Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2011-08-31, 11:57 AM
Regular User

Default apple tv vs boxee box

Does anyone use apple tv or boxee box (or anything similar)?
I am looking to get one of these systems but I really have no clue about them.

In general, I am not a fan of apple and their commitment to DRM (silly iTunes)but would consider it if it was the best option.
Old 2011-08-31, 12:38 PM
Regular User

look into getting a small nettop type PC (I have a acer revo) and put xbmc on it. I have this setup and works very well.

Old 2011-08-31, 01:57 PM
Regular User

A lot depends on your budget and needs; what content you want to watch; where is it coming from; etc.

I picked up a Patriot Box Office for $45 to stream HD movies from my home server. It can stream from Youtube as well.

FYI, Apple TV cannot output 1080p, if that is important to you.
Old 2011-08-31, 04:27 PM
Regular User

I use a WD live TV hub with a 1TB hardrive. i love it. i have it plugged into my TV using an hdmi cable and i can watch videos from its hardrive, my PC or my network attached storage. it plays 1080p video and it can also go on youtube i believe and netflix.
Old 2011-08-31, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I have just about everything, WD Live, Asus oPlay, Boxee Box and I've set up more than a few AppleTVs for clients (just did 2 more today).

ApplyTV is the slickest interface and it will playback all iTunes content, it will connect to your computer and grab iTunes content from there, etc.. It will not join a DLNA network and stream media from other devices (without modification). No USB port for plugging in storage devices, which isn't a big deal to most people.

Boxee Box is my current device of choice. I use it mainly for Netflix and streaming some content off my local network. Works quite well and is well supported. I just don't like the fact that it does not have an IR based controller, so adding it into my control systems is not as easy.

WD Live and Asus oPlay! are based off of a reference design from a chip manufacturer.. they have a PLC of about 12-18 months.. which has now passed. Getting support for these devices is difficult. Their interfaces are buggy, and the Samba support on the WD Live is hit and miss.

Other options:

PlayStation 3, it only does everything! Really, it's a great device.. BluRay and it streams DLNA.

XBox 360, haven't really used it to be honest. I've connected many of them for systems, but never got around to setting one up.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-09-01, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
We watch little tv (no cable), all we watch is the online content from CTV, Global. We also watch movies that are downloaded (in a completely legitimate fashion). These are stored on a portable HD.

We also have most of our music on computer but in truth, have not been able to make much use of it lately as I am not sure how to get the computer to talk to our stereo - I will need a newer one (20 years is just too old).

If a Boxee Box can do that, then I would be happy with that. I like that Apple TV is easy to interface but iTune is a pretty large deal-breaker. I will defintely look into xbmc though. I am interested in any options.
Old 2011-09-01, 01:10 PM
Regular User

if what ever option you get can see files from your computer/network, then you can plug the media box into your stereo via the RCA jacks (if the media box and stereo has them). then when you play the music stored on your computer, you can hear it through your stereo.

you can buy a receiver today for $200.
Old 2011-09-02, 09:49 AM
Regular User

I would say that the Apple TV 2 is the way to go. Once you Jailbreak it and install XBMC on it you'll be able to play anything you can think of and the database feature is amazing. I've used many devices from a WDTV to a Boxee Box and XBMC and I wouldn't use anything else other than an Apple TV 2 with XBMC; you can't beat it for the money!
Old 2011-09-02, 12:44 PM
Regular User

I too have an ATV2... I was debating the Boxee Box but was told (falsely) that with some modifications you can put the Boxee Box software on the ATV, and then essentially have "both" boxes. That only works on the original ATV...for now.

I've got my ATV2 jailbroken (to install additional software) and have installed the Plex Media Manager onto it. The interface is great, works with Plex Media Manager on my computer (which I know can eat a little memory, but well worth it for the interface in my opinion), and it means I only need one media server setup on my computer (my Samsung TV has wifi with Plex installed as well). The 720p output is "disappointing" vs 1080p, but for content stored on my computer, I don't see a need to store 4GB movies and kill my bandwith everytime I want to buy and download a new film. Keep in mind if you are happy with the HD signal from your cable/satelitte provider, you are watching 1080i video, which in my opinion is lower in quality than 720p, but everyone has a preference.

The only other restriction, for audiophiles, is that I believe the ATV2 only supports up to 5.1 sound, I have a 5.1 system so it is perfect for my needs, but those looking at 7.1 and 7.2 will be SOL.
Old 2011-09-13, 08:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
I use a WD live TV hub with a 1TB hardrive. i love it. i have it plugged into my TV using an hdmi cable and i can watch videos from its hardrive, my PC or my network attached storage. it plays 1080p video and it can also go on youtube i believe and netflix.

This is exactly what have done too. It plays anything I throw at it