Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2010-01-28, 09:57 PM
hola2005 hola2005 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 111
Default HD Antenna, or Satellite ... ? or go slave to the cable

Hello All,

I am moving in to my new house soon, in Kanata, and need to find how many homeowners have been successful in using HD antennas and/or satellite setup to avoid paying Rogers or Bell for their TV service.

If you have any experience with either of these setup, please pass on as much information as you can to help me make a decision in the upcoming week.

There are number of people, in the Toronto area, are able to receive HD channels using HD antennas.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2010-01-29, 12:18 AM
alymg alymg is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 175
Default

Don't give in to cable! I have this HD antenna:
http://www.ottawaliving.ca/property....operty_id=7425

I get 13 analog and 6 digital (HD channels) and apparently there are more coming as the other local networks switch over by next summer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2010-01-29, 08:09 AM
Trepex Trepex is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chaperal, Orléans
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hola2005 View Post
Hello All,

I am moving in to my new house soon, in Kanata, and need to find how many homeowners have been successful in using HD antennas and/or satellite setup to avoid paying Rogers or Bell for their TV service.

If you have any experience with either of these setup, please pass on as much information as you can to help me make a decision in the upcoming week.

There are number of people, in the Toronto area, are able to receive HD channels using HD antennas.

Thanks.
Nuts to cable. Rogers' new update they pushed out has made the their stupid box even less usable than before. I can't stand having to press "guide" twice just to get past their stupid launch screen and, you know, into the GUIDE.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2010-01-29, 09:37 AM
dbleber dbleber is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 351
Default

19 Channels!! That is maybe 30 seconds of flicking! Right now there isn't much out there. FTA is ok but you have to reconfigure it all the time. I watch tv when I don't have other work to do, I don't want tv to add to my to-do list!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2010-01-29, 10:24 AM
mart242 mart242 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alymg View Post
Don't give in to cable! I have this HD antenna:
http://www.ottawaliving.ca/property....operty_id=7425

I get 13 analog and 6 digital (HD channels) and apparently there are more coming as the other local networks switch over by next summer.
Can you check the antenna link? It's a link to a house on a busy street..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2010-01-29, 12:53 PM
Baycliffe "B" Elevation Baycliffe "B" Elevation is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
I can't stand having to press "guide" twice just to get past their stupid launch screen and, you know, into the GUIDE.
OMG I know, that just starting happening last night.....super annoying!
__________________
Mattamy Homes - Half Moon Bay
Baycliffe - "B""
April 29, 2009 - Moved In & Enjoying The Silence Of Our SINGLE HOME !!!



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2010-01-29, 01:03 PM
Shan1214 Shan1214 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Half Moon Bay
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Nuts to cable. Rogers' new update they pushed out has made the their stupid box even less usable than before. I can't stand having to press "guide" twice just to get past their stupid launch screen and, you know, into the GUIDE.
I agree - what was wrong with the way it was??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2010-01-29, 01:07 PM
Fingers Fingers is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Nuts to cable. Rogers' new update they pushed out has made the their stupid box even less usable than before. I can't stand having to press "guide" twice just to get past their stupid launch screen and, you know, into the GUIDE.
Yeah, what IS THAT NONSENSE?? as though the original guide wasn't annoyingly snow enough.

Cable is becoming more and more useless. I download a fair bit of movies and shows... I'm definitely considering an attic HD antenna.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2010-01-29, 01:19 PM
Mike83 Mike83 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537
Default

Rogers Cable is OK, but they need a new box for sure! Using Bell's unit is much easier and offers more features.

I'd be interested to know what channels you're consistently picking up with the antenna.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2010-01-29, 01:57 PM
crazylittlemonkeys crazylittlemonkeys is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 165
Default

Okay WE HATE the new Rogers "quick guide" guide. It's not more convenient and we want it removed...I'm sure they can come up with a code you punch into your remote to get it turned off. BUT YOU ALL NEED TO COMPLAIN!!! We called and spoke to someone who said no, so we spoke to their supervisor and he said no... so today we are speaking to "the office of the president".

Maybe if enough people complain we can get this "new and improved service" removed!!!

Please help us and COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN!!

They tried telling my husband it was MORE convenient!! LOL What a joke!
__________________
Crystal & Dave
Brentland Lot 42-4
Closing Oct. 15th

NEW Closing Dec. 11th

NEW NEW CLOSING DEC. 23rd.

Moved in Dec. 24th. 2008
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD channels over the air from antenna England Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 24 2008-12-29 06:20 PM
CATV antenna in attic Roop Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 1 2008-12-22 11:00 PM
satellite dish forsale Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill 5 2007-03-25 10:19 PM
Satellite TV Rowdyruffboy Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill 29 2006-06-20 09:35 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.