Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-10-30, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Default Foundation Walls - Dimple Membrane?

The foundation walls for our house were poured last week, and this week they put up the black waterproof dimple membrane on the exterior, but not all the way around the entire foundation. For the portion of the foundation wall that sits under the garage door, they've used a very light weight clear plastic sheet.

Because this is the garage wall, it will be backfilled on the inside, and the garage floor will be poured on top of it. So I understand that it's not that bad if water passes through this wall, because the only thing behind it is backfill.

But I'm wondering if the seam where the two different membranes meet will be a place where water can work itself behind the black dimple membrane, and then through our basement walls?

I hope that makes sense - is my concern justified?
Old 2009-10-30, 01:03 PM
Regular User

they only put the dimpled membrane on the wall where the other side is your basement. around your garage, they don't need to put anything, because if water soaks through it won't get into the house. they should have put the membrane on the wall from the garage to the house, and also run the weeping tile the same way.

it looks a little funny this way, but it's not a problem.

don't worry about water getting behind the dimpled membrane where the 2 meet - that wouldn't cause a problem. the dimpled membrane is there to allow an air gap for water to run down to the weeping tile. without it, you can get hydraulic pressure forcing water into the basement.
Old 2009-10-30, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Drove by the site again today, and they've put dimpled membrane on the walls inside the garage (the foundation walls of the garage that have basement on the other side of them). Glad to hear it's not an issue about water getting behind the membrane, and thanks for the explanation of the membrane's function.

I'll post pictures if I get a chance to take some this weekend.