Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2012-02-24, 06:14 PM
Regular User

As far as we know there still hasn't been any permits granted from the town. I doubt there will be any time soon either considering the builder is in a legal battle with the town and they probably aren't in any rush to give them anything. We contaced the town a few months ago and although they wouldn't really tell us much they did tell us in a round about way that it would likely be a long wait for the permits. We have yet to receive any notice of delay but expect it any day now .. our closing is schedule for July 5th of this year but know there's no way that's going to happen. We expect it to be pushed into 2013 considering there are people who have already been delayed over a year! So disappointing.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:12 AM
Regular User

We got a call from the builder yesterday telling us that we have to come do all our selections (brick, kitchen, etc) because they are closing down the trailer and we are the only ones left to do them. Has everybody else already done their selections/upgrades? We asked about when we should do them a few months ago but never got a response and then get a call yesterday saying we are the last ones and have to do them within a week or the trailer will be gone! No warning or previous phone call at all .. we have three kids and no family close by so we can't just up and go at the drop of a hat. Anyway, just curious if indeed everybody else has made their selections and how was the selections and prices?
Old 2012-03-13, 07:35 AM

Hi all,
We also got a call to come choose our colours. A year ago it would have been exciting By now we are much more sceptical though. We also felt rushed. Unfortunately, the rush is not due to the need to start construction soon but only because the sales office is closing. There is a weight limit on truck load currently in Innisfil until May, so they are not planning to start foundations at least until May anyway. How short is the building season for MLH? How many homes can they build during the season and, most importantly, how well they can build them in such a short time?
The colour selection I found very limited. The outside colours are not bad but there are only 5 samples to choose from and if you bought after your neighbours did, you really only have 3 choices. Inside colours are rather outdated. Nowadays you can get beautiful ceramic tiles at very little cost anywhere but what they have is not impressive. The hardwood is very expensive and all samples look the same to me, not very much choice at all. It is disappointing, I was expecting more since MLH is planing to build upscale houses in Richmond Hill after us, I was kinda hoping that they found better sources for samples by now. Well, it looks like the inside of all our houses will be looking very much the same. The upside is that we will be feeling at home whenever we go visiting each other
Oh, yes, and there is no kitchen guy at the moment. Apparently the one that MLH dealt with has been unreliable and they are in the process to replace him.
I would love to hope that once the colour selection is done it will be all smooth sailing from there, but it doesn't look like it yet.
Still hoping to move in by Christmas 2012. Is it possible? They don't even speculate anymore on our closing date. The last official one that we have is Spring 2012, which obviously is not going to happen.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:14 PM
Regular User

That's disappointing about the selection being limited and outdated. I guess we'll see first hand tomorrow. Our appointment is at 3pm. We got our first official notice of delay today. New closing is November of this year. We'll see. We're not hopeful and expecting it to be until sometime next year.
Old 2012-04-14, 07:44 PM
Regular User

Hey there! Has anybody heard anything new lately? We haven't been up that way but I assume there isn't much going on.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:47 AM

We have contacted the city about two weeks ago, since we have been hearing the same thing from MLH for over a year now: the plans are in the process of approval. The city was surprisingly quick and helpful with the reply, they confirmed that MLH have submitted the engineering plans a couple of times and the plans have been returned to them for revisions. As far as I understand, the plans have to be approved, the subdivision has to be registered and then the permits will be issued before any construction can start. The city was unable to provide me with any timelines as part of the process depends on MLH. I think it is in the interests of MLH to move ahead with the construction asap, as they have been sitting on a major investment, paying taxes, etc. But it is up to their working together with the city and the lawsuit is hardly helping I guess.
Anyway, I am still hoping to move in this year. Even though the unsertainty is becoming a nuisance: we have to make plans, register children for school, etc. And it is all up in the air still...
Old 2012-04-16, 09:58 PM

Default Looking for answers!

For at least 6-8 months I have been trying to find a way to communicate with future Summerlane home owners who share my frustrations. It looks like I have a site to add to my favorites.

In October 2010 we paid our deposit and agreed with MLH that August 11, 2011 would be our closing date. Included in this agreement was that we were required to sell our current home (in Brampton) by April 2011, which we did. By making numerous phone calls to the sales office and getting different people answering, it was revealed that the August date would not be met instead; it would probably be late 2011. This of course caused a problem because my closing date for my home in Brampton was July 1st and I had planned to stay in a hotel in Barrie until August 11. With this new unofficial closing date (no letter had been sent at this point only a verbal statement) I began searching for a short term rental, July 2011 to late 2011! After weeks of searching for a short term rental and receiving quotes of $2600 -$3200 per month I once again called MLH and was advised by a wonderful elderly man (was always honest and sincere) that summer 2012 was a more realistic date. I was both grateful and upset to hear this. Happy because now I was able to search for a rental home in Innisfil, close to the kids future school and sign a 1 yr contract. No need to explain why I was upset. In mid July I finally found a contact in the engineering department in the Town of Innisfil. As mentioned by another Summerlane buyer there had been delays in the builders engineer submitting the blueprints. MLH agreed however, wasnít sure for the reason for the delay. In October or November of 2011 my contact at the town advised me that they had received the blueprints and returned them to MLH with 97 submissions. Yes 97. I then drove around town and asked other builders if this was outrageously high. None of them (3) had ever heard such a thing and didnít believe me. I canít help but wonder if the lawsuit has anything to do with this? Of course both MLH and the Town say there is no connection. Fast forward to March 19, 2012 and my wife and I find ourselves choosing our exteriors and interiors. We were also told that it was because the contract with the sales rep was ending at the end of the week and MLH wanted her to get them done. Of course they asked for us to pay the upgrades prior to the end of this month. Therefore MLH will have a total of approx $ 55,000 of my money without evening having a building permit. I apologize for the length of this message however, as mentioned before I have been waiting for some time to share this disaster with people other than my friends and family. The bright side is that Iíve come to enjoy what Innisfil offers and have assisted in paying someone elseís mortgage. Tomorrow I plan to call the Town again to see if there is any progress. I also have a friend with Innisfil hydro who will keep me updated on the progress of the application for services (which can take numerous months), oh ya, this can only happen once the building permit is issued.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Hi all ... just thought I'd say hello and see if there's been any news. Still no movement at the site I hear. Anybody almost at the point of getting their deposit back? I think it's the two year mark when they have to start reimbursing people .. correct me if I'm wrong? I seem to remember reading that in our contract. And as far as I know there were some people who bought back in 2010.
Old 2012-05-23, 01:46 PM

A call to the Town yesterday revealed that the most recent copy of the blue prints is still in the hands of the senior engineers. I was told that it would be about two weeks before it was in the hands of MLH. In regards to pull out at the end of the term (contract) our contract expires in Jan, 2013 which is 27 months after we signed our contract. This information should be on your schedule "J" in your contract. Prices for new homes have gone up in Innisfil and there are no new developments north, south or east of this MLH site. So if it's being close to the lake in a new home then this is the only option.
Old 2012-05-24, 07:36 AM

Welcome Forza Roma and thank you for sharing your story. We would have been in the same situation ourselves we even hired a sales agent to sell our current house over a year ago then the Sales Office advised us to wait until at least MLH puts the ground services in since the houses in our area had been selling very quickly, so we are still waiting...
Our contract expires very soon too. So far we've decided to wait and see where MLH is by the end of the contract. We may extend it a little if any actual construction will start by then, however if "the plans are still with engineers" by the end of it all I have no desire to invest another year or two of my family's life into this project. Where we currently are is not working for us at all and we all set to move by the end of this year or early next year the latest. We love Ontario and were looking forward living in Innisfil, however there are many nice places across Canada and since we are flexible we are looking for a plan B country-wide. We are also working closely with our lawyer, (who is very good even if somewhat expensive) to make sure we'll be able to get all our money back at the end of it all.