Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-09-27, 09:05 AM
Regular User

Default Hobbies - home improvement, home decor etc...

Just wondering what people like to do for hobbies?
Since finding Ana-White.com, I'm obsessed with building my own furniture! I like it a little rustic, a la Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.
First, I built my reclaimed wood (look-a-like) headboard for our king size bed. I'm really proud of it, as I did it all on my own and as a surprise for my hubby
Next, we have moved on to a Farmhouse Table for our dining room. Started it last night and it's coming along nicely.
As a beginner saw, I got the Rockwell BladeRunner for my birthday - unpacked it last night and it's awesome! So easy to use, as the last time I cut a piece of wood was in shop class over 15 years ago
I now have a project list of another 5 pieces or so...
What does everyone else like to do?
Old 2011-09-27, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Since finding Ana-White.com, I'm obsessed with building my own furniture! I like it a little rustic, a la Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.
First, I built my reclaimed wood (look-a-like) headboard for our king size bed. I'm really proud of it, as I did it all on my own and as a surprise for my hubby
Next, we have moved on to a Farmhouse Table for our dining room. Started it last night and it's coming along nicely.
As a beginner saw, I got the Rockwell BladeRunner for my birthday - unpacked it last night and it's awesome! So easy to use, as the last time I cut a piece of wood was in shop class over 15 years ago
I've dabbled in the home reno project with a deck, basement and murphy bed, however true love is electronics and gadgetry, how to get the coolest gadgets for the most economical price. For example an entire home theathre setup that wows for 2 grand.

What I'm most impressed is that you got a tool for your birthday and your husband isn't staying at the local days inn...hmmm wonder if the wife would like the air compressor nailer combo kit...
Old 2011-09-27, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post

What I'm most impressed is that you got a tool for your birthday and your husband isn't staying at the local days inn...hmmm wonder if the wife would like the air compressor nailer combo kit...
Yep - all my friends and family were like "Huh?". Especially because I work in the beauty industry for a loving Should've seen the border guard's face when he asked me the total goods and the most expensive thing I bought on my last trip back from the States. He outright said he wasn't expecting me to say table saw!
I've asked for the nailer already, it's a toss up for that or a KregJig as my next treat
Old 2011-09-27, 01:02 PM
Regular User

My hobbies almost all relate to sports/fitness so I'm not going to add much to this discussion!

Cosmogrrl, I would be really interested in seeing your table as it comes along. I am not really a crafty person, but I'm debating building a harvest table and bench for our kitchen because I can't quite find what I want. Have you found a website or something you're using as a guide?
Old 2011-09-27, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Haven't moved in yet, but I have my "planned" hobby list lol.

First, we have two bulkheads that need to be extended, and one to be created. Can't wait to learn that! Then, we want to create this box-looking thing around our kitchen island lights on the ceiling....

Then we want to build this massive shelving unit on one wall for the "boardroom" (the wall is 13.5 ft high)....(I own a million books and they need a home other than a storage bin lol)

I am creating these 3 huge shadow boxes to display our lives (have big walls to fill)...and I like the idea of creating wall-size art with pictures we've taken and blowing them up and sticking them on boards...

Luckily, my husband and I like getting our hands dirty. Oh ya, and in 2 years time it's the creation of the Man Cave while I landscape the crap out of everything.....=)

All in good time......

Last edited by happyhome; 2011-09-27 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2011-09-27, 01:18 PM
Regular User

See - this is fun already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyR View Post

Cosmogrrl, I would be really interested in seeing your table as it comes along. I am not really a crafty person, but I'm debating building a harvest table and bench for our kitchen because I can't quite find what I want. Have you found a website or something you're using as a guide?
LucyR - I suggest you browse through Ana-white.com. It's all free plans and the step-by-step instructions are beyond easy. Such a great way to start out and not being discouraged! Here is the link to the Farmhouse Bench and Table we will be doing
Old 2011-09-27, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Here is the link to the Farmhouse Bench and Table we will be doing

This is EXACTLY what I want!! Wow. Maybe if yours works out I can hire you to make a second
Old 2011-09-27, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Wow. Good for you!

My wife's hobby is shopping.
Old 2011-09-27, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Wow. Good for you!

My wife's hobby is shopping.
Mine too!
But who could justify the $2700+ that Restoration Hardware wants to charge for an unfinished table?!
A couple of 2x4's, 2x8's, and 2x2's and *poof* - I've got my own!
I'll also be making an entryway console table, bathroom cabinet and the bench to match my table.