Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-05, 04:50 PM
Regular User

Default dirty/discoloured Grout

We just moved in to our new house, in the entrance way and ensuite I chose a nice dark grout to go with the tile. Originally I thought it was just dirty as it is winter (salt, mud etc. I noticed this on pdi and let them know to clean it, then figured they must not have cleaned it).

I spent my morning today giving it a good clean, got down on my hands and knees with a brush and warm soapy water and damp rags, then I went over it with my steam mop and it is still dirty looking, for the most part it is largely discoloured, there are a lot of white/light blotches, it is almost as though all the dust and dirt settled and got dried unto the grout during the building process, is this possible? I figure it is that or they did not mix the cement properly, or use enough colour I do not know?

What can they do to fix this, my nice dark chocolate grout looks grey and it drives me crazy as I feel I have this beautiful new house and my grout is dirty. Will they be able to repair this, messy job? Easy fix?

For the most part, I think they did a great job, and I know this is minor compared to other things that can go wrong but I still want my grout fixed!
Old 2012-03-05, 06:12 PM
Regular User

mia its an easy fix - snow/salt/sand or maybe they replaced a tile with the wrong grout

doesn't matter - it doesn't match and they will fix it
Old 2012-03-05, 06:48 PM
Regular User

We were told to put the grout fix on our one year list after we put it on our 30 day list.
Most probably it will be some crack in the grout over the year because of the house settling. We are waiting for one year to replace almost all the grout in our house.
Old 2012-03-05, 07:38 PM
Regular User

Urgh really, a whole year! I think it will all have to be redone as it is pretty discoloured/dirty everywhere..whatever it is, is caked on, at least I know it can go on my list and they will get it fixed, I did not even know it could get messed up like that!
Old 2012-03-05, 08:04 PM
Regular User

They replaced all mine at my foyer at the 30 day. Scraped it all out and regrouted. No big deal.
Our beige grout was brown/black in spots from not being protected by trades. Imagine that
Old 2012-03-06, 07:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia09 View Post
Urgh really, a whole year! I think it will all have to be redone as it is pretty discoloured/dirty everywhere..whatever it is, is caked on, at least I know it can go on my list and they will get it fixed, I did not even know it could get messed up like that!
There is no reason to wait a year, or to agree to wait. We had front entrance regrouted at 30 day point as well.
Old 2012-03-06, 08:39 AM
Regular User

See if you can get them to fix the grout after everything else is fixed on your 30 day? It would be kind of pointless for them to fix that first and then have all that foot traffic from the trades causing the same problem again.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-03-06, 10:12 AM
Regular User

They don't make much of a mess. since when they scrap it out they follow with a shop vac sucking in the dust right away.
Old 2012-03-06, 08:34 PM
Regular User

perfect, thanks guys, I will put it on my list!! I feel like I am missing something or maybe an inspector would know but so far our thirty day list is pretty compact..let's hope I did not just jinx myself....fingers crossed everything is good with this house!!!!
Old 2012-03-06, 10:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia09 View Post
perfect, thanks guys, I will put it on my list!! I feel like I am missing something or maybe an inspector would know but so far our thirty day list is pretty compact..let's hope I did not just jinx myself....fingers crossed everything is good with this house!!!!
I could always swing by and take a look for you I'm pretty dam picky...