Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-09-29, 08:59 AM
Regular User

I'm surprised that no one is talking about the apple airport...

sure it really only works with itunes, but itunes does have so much to offer.

I have my puter in my office, and can broadcast to anyroom where I put an airport express with a set of powered speakers. and to control it all... ipod touch with the remote app.

airport express is $109, extreme is $199 which even allows wireless sharing of an external drive.

get one extreme and a few express units and you will have whole home sound at a fraction of the cost...

Old 2009-09-29, 11:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz4sno View Post
I'm surprised that no one is talking about the apple airport...
Apple has some really cool stuff. (And I switched to OS X years ago, so I have that much more reason to be pro-Apple). I've been tempted to get an Apple TV for a long time.

My beef with the Airport Express system is that it ties you to a computer running iTunes, which wouldn't suit how I want to use the system in my house. I like the way Sonos systems have a remote that's always ready to go. Yes, you can get iPhone/iPod touch apps to do the same (for Sonos too) but, I don't have an iPod touch anymore so it's still one more thing I'd have to buy. Squeezebox stuff also would have either a remote interface or, like the Boom, an on-device display.

I suspect I'd end up running multiple systems. I have a NAS with my MP3's on it, which I can access from any PC. My future Squeezebox/Sonos system will be able to stream that anywhere in the house. I may also end up with Apple TV's for playing movies, YouTube, podcasts, etc.

Now, if Apple could build in a mesh network to the Apple TV, and produce a stand-alone remote control...
Old 2009-09-29, 02:21 PM
Regular User

I wanted to find out if I can install the Sonos system myself? It seems simple enough from what I see. From what I understand, there is no programming required. Can someone confirm this?

The speaker wires are all home run to the basement and because of this, all I have to do is connect the wires to the back of the Sonos (120) to power the in-ceiling speakers. I'm trying to see if I can save money on labour.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 2009-09-29, 09:02 PM
Regular User

Yup, it's 'pretty much' plug and play! Very easy to install yourself.
Old 2009-10-09, 04:20 PM
Regular User

OK, I took the plunge! Sort of.

After many, many hours of reading (including some 30+ page long flame wars on certain "other" forums about Sonos vs Squeezebox), I've come to the conclusion that the Sonos would be the better system for me.

- The minimum per-room cost for Sonos is $400 for a ZP90. To do the same with Squeezebox would be about $379 for a Boom, about $350 for an SB3, $450 for a Duet, or $250 for "extra" Duet receivers. In both cases - except the Boom - you still need to add external amps/speakers.

- Granted the $450 cost for the Duet includes an LCD remote. It looks decent, but gets mixed reviews about build quality and usability. The Sonos remote would be another $400, but for my needs I can live without it by using the free controller software for Mac, PC, or iPod touch.

- My music is stored on a NAS which consumes very little power when idle. The Sonos is able to stream music directly from the NAS. The Squeeze system requires their SqueezeCenter software to be running full-time in order to do this. This either means hacking my NAS to run SqueezeCenter server on it, or buying a separate PC to run 24/7 as the server. I won't do the former because reports are that it runs too slowly on my NAS (the DNS-323) and consumes so much memory that the hard drives will never go to sleep. I care about power consumption so to run a PC server I'd need to buy a low-power laptop or netbook. So for my needs, that adds $200-300 to the cost of running the Squeeze products.

- In every other aspect the Sonos/Squeeze argument seems to turn into a Mac vs PC argument. The Sonos system "just works" but you pay for that. The Squeezebox system "works great too, but sometimes you do have to fiddle with it" -- but it's cheaper.

One key difference is that Sonos boxes have line-ins, so you can attach any audio source you want, and start streaming it to all your Sonos boxes.

So, given that the price difference isn't huge (for my current needs), and it seems to be a matter of no-hassle, instant usability, I decided to give Sonos a try.

I picked up one ZP90. $400. Set it up within minutes. Plugged it into my router, it set itself up. Installed the PC software, it found the box, I told it where to find the music on my NAS, it found it, within minutes I was playing my music and experimenting with hundreds of internet radio stations.

I'm very happy so far. Over time I'm sure I will pick up more boxes.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2009-10-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 2009-10-15, 10:21 PM
Regular User

We were also researching the Sonos system and stopped by an audio store to ask some questions. The sales assistant raved about it but seemed to indicate that the Sonos system was only as good as your high speed internet connection since it is connected through your router. This worried me a bit as I've been with several ISPs over the past few years and my connection always seems to be spotty at best. That is making me hesitant about going the wireless route. Is this true? Is the successful operation of the Sonos system dependant on a stable internet connection?

Old 2009-10-16, 07:55 AM
Regular User

The Sonos system relies on your internet connection for net radio streaming, anything hosted on your side of the router (i.e. your mp3's) will be fine. There shouldn't be any issue with listening to your stuff on your home network (wireless or wired).

We're planning on going with a Sonos package for our in ceiling speaker setup too, probably going with a 120 and a 90, not sure if we'll use the Sonos controller or our iPod for the remote.
Old 2009-10-16, 09:05 AM
Regular User

We finally got the Sonos system after months of research. The ZP120 hooked up to ceiling speakers & ZP90 hooked up to the AVR. We are happy with the setup. The controller is always on as compared to the itouch where you need to log in to the network using the free app for Sonos. Access to internet radio is great.

Old 2009-10-16, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara23 View Post
We were also researching the Sonos system and stopped by an audio store to ask some questions. The sales assistant raved about it but seemed to indicate that the Sonos system was only as good as your high speed internet connection since it is connected through your router. This worried me a bit as I've been with several ISPs over the past few years and my connection always seems to be spotty at best. That is making me hesitant about going the wireless route. Is this true? Is the successful operation of the Sonos system dependant on a stable internet connection?
The internet connection is only for streaming radio (or streaming music subscriptions like Napster). Also occasionally for software updates. Streaming radio is typically pretty low bandwidth, so you should be fine unless your connection is really acting up. In the USA this might be a bigger deal because they have so many streaming music options like last.fm and Rhapsody. But for your mp3s off your own server or NAS, no internet connection is required.

The dealer probably mentioned to you that your first Sonos box MUST be wired into your router via an Ethernet cable. That might take a bit of doing (or buying the $120 ZoneBridge to act as this box). After that, the rest of them can all be wireless.

There are two dealers in Ottawa -- the one didn't have ZP90's in stock when I went to try buying one, so I went to the other one.

By the way, for anyone thinking of Sonos, there are two features that are underrated yet I think bring HUGE value to the system: the ability for each box to take line inputs and stream them out, and the ability for each box to act as an Ethernet jack for other devices to plug into your network. These two features are very useful and easily help me justify the relatively high price of the boxes.

Oh yes, and be aware there is a brand new "ZonePlayer S5" coming out this month. It looks a lot like a Bose Sounddock.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2009-10-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2009-10-16, 06:13 PM
Regular User

Can you tell us how much you paid for your Sonos items? PM if necessary.