Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2017-01-13, 10:21 AM

Default Central Vacuum w/ Rough In

I recently bought a house that was built in the 90s. There is 1 central vac rough in on the main and the 2nd floor... but, I can't find any outlets in the garage or basement at all!

How can I confirm the house does indeed has central vac rough-ins and where could the end of the outlet be so I can install a central vac?
Old 2017-01-13, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Hopefully Greg will respond as I know he has a lot of experience in this area.

I believe it's fairly common for both rough-ins to drop to the basement and be hidden behind ductwork.

you could try dropping small pebbles or pennies down the inlet, or try using a fish tape to see where they end up.
Old 2017-01-13, 02:05 PM
Regular User

I had to find where one terminated before because it was hidden above some ductwork. I tried hooking a shopvac up to one of the rough-ins so it would blow into the rough-in and then listened for the rushing air in the basement (I knew it was supposed to terminate someone in the basement).
Old 2017-01-14, 09:27 AM
Administrator

A standard central vacuum rough in involves piping to the nearest unfinished space.
Inlets (not outlets) on the second floor would be piped to either the unfinished basement ceiling or to the garage.
Inlets on the main floor are piped to the unfinished basement ceiling or to the garage if they border the wall.

To finish a vacuum system for use all the pipes that end up the basement need to be connected together and run out to the garage.

You mention the house was built in the 90s but did not say if the basement is finished.

We have seen several morons finish a basement without considering the vacuum roughins around the house and running them out to the garage. This makes the inlets around the house useless unless you want to cut open the ceiling.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/