Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-11, 07:07 PM
Regular User

Default Free TV for life

Just finished doing this install today. It was hard finding an installer in Ottawa, unlike the Toronto area we just moved from, but we got er done. Here is the result:

I am using a channel master cm4228 and a CM 3020 deep fringe, on a 37ft tower with a 10ft pipe, and a pre-amp cm7777.

My results: 41 channels in all, here are some of them

Digital channels:
CBOT (CBC) 4.1 ...........100%
CBOFT-D (SRC) 9.1 .........100%
CITYHD 17.1 ................100%
CKXTDT3 ( Sun tv ) 20.1 ......100%
OMNI1 HD 27.1 .......100%
WCFE HD (PBS) 57.1 ........100%
WCFED1 (PBS) 57.2 .........95%
WCFED2 (PBS) 57.3 ......95%
OMNI2 HD 66.1 .......95%

Analogue channels:

CBC 4.0
GLOBAL 6.0
CTV 8.0
CBC FRENCH 9.0
PBS 11.0
CTV 13.0
OMNI 14.0
TVO 24.0
CIVO TV 30.0
CTS 32.0
CFGS TV (V) 34.0
TVA 40.0
A CHANNEL 43.0
OMNI 60.0
CITY TV (IND) 65.0

Last edited by England; 2010-08-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2010-08-11, 08:42 PM
Regular User

Interesting. I do have to say though that I am not sure I would be too keen if my neighbour decided to install a 37 foot tower. To me it is sort of an eyesore.
Old 2010-08-11, 10:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Interesting. I do have to say though that I am not sure I would be too keen if my neighbour decided to install a 37 foot tower. To me it is sort of an eyesore.

It's according to by-law, so there isn't much you can do about it. I don't see how different it is from you deciding to have a bell dish on your roof, or crap in your garage or pool in your backyard
Old 2010-08-11, 10:54 PM
Regular User

I kinda have to agree with Gerapau on this one! What the? Are you trying to communicate with UFOs? LOL
Old 2010-08-11, 11:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by England View Post
It's according to by-law, so there isn't much you can do about it. I don't see how different it is from you deciding to have a bell dish on your roof, or crap in your garage or pool in your backyard
Sorry pal, but what you've put up is NOTHING like a dish (though I can't stand those either and it looks like you have a dish as well!), and has nothing to do with the crap in someones garage or any similarities to a pool.

Code or no code, that monstrosity is an eyesore and you are an extremely inconsiderate neighbour.

Enjoy your free TV at the expense of your neighbourhood.
Old 2010-08-12, 03:42 AM
Regular User

hey England nice work man...i was wondering when Canada switches to digital would you be able to get free channels?
Old 2010-08-12, 07:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanky.brar View Post
hey England nice work man...i was wondering when Canada switches to digital would you be able to get free channels?

I am pulling in digital channels as well.

Toukolou....I ain't your pal, and you know what I can't stand either? Nitwits

The antenna doesn't bark in the day/night, poo nor trespass on someone else's lawn like inconsiderate neighbours that get a dog or cat.
Old 2010-08-12, 08:23 AM
Regular User

I am greatful for the neighbours I have so far...
Old 2010-08-12, 08:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by England View Post
I realize it doesn't break any by-law. Heck, the back yard in my new home is over 70 feet wide which means that I could, according to the by-laws, install a 70 foot high tower. I don't think I will be doing that any time soon though. I bet you that at least 85% of your neighbours will agree that it is an eyesore. It sounds to me though that that really doesn't bother you.

Also, comparing this to a bell dish is a stretch. Those can usually be well hidden. Take one of the old 8 foot dishes that people use to get and place it on the peak of your roof and then you start to approach what you have put up there. At 37 feet I am sure it can be seen from quite a ways away. And whether you believe it or not, things like this can affect property values in your neighbourhood.

Lastly, I wonder how many of those channels you could have gotten with a much smaller antenna? I have a co-worker who set something up in their attic (completely hidden) and from what they have told me they receive almost all the channels that you say you are getting. Did you try seeing what you could get with something less visible before putting up that tower?
Old 2010-08-12, 08:53 AM
Regular User

Bwahahahaha! I cannot even imagine what the neighbours (and my wife, for that matter) would do if I pulled a stunt like that. The thing is four stories high! You've really got to love TV (and want it for free) to put up a tower like that. Is the cost not somewhere near 5 years worth of cable TV anyway?
Closed Thread