Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2010-03-31, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Default Foundation membrane waterproofing and fixes not warrantied?

Is there anyone out there that has had leaks in their basement and have though that the method to fix the leak solved the symptom but not the problem?

We were told that anything outside the foundation (weeping tile, membranes, etc) are not a code requirement for building a house, and that they are not a warrantied item through our builder. Does that sound right?

If anyone has had issues with with their membrane, weeping tile or foundation cracks, can you please post and/or PM me?

P.S. What is "the building envelope"? ie " Defects in material and workmanship such that the building envelope does not prevent against water penetration".

Thank you!!
Old 2010-03-31, 02:54 PM
Regular User

My understanding is that if you have a crack in your foundation > 6mm with our without water penetration the builder will first try to seal with apoxy from the inside. If that doesn't work they will then dig from the outside to repair whatever structures weeping tile, membrane etc as necessary. This is covered by Tarion for 2 years. Expect the builder to do the easiest fix first than progress the intervention repair as needed.
Old 2010-03-31, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Found out the answer myself. According to Tarion the membrane IS a warrantied item.

If anyone else has been told otherwise, please PM me. Want to see how many people are affected.
Old 2010-03-31, 03:22 PM
Regular User

Did anybody else have the dimpled membrane covering their foundation repaired/fixed as part of their PDI, 30 day, 1-year etc...?

Almost the entire perimeter of ours had pulled away from the foundation (where it had been anchored with fasteners) and sunk a good 10 or 12 inches. We were told by a general contracting friend that this is not uncommon with new homes as the soil/fill settles (as air pockets/voids are filled) and 'pulls' the membrane down.

My understanding is that this membrane needs to be fastened properly, and sealed along top, in order for the entire 'system' to work properly - i.e. if soil and clay get behind this membrane then the entire gravity-based process of pulling water/moisture down to the weeping system at footings, and away from foundation is disrupted.

We noted this on our 30 day list, but it was never fixed, and we are now told that we need proof (i.e. pictures and such) in order to force this issue to be addressed.

I don't like the idea of digging up the entire perimeter of our foundation...but it seems like this elborate system is not doing us any good if it isn't working properly.

So has anyone else noted the same issues? Has anyone had it fixed? Does anyone think such an exterior fix is even necessary? Would love thoughts on the subject.l
Old 2011-08-04, 06:54 AM
Regular User

Anything your builder installs as part of your home is warranted regardless of whether it's required by the Code or not. The Code is the minimum construction requirements, like dampproofing the foundation. If your builder goes beyond the Code and installs a foundation membrane then they still have to warranty that product and installation.
Old 2011-08-10, 09:22 AM
Regular User

the dimpled membrane surounding my home was torn up at the top of it at this one spot at the side of my house. the service manager for my builder told me they are not required to fix this because using this membrane is not code. like a sucker, i believed him. I will put this on my 2 year list.