Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-10-07, 11:06 AM
Regular User

Went many years in a condo with no landline and no problems. When I moved into the house I had one put in for the alarm monitoring. The few times I have long phone calls (e.g. customer service calls or teleconferencing) I sure appreciated the landline.
Old 2009-10-07, 11:06 AM
Regular User

They can approximately determine the position of your cell phone by looking at which cell tower you're connected to, and if there are neighboring cell towers that are being picked up, they can triangulate. Apparently all modern cell phones have GPS location ability now, assisted by the carrier network (e.g. the phones don't necessary have all the satellite gear that a traditional GPS unit does).

Anyway, I keep both, because I want to have a backup for blackouts, and also because I don't always have my cell phone on! Sometimes I forget, and sometimes the battery dies because I forget to charge it overnight. It happens. Also, I have an answering machine built into my home phone and I prefer to use that than to pay a monthly fee for the voice mail service. Finally, for what little long distance calling I use, it's cheaper with Bell than with Fido.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:21 PM
Regular User

cellphone triangulation/gps is not as effective/efficient as a landline. in a neighbourhood setting ems would have a hard time knowing where to go - a 100m radius wouldn't be unreasonable and would mean they'd have to start knocking on doors. not a good idea when time is brain.
Old 2009-10-07, 02:29 PM
Regular User

After living through the Ice Storm in Montreal and the blackout in Toronto (what great timing I have!) I'm definitely going to have a land line in my house. The Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) is the most reliable around. I'm willing to pay the $20 a month as a sort of insurance policy to protect my family (and my house) when the time comes. I'm probably going to sign up through a reseller like TekSavvy just so I don't have to deal (directly) with Bell again.

The reason SkypeIn, where you get a real phone number through Skype, isn't allowed in Canada is because of the E911 regulations that must be satisfied for VOIP numbers. That is, when any number in Canada calls 911, it must be possible for the 911 dispatcher to know where that call is coming from. Skype doesn't want to bother with this expensive proposition, so they just don't offer the service in Canada. Skype wasn't blocked by anyone as far as I know.

For more info about mobile phones, GPS, and 911 in Canada, look here:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1035.htm
Old 2009-10-10, 05:12 PM
Regular User

We are planning one regular line in the den and one upstairs in the master bedroom. All the other phone will ones of those wireless handset kit that come with 4-5 phones. That's what I have in my current place, no problems.
Then maybe skype for longdistance to the P&M.
Cheers
Old 2009-10-10, 09:40 PM
Regular User

In addition to the reasons given by others, I like having a landline cause I don't like carrying my cellphone everywhere I go. If I don't have a landline, that means that my cell has to be on me at all times (mine's on vibrate all the time). This is annoying if I'm wearing my pajamas. If you don't have the phone on you, that means you're running up and down the stairs to get the phone. I'd rather have a landline phone in every room.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:15 PM
Regular User

The only reason for me to have a landline is for my alarm system.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Landline for alarm system, local calls, brownouts.
Skype or yahoo phone for long distance in north america or certain countries.
Cell for being "everywhere, anytime" and texting with kids.
Old 2009-10-15, 12:32 AM
Regular User

I use www.voip.ms for a home line. It's pay as you go, ½ ¢ per minute to most places in Canada, supports 911 and I got to keep my phone number after I dumped Bell. My phone charges come to about $8-10 every month with regular usage...compared to my old $45 Bell bill for a phone line with far less features.
Old 2011-05-18, 02:20 PM
Regular User

I don't use a landline - have had only cellular for the past few years and never a problem.

However, that said - there are good reasons to have a landline - 911, or if you have kids - a line for the babysitter, or for someone else to use to call you if they are houseitting for any reason.

With our new home purchase, we will be adding a no-frills landline - it's more for an insurance / peace of mind thing.