Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2011-05-20, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Personally, I think it simply comes down to whatever someone is willing to pay to feel good about their setup. I'm a bit of an enthusiast but I do try to keep my realities in check with the pocketbook.

Whether the budget is spent on wires, connectors, components or installation - it's an overall balance that the consumer feels happy about spending on their entertainment system.

And if someone can spare no expense....power to them! (pardon the pun)

Old 2011-05-20, 01:23 PM
Regular User

I recently finished my basement and all the electronic components were on the economy side.
HD projector, Yamaha receiver with speakers/stands, 92" inch mounted screen and mustang universal mount, with ALL cabling was just short of 2000 all in and I can tell you I cannot be more pleased. The HD quality for movies and sports is amazing.
A coworker of mine did something similar however he spent in the neighbourhood of 15000.00 and I can say watching the same programs I could really not see or hear the difference other than it was substantially louder and his projector required much less ambient light to be viewable, so essentially unless you were watching with very low light the image was poor otherwise.
I guess a true expert can tell the difference but I'm not sure even if I had the money if I would be willing to spend extra money for a 5, 10 or even 20 percent improvement.
Old 2011-05-20, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Thick guage wiring does help when you are trying to move a lot of power. The speakers for this system we large ELAC towers. We did not sell the speaker wires for the front, but I think the specialty cables were 10g.

Each cable to the fronts were identicle in length.

We did supply the 12g wiring for the surround speakers. They had to be equal in length to each other and the writing towards the speaker to ensure the spiraling was going a certain way.

We supplied and installed another system today using a smaller KEF T105 flat speaker system and ran 16g to each from a Denon 1611. It was a 10x10 room. Wiring was about the same length for the fronts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	8500  
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-05-21, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixw View Post
I'm going to pre-wire my house with speaker wires... any recommendations on what I should get? I figure I'll need about 250ft of cable for the 2 rooms. I've looked at a few options:

1) Audioquest FLX-14/2 from Crutchfield.ca
2) Rocketfish wires (16 gauge) from futureshop
3) Cheap 14 gauge wires from rona

Any recommendations or others that I should consider??? I don't want to get something too expensive...
Comes down to what kind of speaker you are installing at the end the expected level of performance from them. There are some distance signal loss issues to take into consideration but that only would take place when a 14-2 speaker wire to is greater than 200 feet. IMHO, any half descent 14/2 would do. I would recommend that you do not run them next to any power lines ..

If you are setting up a home theater .. that is a total different application. BI-Amp with good quality HDMI with proper cable length ect is the only way to go ..
Old 2011-09-08, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Monoprice speakerwire works great for me and cheapest around.