Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-03-19, 02:51 PM
Regular User

Default How to get RG6 cables into the attic

Hi.

When my house is completed, I will have two 2" conduits from my basement to my attic and I want to use one of these conduits to bring in the Bell TV feed into the SW44 to be located in a central cabling closet in my basement. From the SW44 switch, I can feed the receivers and PVRs (I asked the builder to pre-wire those already).

My issue is that I do not know the best way to bring the 4 RG6 cables from the Bell Satellite into the attic. Once in the attic, I'll pull the cable down the conduit. I heard that Bell installers, the ones who perform the free installation when you buy Bell TV, will not go into the attic. What are my options?

Thanks,
RDG
Old 2010-03-19, 03:10 PM
Regular User

One option is to have them feed the lines into the master bedroom, near the closet with the hatch leading up to the attic. Then you can feed the lines into the attic yourself by extending the line they install.
Old 2010-03-19, 04:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_D_G View Post
Hi.

When my house is completed, I will have two 2" conduits from my basement to my attic and I want to use one of these conduits to bring in the Bell TV feed into the SW44 to be located in a central cabling closet in my basement. From the SW44 switch, I can feed the receivers and PVRs (I asked the builder to pre-wire those already).

My issue is that I do not know the best way to bring the 4 RG6 cables from the Bell Satellite into the attic. Once in the attic, I'll pull the cable down the conduit. I heard that Bell installers, the ones who perform the free installation when you buy Bell TV, will not go into the attic. What are my options?

Thanks,
RDG
I'm confused. I assume your builder will be dropping lines from each TV outlet around the house into the basement? When you say you paid the builder to pre-wire, is that what you mean? If so, then why do you need to bring your SAT feed into your attic when your SW44 is in the basement? Makes no sense to me. Bring your SAT feed into the basement to start with.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.
Old 2010-03-19, 04:25 PM
Regular User

I'm with Mark & Lynda, I would run from the dish down the outside wall and into the basement. I would think that drilling through into the basement and then resealing around the cables would be easier than trying to run up and into the attic. That is what my plan anyways but hey if someone has a better or easier idea I'm all for it.

BTW to follow up my earlier post today about prices I saw a 500 ft spool of
RG6 Quad shielded cable to Princess Auto today (Phillips I think) for $49.99 oh and that was The Newmarket store.
Old 2010-03-19, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Running cables into the attic for satellite installs is common thing we do in custom homes.

When ready to install a dish, we just drop the cabling through a soffit where the dish will be and then the satellite installer puts in the dish and connects everything up.

Reason we do this is because typically the houses are stucco, stone, or wooden siding. None of these surfaces look too good with cabling run down them, and it's very difficult to attach reliably to stucco.

All cables would terminate at a wiring closet, usually in the basement.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-19, 08:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I'm confused. I assume your builder will be dropping lines from each TV outlet around the house into the basement? When you say you paid the builder to pre-wire, is that what you mean? If so, then why do you need to bring your SAT feed into your attic when your SW44 is in the basement? Makes no sense to me. Bring your SAT feed into the basement to start with.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

Greg has the idea. I don't want cables from the dish running down the side of my house to get to the basement, I rather they go to the attic and then in the conduit to the basement. This is one of the reasons that I paid for the conduits.

What I was missing was the fact that it is possible to drop the cables through a soffit. Is there anything I have to do with the soffit? Do I have to drill the soffit big enough to fit four RG6 cables, then seal it afterwards to keep the elements and small animals out? Or is there a special soffit I can buy that is specially made for this job?

Also, how do I get the cables inside the attic once they are through the soffits? Aren't the bricks on the way? Or are there gaps in there (perhaps where the roof trusses meet the exterior wall?) I can use?

Here are pictures of the South West corner of my house from the inside and the outside. Can you see any places where I'll be able to sneak in the cables?

Thanks for the feedback folks.

RDG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0386.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	5847   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0245.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	5848  

Last edited by R_D_G; 2010-03-19 at 09:11 PM.
Old 2010-03-19, 11:21 PM
Regular User

From what I understood when I talked to Bell was that their free install, they won't go into the attic to run the lines. But for the soffit you just need to make a small notch in the soffit. Very simple.
Old 2010-03-19, 11:37 PM
Regular User

Thanks APZ. Once I get the cables in the soffit, how do I get them inside the attic? I can't tell from the ground if there are any gaps I can push the cables through.

Is there anyone here with construction knowledge who can tell me if there are usually gaps where the roof trusses meet the walls? I can use those to bring the cables into the attic.

Thanks,
RDG
Old 2010-03-20, 11:46 AM
Administrator

The soffits will be covered with aluminum baffles, just drill a hole through the baffle and it will allow access into the attic by the roof overhang.

Bell Satellite installers will not go into an attic, they are not trained/insured to do such. But they will connect up to existing lines.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-03-20, 01:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
The soffits will be covered with aluminum baffles, just drill a hole through the baffle and it will allow access into the attic by the roof overhang.

Bell Satellite installers will not go into an attic, they are not trained/insured to do such. But they will connect up to existing lines.
Thanks Greg. By the way, I sent you a PM regarding this.

RDG