Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-08-31, 08:59 AM

Default Gas Range- Instalation of Gas line/Range required

Hello all,

Just purchase a home (C.H. Clement Build) and looking into upgrading appliances.

The missus is hellbent on aquiring a natural gas range for the kitchen.

The home is allready equipped with a 'branch point' for up to 5 appliances (ie: BBQ is allready hooked up).

We are looking for a recomendation as to who can bring the gas line up to the kitchen, and have it installed to the stove.

Does anyone know what is involved?
As far as I know, the 40A outlet needs to be retrofited to 15A...but I may be wrong.

Thanking you in advance,
R & K
Old 2009-08-31, 09:26 AM
Regular User

Converting the outlet can't be too tough, replace 40A breaker with 20A, and use only one phase so that you step it down to 110V. You can just use a 5-20 receptacle (North American T-blade).

Then all you need is the gas line.

The only other thing you may need is clearance between the top of the burner and the cabinets. I can't remember what the building code says, but there has to be a certain distance, so if you have a bottom valence on the cabinets, it usually needs to be cut back a few inches.

Old 2009-08-31, 09:31 AM
Regular User

My cousin does this type of work (runs his own company) you could give him a call and see if he has time; PM me if you want his details.
Old 2009-08-31, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Converting the outlet can't be too tough, replace 40A breaker with 20A, and use only one phase so that you step it down to 110V. You can just use a 5-20 receptacle (North American T-blade).

Then all you need is the gas line.

The only other thing you may need is clearance between the top of the burner and the cabinets. I can't remember what the building code says, but there has to be a certain distance, so if you have a bottom valence on the cabinets, it usually needs to be cut back a few inches.
This is primarily my on concern-

i'm fairly handy, and am somewhat concidering doing this myself.

is there not a 20A breaker that can be retrofittied to a 40A? and if so, is it not bulky? I don't want the stove to be sticking out, unparallell to the counters...

I've researched this online, and have been getting confliciting quotes from 150-400 for this job, yet certainly do consider that this is something thats on a case to case basis.
Old 2009-08-31, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockvegas View Post

is there not a 20A breaker that can be retrofittied to a 40A? and if so, is it not bulky? I don't want the stove to be sticking out, unparallell to the counters...

I've researched this online, and have been getting confliciting quotes from 150-400 for this job, yet certainly do consider that this is something thats on a case to case basis.
I've never switched the outlets like you're suggesting, but in my experience, electrical work is some of the easiest stuff you can do in your house. Just goto Homedepot and ask what the procedure is; they're very helpful over there.
Old 2009-08-31, 10:01 AM
Regular User

I had my gas stove rough in done by technician from Sears. He asked me to buy an Adapter from Home Depot to convert 110 V to whatever the gas stove actually needs.

He was charging $10 / ft to run the line from furnace to gas stove and since my stove was just above the furnace so it did not cost me whole a lot.
Old 2009-08-31, 11:05 AM

awesome thanks alot guys/girls :-)
Old 2009-08-31, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockvegas View Post

The replacement breaker goes in your electrical panel, and you just buy a double-gang box to single recessed adaptor for the receptacle.

As the other poster mentioned, you can also get an adapter for the receptacle itself. Probably the easiest way to do this, but there isn't always clearance to accomodate this at the bottom of the stove .