Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2013-05-31, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Default I. Hate. Compression. Fittings.

Installing the water line to my new fridge, I remember from last time around how much I bloody hate compression fittings. I'm always really cautious not to over-tighten, and I make sure i have a nice straight end to the copper line so that I don't get a bend crimping the line and weakening the seal, and yet I still end up with a incredibly slow leak after the fact. I slowly continue to tighten in the hope that it solves the issue, yet continue to see a drop appear every couple of minutes. Why do I have such misery with these things...

Back to Home Depot I go tomorrow to buy a braided stainless water line instead of this copper + compression fitting crap. UGH.
Old 2013-06-01, 08:31 PM
Regular User

Are you used the brass Ferrule? Not plastic or a brass insert?(used for plastic hoses)

Should be looking like this and secured like this:

The nut and furrele should be just slightly threaded on and then the copper line pushed in firmly and held in place as you tighten the nut. Bottom it out then disconnect and the furrele should be firmly attached to the copper line
Old 2013-06-03, 02:50 PM
Regular User

I much prefer the braided SS lines. So much more flexible and forgiving.
Old 2013-06-03, 09:24 PM
Regular User

Yep it was a brass ferrule and no sleeve. I may well have botched the part where you need to push the copper line in further once it starts to thread. I have no doubt I'm just bad at them, but I still figured that with all the movement of the line when you pull the fridge out to clean back there, the braided line with the rubber washer was a better option.

It's all done now, so it's kind of a moot point, but I really do suck at those fittings. This entire appliance install adventure has been a lesson in not over-tightening fittings. The best approach really seems to be: hand-tighten, then do a 1/4 or 1/2 turn with a wrench, and finally turn on the water and only tighten further if you see a leak. Common sense to you guys who deal with plumbing or gas I'm sure, but I'm an electrical guy. This stuff is voodoo to me :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
Are you used the brass Ferrule? Not plastic or a brass insert?(used for plastic hoses)

Should be looking like this and secured like this:

The nut and furrele should be just slightly threaded on and then the copper line pushed in firmly and held in place as you tighten the nut. Bottom it out then disconnect and the furrele should be firmly attached to the copper line
Old 2013-06-03, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
I much prefer the braided SS lines. So much more flexible and forgiving.
Amen brother!