Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-09-08, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Default Cat5e or Cat6

I was at the office of the wiring contractor for a lot of builders here in Ottawa last week. I asked one design consultant about using cat6 instead of cat5e. The person said that the company can do it but would do either of the following: a) not terminate the cables at both ends; or b) terminate the cables but would be "expensive" since cat6 is a four-step process.

I thought the cat6 termination is similar to cat5/e with 8P8C. Now, I'm not sure what to do as option B scared me a bit. Assuming that the person is correct about the four-step termination process, would this incur a lot of expertise and expensive tools?

I fancy myself as handy (and too old to be embarassed) that I'll try anything myself. I've been wiring my existing home with additional cat5e connections without any known problems.

Thanks.
Old 2009-09-08, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Keep in mind there are also different types of cat6 cabling. I don't notice any difference with cat5 and cat6 connections, but I don't use it for streaming media. To future proof a bit, try using solid cat6 and cat6 ends. I think cat5 ends will fit cat 6 cable, if you can't get cat6 bits (the cables and ends are pretty much indistinguishable from one another).
Old 2009-09-08, 11:47 AM
Regular User

CAT6 requires a lot more work to terminate. Each pair has to be seperated by special plastic spacers, and the wires themselves are more tightly wound. That, and to be certified "CAT6", they have to be tested against NEXT, FEXT, and PSNEXT with a TDR tool like a Fluke.

All connectors and punchblocks also have to conform to CAT6 specs (Nordx Gigabix, Panduit Gig punch blocks).

I would steer away from any company installing CAT6 for the same price as CAT5e, as they are NOT terminated the same way.
Old 2009-09-08, 06:28 PM
Administrator

I think they are just trying to steer you away from it.. Not sure why they would call it a 4 step process as everything pretty much goes together the same way. They'll test for continuity, but I doubt they certify it, not for a residential installation at least.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-09-09, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at these products in cablemart and most are labeled as cat5/e/6 products. http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=51

I also looked at a few youtube videos on terminating cat6 and I didn't see anything different.

Another option that I'm considering is add a cat6 wire in addition to the standard cat5e but leave the cat6 unterminated in the plate and in the basement. I hope the price is not too much for this option. I have to sign Schedule B (including wiring) with Richcraft next week so I have to decide quickly.

Also, what's the work like and success rate for fishing various wires in exterior/insulated walls? Its been in my plan on the existing home to try and fish surround speaker wires on one exterior wall. Since I'm selling, I may not do this anymore.