Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-11-30, 02:15 PM
Regular User

Default media room in basement

I'm in the process of finish the basment and 1 area of the basement will be dedicated to the media room. I'm trying to determinate what wiring do I need and whether I should mount the 60 " plasma right on the drywall or build a box on the wall that would incude some shelves for the receiver. dvd etc in order to get rid of all the wiring. I'll have outlets for the following cables: 2 for satelite, 5 for speakers, electrical outlet on the wall to plug in tv, receiver etc. Am I missing anything else. What else should I be thinking to include?

tia
Old 2009-11-30, 02:17 PM
Regular User

HDMI, Component? Future conduit for any new tech that comes out? Provisions to add speakers down the road? Don't look at todays tech, try to future proof your room as much as you can. It's easy to run wire now, not so much when everything is closed back up.
Old 2009-11-30, 02:26 PM
Regular User

how many HDMI I'd need. If I understand correctly, I have 1 hdmi going from the expressvu receiver to tv and other from dvd to tv. if I put an extra hdmi outlet on the wall where should I ran cables to, towards the tv or media centre where the receiver and other equipment will be located
Old 2009-11-30, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mato0107 View Post
how many HDMI I'd need. If I understand correctly, I have 1 hdmi going from the expressvu receiver to tv and other from dvd to tv. if I put an extra hdmi outlet on the wall where should I ran cables to, towards the tv or media centre where the receiver and other equipment will be located
It depends on your receiver. If your receiver has HDMI in and out then you can probably have all your sources (expressvu, DVD, blu-ray, etc...) feed in to your receiver and only need one HDMI from the receiver to the TV. You would then use your receiver to switch between the different sources.
Old 2009-11-30, 04:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
It depends on your receiver. If your receiver has HDMI in and out then you can probably have all your sources (expressvu, DVD, blu-ray, etc...) feed in to your receiver and only need one HDMI from the receiver to the TV. You would then use your receiver to switch between the different sources.
That would be an ideal situation. Having said that, if you don't have a reciever that does HDMI switching, I would strongly suggest that you put a conduit so that you can run any cables that you may need. It's the most future proof solution.
Old 2009-11-30, 04:47 PM
Regular User

whatever you need go to monoprice.com and save a ton. I did a media room in my basement and their speakers are awesome!
Old 2009-11-30, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
I did a media room in my basement and their speakers are awesome!
I wouldn't call them awesome, but they are cheap I certainly wouldn't use them for a dedicated theatre setup.

Monoprice is good for some stuff, but keep in mind they would be like purchasing your AV equipment from Walmart.

There is waaaay better stuff in the custom installer world.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-12-01, 08:14 AM
Regular User

Even do-it-yourselfers have much better options than monoprice. As Greg mentioned, monoprice does have ok stuff for the price. But, their speakers don't compair in terms of quality to many of the better brands of speakers out there (but you will pay more, probably much more, for good quality speakers).

That said, if the monoprice speakers sound good to you, then stick with them and save yourself a lot of money.
Old 2009-12-01, 09:21 AM
Regular User

what about network ports? one for the TV and one somewhere else if you want to plug a laptop or a desktop PC.
Old 2009-12-01, 11:03 AM
Regular User

I guess monoprice is good for buying different type of cables only. For the real audio stuff, go to audiogon to pickup some used unit maybe a better choice.