Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-09-21, 09:31 PM
Regular User

Default Speaker Wires... Recommendations?

I'm going to pre-wire my house with speaker wires... any recommendations on what I should get? I figure I'll need about 250ft of cable for the 2 rooms. I've looked at a few options:

1) Audioquest FLX-14/2 from Crutchfield.ca
2) Rocketfish wires (16 gauge) from futureshop
3) Cheap 14 gauge wires from rona

Any recommendations or others that I should consider??? I don't want to get something too expensive...
Old 2010-09-22, 06:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixw View Post
I'm going to pre-wire my house with speaker wires... any recommendations on what I should get? I figure I'll need about 250ft of cable for the 2 rooms. I've looked at a few options:

1) Audioquest FLX-14/2 from Crutchfield.ca
2) Rocketfish wires (16 gauge) from futureshop
3) Cheap 14 gauge wires from rona

Any recommendations or others that I should consider??? I don't want to get something too expensive...
Futureshop will likely disagree but I'm from the school of thought that the brand of wire means nothing.. in fact, many of the high-end brands of wire are just cheap wire with a fancy plastic coating. The actual wire inside is the same.

I personally would go for cheap Rona wire (or radio shack, or walmart) as long as you've got the proper gauge. Depending on the length of the wire run you will need different gauges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire
Old 2010-09-22, 09:19 AM
Regular User

daytripscanada is 100% correct it's not just old school thinking I worked for a major wire manufacturer for a summer on a packaging line, (my dad worked there for 25 years and my brother still works there) The copper in the wire and the process it follows is exactly the same no mater what name goes on it in the end when its printed. And it does not matter what the end use of the wire is it is all manufactured the same. the only difference is it is solid or stranded and if it stranded how many strands it has. It is all manufactured to the same UL standards. The cheapest way to go is go to an electrical supplier or home depot and just buy the correct gauge of lamp cord. For most purposes this should work it's what I use. The only difference between this and speaker wire is the outside insulation on lamp cord is a bit stiffer.
Greg or someone may correct me if I am wrong but you only need to be concerned if you are running high wattage speakers then you may want something with a larger space between the 2 wires.
Old 2010-09-22, 10:31 AM
Regular User

You can use no-name 14/2 wires. Builder normally use 16/2 wires. I got mine in bulk from monoprice.com. Can you use lamp cords if the wires are inside the walls? I thought you cannot because of the CL-2 or CL-3 rating.

Old 2010-09-22, 10:48 AM
Regular User

I bought some belkin from somewhere for pretty cheap. I think less than $20 for 100ft

found the link but it looks out of stock.

http://www.bewawa.com/belkin-100-ft-...aker-wire.html

Last edited by SoNgMaN; 2010-09-22 at 11:02 AM.
Old 2010-09-22, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerMil View Post
You can use no-name 14/2 wires. Builder normally use 16/2 wires. I got mine in bulk from monoprice.com. Can you use lamp cords if the wires are inside the walls? I thought you cannot because of the CL-2 or CL-3 rating.
You could be right. I am not sure and honestly never thought about it or looked at it. I just use what I have since I have spools of wire in different shapes, types and sizes and never paid for any of it. Most of what I do with wire is over kill as I have got it for free so I took the best.
Old 2010-09-22, 05:58 PM
Regular User

I always use a gauge lower than what is recommended (so thicker wire). Other than that, pretty much any ol' wire will do... If I had a set of Revel F32s or something then maybe I'd look for something a bit better, but for my Infinity Primus setup, I bought the wire at Wal-Mart.

Also, don't get caught up in the Monster Wire Clean Power business from the big box stores. If you don't know what it is, YOU DEFINITELY DON'T NEED IT! I spent about $900.00 on a high-end entry level speaker setup and they were trying to sell me a $500.00 'Monster Clean Power' unit insisting I needed it.

Also, PLEASE, remember that the newer technology... Optical cables, HDMI are DIGITAL. This means that the signal is either a 1 or a 0. There isn't a HDMI cable that's going to give you a better picture or clearer sound. A 10$ Wal-mart HDMI cable will perform the same as a $200 Monster HDMI cable. The only time quality of the cable (not brand name) will be an issue is with long runs (think wiring up bars or restaurants) and even then, you're either gonna get a crystal clear signal -- or not. 1 or 0.
Old 2010-09-22, 10:40 PM
Administrator

There are varying opinions on that.. however, I do not usually buy into the 'high grade' speaker cabling as there is rarely a decernable difference. Just match the gauge with what you want to do.

As for HDMI cables.. I tend to steer away from the cheap stuff. Mainly because it's not built that well. I don't need a cable falling out the back of something, or the connector breaking too easily, or it not being flexible enough, etc..
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-09-23, 01:39 PM
Regular User

I found some cables at home depot 14AWG 2C FT4, 250ft for $120. Seems reasonably priced. Since it's going to be placed inside the wall... I guess it might be best if I use the in-wall cable with the FT4 rating. Anyone had experience with these? I think I might go pick up a roll this weekend.
Old 2010-09-25, 09:46 AM
Administrator

I have no idea what Home Depot sells for speaker wiring. But usually you will want FT4 rated jacket.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/