Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2004-05-27, 03:02 PM

Default Custom build vs builder plan build - opinions needed pls

We are considering doing a custom build which combines characteristics of plans from several builders into 1 home. But we have heard varying opinions on custom building (sitting with the architect & drafting plans) vs using a builders plans.

Questions we have are:
1) Is it more costly to custom build
2) Is the base price the builder quotes reliable (from what I understand they will develop a price which will be close to what the final cost is - but how close is the question)
3) Does this require more "babysitting" of the building process than builder plans

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated as this whole process is quite overwhelming right now