Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-01-09, 07:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileguy View Post
great job on your basement. the thread was a great read.
one question about the roxul soundproof in the ceiling. How do you find it with your home theatre? does it block out quite a bit if you are directly above it?
thanks. very inspiring.
In my last home I setup all of my home audio equipment in the basement just after framing the room. I used it that way for about a year until I was able to finally finish the basement in full.

I used Roxul when I finished things and I can say it made a HUGE difference. I also insulated all four walls around the theatre though so maybe that helped as well.

Without the Roxul, I could hear conversations above me and people's feet on the floor. With it, I couldn't hear a thing, and I could turn things up a bit louder!
Old 2013-01-09, 08:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
great job on your basement. the thread was a great read.
one question about the roxul soundproof in the ceiling. How do you find it with your home theatre? does it block out quite a bit if you are directly above it?
thanks. very inspiring.
We also used roxul safe and sound through the entire basement ceiling along with ceiling tiles. It does a great job of drowning out footsteps above, hvac pinging, and noise from drains. From a Home Theatre standpoint it does drown out virtually everything except bass. So I can have the system on fairly loud and you can hear the rumbles but virtually nothing else.

It is worth every penny and super easy to install.
Old 2013-01-09, 09:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
We also used roxul safe and sound through the entire basement ceiling along with ceiling tiles. It does a great job of drowning out footsteps above, hvac pinging, and noise from drains. From a Home Theatre standpoint it does drown out virtually everything except bass. So I can have the system on fairly loud and you can hear the rumbles but virtually nothing else.

It is worth every penny and super easy to install.
This reminds me of a question I had.

I'd like to install it in my current home but we now have engineered floor joists which are 19" on center. Don't the insulation bats come in 16" and 24" ? Kind of a pain no?
Old 2013-01-09, 09:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
This reminds me of a question I had.

I'd like to install it in my current home but we now have engineered floor joists which are 19" on center. Don't the insulation bats come in 16" and 24" ? Kind of a pain no?
Hmm, I would call roxul directly they may have a special cut for you.
Old 2013-01-09, 11:37 AM
Regular User

good question. our joist look around 10"
do they make a giant pizza cutter for it?
Old 2013-01-09, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
good question. our joist look around 10"
do they make a giant pizza cutter for it?
Actually kinda like a pizza cutter, bread knife, cuts like hot knife through butter...

you get the idea from pics below, all ceilings, all bulk heads filled, not jammed just loosely filled with roxul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1917.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	10370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1915.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	10371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	10372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1694.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	10373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	10374  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	10375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1679.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	10376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	10377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	10378  
Old 2013-01-11, 09:32 AM
Regular User

bravo! looks great.

can you give me an idea of what kind of noise is being made downstairs and how its translating upstairs?

thanks. im trying to make some important decisions for the best soundproofing without throwing money in the trash.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:55 AM
Regular User

anyone heard of or use these?
http://www.acoustiguard.com/Genie-Clip/
Old 2013-01-11, 10:06 AM
Regular User

looks like a lot of work for little gain.
Old 2013-01-11, 10:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
bravo! looks great.

can you give me an idea of what kind of noise is being made downstairs and how its translating upstairs?

thanks. im trying to make some important decisions for the best soundproofing without throwing money in the trash.
The basement is used as one large great room, where kids play, adults shoot the breeze and when guests stay over we have built an in wall murphy bed.

When in the basement and sleeping it is very quiet even from outside noise, so much so that we cannot hear the door bell, great place if you have a headache or an infant that needs to sleep in peace. During the holidays we had kids playing, watching movies in the basement with adults on the main floor, we could not hear them in the basement and quite often had to go down into the basement to check on them.

We have a dishwasher which is almost in the middle of the basement ceiling and we cannot hear it running. The sound insulation also does a great job of muffling pings and pops from HVAC and waste water pipes.

I know that when I'm in the basement sound can travel up through the vents and my wife has said she can hear the theatre in the basement, if I'm watching it loud I close the vent.

Roxul safe and sound is not expensive by any means and I think is a great product quality/use to cost ratio. You get bang for your buck.