Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2011-04-22, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Left to right, nib pointing down:

WG
G
WO
B
WB
O
WBn
Bn
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-04-22, 04:26 PM
Regular User

oh. yes i had the nib pointing down, but i used 568B.
Old 2011-05-18, 09:06 AM
Regular User

One simple alternative to extending your network with little hassle is to look at Western Digital's LiveWire product. Seach for it on BB or FS...

Plug your router/office PC into one 4-port unit and plug the second 4-port unit anywhere into an outlet in the house (for the PS3, media streamer, etc) - it extends over the wiring....up to 200Mbps which is more than fine for any internal home application.

Just food for thought!
Old 2011-05-18, 10:19 AM
Regular User

I know about those. but I had already paid for the wiring in advance (2 years ago). they gave me the wrong cables. plus why live with a theoretical max of 200Mbps when you can have a theoretical max of 1Gbps?
Old 2011-05-18, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Oh don't get me wrong - if you paid for but got the wrong cables it should be done right for you, and who wouldn't want gigabit throughput on a home network if you paid for it?

With internet speeds to the home well below gigabit for the forseeable future, and data\media streaming not needing that amount of bandwidth - it's a theoretical nice to have but is not necessary for most home use.

If you're doing CAD design and have a server in the house doing alot of large data transfers then sure - but a typical user wouldn't really take advantage of gigabit bandwidth.

I'd say the bulk of home networks are for internet sharing and media streaming of some sort...even 100Mbps networks are more than capable of handling that load.

Was just highlighting it as an option for those considering the daunting task of having to add network cabling to the home. I've done enough patch panels, punch-downs and ethernet crimping in my life to see it a viable option than swearing into the silent air ducts, nooks and crannies.
Old 2011-05-18, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Look in the returns bin at your favourite electronics stores for the powerline networking options. Usually returned by people who couldn't get them to work in their houses. The devices are extremely finicky.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-05-19, 11:06 AM
Regular User

i'm not doing anything important, but who knows what i'll do in 5 years. just a few years ago, did you think that you'd end up sticking a network cable in your TV?
Old 2011-05-19, 11:25 AM
Regular User

With today's pace of technology, I imagine in another 5 years the mainstream will be running multi-mode fiber all through the house....it just never ends.

Then the forums here will evolve into what transceivers to use, coupling issues, acceptable bends, attenuation...all sorts of new fun things to curse.