Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-01-07, 11:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
any tv recommendation for a room with plenty of windows directly across from the tv? i need something with a non-reflective screen that can still deliver a viewable picture with some direct sunlight. my old DLP isn't cutting it anymore...

I think conventionally, people would recommend LED/LCD for rooms with a lot of light coming in.

I can't stand the viewing angles on LCDs though.

Old 2010-01-07, 12:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst View Post
I think conventionally, people would recommend LED/LCD for rooms with a lot of light coming in.

I can't stand the viewing angles on LCDs though.
most LCDs are 170+/170+ nowadays

the TV I have is 178 both directions and it really is visible from a very wide angle

Old 2010-01-07, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNgMaN View Post
most LCDs are 170+/170+ nowadays

the TV I have is 178 both directions and it really is visible from a very wide angle
While the viewing angle may be quite wide the picture quality of most LCD TVs can drop off quite a bit when you move off center.
Old 2010-01-07, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
While the viewing angle may be quite wide the picture quality of most LCD TVs can drop off quite a bit when you move off center.
That's the nature of LCD.. Thousands of little windows opening and closing to varying degrees very quickly in order to make up your picture. If you happen to be at the wrong angle, then that window won't look right to you.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-01-08, 08:50 AM
Regular User

I'm glad I didn't pull a trigger on a plasma during boxing day sales.. the new Pannys are reporting Kuro level blacks! (well from people eyes on the convention floor, who knows when it's carefully analyzed)

Old 2010-01-18, 10:07 AM
Regular User

My 42" plasma was 400 Watts. Easily consume $50 worth off electricity per month. If you are energy conscious, dont buy plasma. My new 40" Samsung LCD is pretty good in colors so far.
Old 2010-01-18, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
My 42" plasma was 400 Watts. Easily consume $50 worth off electricity per month. If you are energy conscious, dont buy plasma. My new 40" Samsung LCD is pretty good in colors so far.
Just to correct this statement:

400W would be the maximum that it would consume. Plasma works differently than LCD, meaning plasma only lights up the areas that need to be bright and doesn't light up that areas that need to be dark.

LCD has everything on all the time and just blocks the light shining through with thousands of liquid crystal shutters. It's power consumption is consistent. Plasma will vary.

In fact, you may find that plasmas actual power consumption is less than that of LCD overall.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-17, 03:26 PM
Regular User

So i have a 50G20 plasma pre-ordered right now, found a great price on it through commercial pricing at the brick.

But hearing all the controversy on Panasonic's rising black levels, i'm tempted to look elsewhere. LG has some slick looking sets coming out. And Samsung, if they've fixed their buzzing problems, could be a contender.

Has anyone seen any of the 2010 plasmas out in stores yet? I know some are carrying the Panny S2 series now, but none of the higher models.