Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-04-11, 05:18 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb Porcelain Tiles

We Originally Thought Of Getting Carpet For The Kitchen And Foyer, And Ripping Out The Carpet To Put Granite/Marble Tiles.

Even For Countertops Granite Doesn't Have A Clean Look, I Rather Get Quartz, Looks Much Cleaner (IMO)

Now, When I Think About It I Really Don't Like The Idea, Granite Doesn't Look That Nice, Like Marble, But Marble Is Harder To Maintain, Plus The Cost To Get Marble.

I Heard I Could Get Glazed Porcelain, That Looks Like Marble, And It's Cheaper, Plus Maintaince Is WAY Easier.

But Anyway We're Still Getting Carpet For The Kitchen And Foyer, And Ripping Out The Carpet To Put Porcelain, Much More Choices, Than Builders Porcelain.

Also Do You Have To Seal Porcelain Like Granite?

Just Want To Get Thoughts On Whether Porcelain Is Worth, I Really Like The Look.

Last edited by Selvi; 2011-04-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2011-04-11, 05:39 PM
Regular User

It's great if Greenpark allowed you to put carpet in the kitchen. One disadvantage that I see to this is they might not do a good job with securing your plywood (you are getting plywood, right?) Subfloor to the joists since they don't have to support tiles.
Old 2011-04-11, 05:41 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Don't Know If I'm Getting Plywood. IDK What Plywood Is LOL
Old 2011-04-11, 06:01 PM
Regular User

What, all that expensive flooring without insisting on plywood subfloor? GP usually uses that cheaper wood chip board glued together that warps at the edges.
Old 2011-04-11, 07:48 PM
Regular User

There is no way GP will allow you to put carpet in the kitchen and good luck with the foyer too.

I have a raised foyer and the original plan had tiles in the foyer as well as on the main floor from the foyer to the edge of my living room. I only wanted tile in the foyer and not on my floor because I wanted to do hardwood all the way to the edge. They played hardball with me to erase those tiles and they said they promised the tiling company to have a certain amount of tiling to do per house. After I made a fuss, they forced me to pay them to erase those tiles and I heard from people who tried to do the same thing after me that they plain refused.

So like I said, good luck! Another reason I think they would never do that in a kitchen is the water. It could cause moisture-related problems and hence warranty issues they will not want to have to deal with.
Old 2011-04-12, 07:50 AM
Regular User

Selvi, just out of curiosity, when you say that you are getting certain things, do you mean that you plan to get these things or you are actually getting these things. I.e. You have gone for your first and second decor centre appointments and signed off on these things. I'm just curios how you got GP to agree to changes that they are usually strict with.
Old 2011-04-12, 03:38 PM
Regular User

I think R D G was asking out of curiousity and wasnt trying to stir the pot. This forum is here to provide help/support to prospective buyers, so I would suggest that you hear people out. You have asked for advice on many occassions and people have gratiously provided it, so please be thankful and not forceful.
Old 2011-04-12, 04:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristaVVE View Post
I think R D G was asking out of curiousity and wasnt trying to stir the pot. This forum is here to provide help/support to prospective buyers, so I would suggest that you hear people out. You have asked for advice on many occassions and people have gratiously provided it, so please be thankful and not forceful.
Thanks AristaVVE. I take it that there are deleted entries in this thread. Do I want to know what I missed?

Thanks,
RDG
Old 2011-04-12, 04:41 PM
Regular User

Yes there was one deleted post which I thought was out of line. You are better off not knowing, nothing big, and nothing worth repeating.

Enjoy the summer like day... bbq season is upon us!
Old 2011-04-12, 04:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristaVVE View Post
Yes there was one deleted post which I thought was out of line. You are better off not knowing, nothing big, and nothing worth repeating.

Enjoy the summer like day... bbq season is upon us!
LOL. Will enjoy the day as soon as I get home.