Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-08-15, 05:35 PM
Regular User

Default Anyone with Valecraft in Bradley Ridge?

We're still in the process of looking at different builders/models (of townhomes) and are looking forward to viewing the model homes by Valecraft in Bradley Ridge. According to the salesperson, model townhomes will be ready to view on September 25th. I know there will be 4 models to view. Much of phase 1 is sold out so we're looking at phase 2 (or 3?). Just wondering if anyone can share their experience with Valecraft, what model town you chose, etc. and why you decided to go with this builder/area?

I posted a few weeks ago indicating our areas of choice (all in the East end) and appreciated all the insight provided - right now we're also strongly considering Tamarack in Chaperal and Richcraft in either Notting Hill South or the proposed Trails Edge community. We're just not ready to sign yet - waiting to go back to work after maternity leave, which means we may miss out on the Chaperal community.

As always, TIA
Old 2010-08-15, 06:18 PM
Regular User

You might also want to check out the new development called "Quarry Glen" from Minto.

The sales office should be opening soon. The development is inside a former quarry next to Minto's completed "Quarry Ridge" community. It will be a 2 minute drive from there to Place D'Orleans.

Some info:

http://www.emcorleans.ca/20100812/ne...aises+concerns
Old 2010-08-19, 08:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInEast View Post
We're still in the process of looking at different builders/models (of townhomes) and are looking forward to viewing the model homes by Valecraft in Bradley Ridge. According to the salesperson, model townhomes will be ready to view on September 25th. I know there will be 4 models to view. Much of phase 1 is sold out so we're looking at phase 2 (or 3?). Just wondering if anyone can share their experience with Valecraft, what model town you chose, etc. and why you decided to go with this builder/area?

I posted a few weeks ago indicating our areas of choice (all in the East end) and appreciated all the insight provided - right now we're also strongly considering Tamarack in Chaperal and Richcraft in either Notting Hill South or the proposed Trails Edge community. We're just not ready to sign yet - waiting to go back to work after maternity leave, which means we may miss out on the Chaperal community.

As always, TIA
I was at the Valecraft model home last week and it was gorgeous. It wasn't until after I walked around and started to ask a few questions that I was shocked.

Not sure about the towns but that single model started at something like 506K. For that you get vinyl flooring in the kitchen, nook, laundry room, main bath and powder room. Carpet on the rest of the main floor and upstairs.

The standards were not very impressive but they sure can do it up nicely. I asked the sales lady how much in upgrades that home had. That model home is showing with approximately 200K in upgrades. WOW!!! So the Valecraft model in Bradley Ridge is a 706K home. Now that's nuts!!

To do that house a little more reasonably I'm sure you would have to add at least 70K in upgrades in order to get it "nice". Not crazy but "nice". So you're looking at 575K minimum.

If the towns are remotely the same then I would suspect you would need to add quite a bit in upgrades. Make sure you weigh what you get standard compared to others.
Old 2010-08-27, 06:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans View Post
I was at the Valecraft model home last week and it was gorgeous. It wasn't until after I walked around and started to ask a few questions that I was shocked.

Not sure about the towns but that single model started at something like 506K. For that you get vinyl flooring in the kitchen, nook, laundry room, main bath and powder room. Carpet on the rest of the main floor and upstairs.

The standards were not very impressive but they sure can do it up nicely. I asked the sales lady how much in upgrades that home had. That model home is showing with approximately 200K in upgrades. WOW!!! So the Valecraft model in Bradley Ridge is a 706K home. Now that's nuts!!

To do that house a little more reasonably I'm sure you would have to add at least 70K in upgrades in order to get it "nice". Not crazy but "nice". So you're looking at 575K minimum.

If the towns are remotely the same then I would suspect you would need to add quite a bit in upgrades. Make sure you weigh what you get standard compared to others.
Yes, the salesperson mentioned this - the two townhome models in Soho West come with 80K and 100K in upgrades, respectively. Ouch!
Old 2010-08-27, 10:47 PM
Regular User

My sister has a Valecraft in Stittsville, and they didn't upgrade much (kitchen cabinetry only). She was quote $6k to do ceramic in her kitchen and a long hallway to her powder room. She quickly turned it down.
It's a nice house, but very basic. But then again, when she bough in 2006, it only cost her $294k for 2500 sq ft.
Old 2010-08-28, 10:20 PM
Regular User

I still find it crazy how they do the massive upgardes in the models for townhomes, they get people excited on a house with upgrades that no same person would ever do. A big percentage of the people who buy townhomes buy them as a starter home, and upgrades in the 20K range (or even less) should be what this market should think about spending. I'm in my townhome now, and I think the 20K I spent got me a nice range of upgrades that will do well on resale, but I think if I did some of the bigger things, I wouldn't really see the return on resale.

I'm all for going crazy on upgrades to get the exact house you want if you plan on being in a house for 20 years, but I think if you plan on spending something reasonable for a first house, you can get a really, really nice house. You may have to forego stuff like granite, but you could easily get hardwood on the main floor and a really nice kitchen.

I think the floorplan of a house is really the most important thing, and the floor plan doesn't cost anything extra. Set a budget and stay within it as much as you can and you'll be happy (buy remember, this is coming from a person who completely blew his budget on the house I'm currently buying )
Old 2010-08-28, 11:58 PM
Regular User

Kind of off topic.

I was told that Valecraft has a clause in their purchase agreements stating that buyers cannot have a front loading washer and dryer if their laundry room is not in the basement.

Anyone know if this is true?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-08-29, 01:04 AM
Regular User

BrianT - interesting. My Sis had front loading main floor laundry.
Old 2010-08-30, 11:02 AM
Regular User

Not in our purchase agreement.

We have a Valecraft in Stittsville (love it) and no mention of anything like this in our purchase agreement.
Old 2010-09-01, 10:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Kind of off topic.

I was told that Valecraft has a clause in their purchase agreements stating that buyers cannot have a front loading washer and dryer if their laundry room is not in the basement.

Anyone know if this is true?
I have a Valecraft bungalow with the laundry room on the main floor, no problems. This is where they designed it into the house, mine are front loading for both washer and dryer.