I received a paper in the mail from them stating that I had passed inspection (even though they never did come back for a second inspection). I'm not sure how I could pass without them doing the second inspection though maybe after the first one they thought I knew what I was doing. I have no idea.
Old 2011-01-12, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
When I sold my place this past summer no one ever asked to see any permits.
Thanks, Gerapau, for sharing your selling experience. Who actually sold their homes before? If yes, did the potential buyers insist to see the building permit?
Old 2011-01-12, 10:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshai View Post
Thanks, Gerapau, for sharing your selling experience. Who actually sold their homes before? If yes, did the potential buyers insist to see the building permit?
No one asked but I wonder if there is any way for them to see if permits were pulled without having to ask me?
Old 2011-01-12, 12:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
No one asked but I wonder if there is any way for them to see if permits were pulled without having to ask me?
I think you can go to the city and request to see what has been pulled. I know in burlington it is as easy as going on to the online mapping finding the lot and clicking details.

I can still see the original building permit, permit extension, deck permit and now my basement renovation permit.

As much as the permits have been somewhat of a pain in the backside I vote for having them.

I just switched insurance companies and when we got to my home they asked about my basement, finished or not finished...when finished they have requested I supply the final inspection and ensure I notify them to include the "added value" to my insurance.
Old 2011-01-14, 02:21 PM
Regular User

My best friends uncle sold a home last year in upper Millcroft, had no permit for the basement and the buyer forced them to break walls for an electrical inspection as part of the purchase offer.

Your home is your biggest investment, why take risks? And yes if you have an insurance claim for a fire or something horrific, your insurance company will likely not pay out, they have departments that look for this kind of excuse to avoid payment for a claim.

So I guess what I'm saying is I have a permit.
Old 2011-01-15, 12:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlington1971 View Post
My best friends uncle sold a home last year in upper Millcroft, had no permit for the basement and the buyer forced them to break walls for an electrical inspection as part of the purchase offer.
As others have mentioned, an electrical inspection pre/post finishing for insurance, yes.

A potential buyer comes and wants to break open walls? I laugh and laugh and laugh.....
Old 2011-01-15, 09:16 AM
Regular User

Just to clarify, the three inspections all have possible insurance/safety implications. Building, Plumbing, and Electrical.

And if a buyer wants something, you may laugh, but if you are in a position of needing to sell, they will be the ones laughing.

It doesn't make any sense to cheap out on permits. IMO