Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Financing, Mortgages and Insurance

Financing, Mortgages and Insurance What options are best for you and your situation?

Old 2009-09-13, 11:01 PM
Regular User

Arrow If a var.mortgage can be changed any time to fixed, why'd u take fixed if its higher

so like the title was asking
if in fact you can switch over from variable to fixed at any time
then why would anyone take a 'fixed' off the bat if the rate's higher than the variable (which it is right now)..
Wouldn't you just switch to fixed when you see the variable rates starting to increase...

anyone?
Old 2009-09-13, 11:34 PM
Regular User

variable depends on the prime rate. fixed rate does not. if BoC came out and jacks the prime rate to stem inflation you'll be paying more. but at the same time the fixed rates may also be on the rise.

in the long run you could save locking in at 4%. but it's a crystal ball type thing. have a look at some of the historical rates. late 80s to early 90s will provide a fairly decent idea of what you could be looking at in terms of lending rates in 4-5 years.

I think I'm going to test the variable rate myself for at least a year.

Old 2009-09-14, 07:28 AM
Regular User

Because if you decide you want to switch to the fixed rate at some point, you will usually be stuck with the bank's posted rate at that time, which is generally not very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedBlue View Post
so like the title was asking
if in fact you can switch over from variable to fixed at any time
then why would anyone take a 'fixed' off the bat if the rate's higher than the variable (which it is right now)..
Wouldn't you just switch to fixed when you see the variable rates starting to increase...

anyone?
Old 2009-09-14, 12:55 PM
Regular User

Simply because whenever you switch to the fixed rate mortgage you only get the then rates and not today's fixed rates. So if rates are in general higher, your fixed rate then would be higher too.

i've been thinking of going variable but this news abt the expectation of prime rates going up fairly steeply (if and when BoC eventually starts raising them) is giving me serious grief. At this point I might just sit quiet and stay with a fixed rate ... just to be safe.
Old 2009-09-19, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minto_home View Post
Simply because whenever you switch to the fixed rate mortgage you only get the then rates and not today's fixed rates. So if rates are in general higher, your fixed rate then would be higher too.

i've been thinking of going variable but this news abt the expectation of prime rates going up fairly steeply (if and when BoC eventually starts raising them) is giving me serious grief. At this point I might just sit quiet and stay with a fixed rate ... just to be safe.

Minto is correct, variable rates although seperate from fixed rates, due tend to increase and decrease with the market place. Typically what you'll find is that fixed rates will increase as the BOC rate increases even though there is no real correlation.

To be sure what works for you, see what your varaible deal is now and how long you expect rates to stay this low. BOC says rates wont change until atleast mid-2010 and some economists forecast that rates will stay consistent until at least 2011. What you want to compare is whether being in such a low rate for a year or two and a higher rate in the last few years still makes financial sense. A lot of times being in a variable for a period of time prior to changing to a fixed actually saves you money then if you had been in a fixed rate the entire time. To be honest, historically speaking, you'll always save money going variable. However, market timing is important as well.
Old 2009-09-20, 10:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
Minto is correct, variable rates although seperate from fixed rates, due tend to increase and decrease with the market place. Typically what you'll find is that fixed rates will increase as the BOC rate increases even though there is no real correlation.

To be sure what works for you, see what your varaible deal is now and how long you expect rates to stay this low. BOC says rates wont change until atleast mid-2010 and some economists forecast that rates will stay consistent until at least 2011. What you want to compare is whether being in such a low rate for a year or two and a higher rate in the last few years still makes financial sense. A lot of times being in a variable for a period of time prior to changing to a fixed actually saves you money then if you had been in a fixed rate the entire time. To be honest, historically speaking, you'll always save money going variable. However, market timing is important as well.
fixed rates move with the long term bond market, which the bank of canada has little influence over.
Old 2009-09-21, 02:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
fixed rates move with the long term bond market, which the bank of canada has little influence over.
Bond rates and interest rates adveresly affect each other. If bond rates rise, interest rates drop and vice versa. Variable rates will never be the same as fixed rates.
Old 2009-09-21, 05:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupini View Post
Bond rates and interest rates adveresly affect each other. If bond rates rise, interest rates drop and vice versa. Variable rates will never be the same as fixed rates.
i agree that variable and fixed rates are not connected, but what are you referring to by "bond rates"?

if bond prices rise, the yield (effective interest rate) drops and fixed mortgage rates should drop.