Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-02-18, 12:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
the life of those shingles is very predicable sad to say

we all make our own choices - strange to me though people will upgrade the underpad but not the roof :?

my original point was surprise that the builders in a 'highend' community would be using such low end shingles
I beg to differ...I know people who've owned their homes for more than 10 years without having to re-do their roof. There are many factors that cause a roof to need repairing.

I don't ever recall the type of shingles ever being an upgrade perse with any of the builders I have looked in to building with. Usually, the builder will work with one supplier for a set style of shingle for the entire community, thus getting a good deal on the product. The only thing available for choice is the colour. The same goes for any siding used or other material for that matter.

And as far as your original point...It's something you'd have to take up with Monarch and Cardel...I don't think anyone has that info on this forum as far as why a builder has used a certain grade of shingle, which you think looks not as good as one you prefer.

I've yet to see a builder use the top of the line material for the entire house with exception of some custom home builders, and even then, they cheap out on what they can. Otherwise there would be no large profit margin, because the homes would be priced out of a huge percentage of the population. A good example of one builder who prices higher because they use different plywood is Holitzner. Nice homes, but not worth the extra 20k for similar sized model and finishings on the same street because they used better plywood..HAHA!

Last edited by BlkStnBerk2; 2013-02-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 2013-02-18, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post

I don't ever recall the type of shingles ever being an upgrade perse with any of the builders I have looked in to building with. Usually, the builder will work with one supplier for a set style of shingle for the entire community, thus getting a good deal on the product. The only thing available for choice is the colour.
Interesting I don't know a builder who does NOT offer shingle upgrades these days. The ones I have used, most recently Holitzner, have a little display, product brochures etc.
Old 2013-02-18, 01:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Interesting I don't know a builder who does NOT offer shingle upgrades these days. The ones I have used, most recently Holitzner, have a little display, product brochures etc.
Well when I was looking to buy with Holitzner in Deer Run last Christmas, I spoke with the sales lady at the time exclusively about available upgrades for exterior and structural, and she said the only option was colour when it came to the roof. I was mostly interested in the Cambridge and I didn't want all the siding. Then I was recently looking with Richcraft, Tamarack, and Tartan..None of them offered shingle upgrades when I asked.

So either none of these sales people are educated on the matter, or they don't actually give you a choice.

I know when I was a site supervisor, we would secure a deal with a supplier for one certain grade and style of shingle for each community we were building in. Other builders in the same area, for example Timbermere, would jump in on the deal and we would all use the same shingle.

Old 2013-02-18, 01:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
And as far as your original point...It's something you'd have to take up with Monarch and Cardel...I don't think anyone has that info on this forum as far as why a builder has used a certain grade of shingle, which you think looks not as good as one you prefer.
We all know why - keep costs down, max profits, offer upgrades to better quality and/or appearance at premium prices

I'm just surprised that with the degree of architectural control / design management here, that they didn't make arhitectural shingles mandatory.
Old 2013-02-18, 01:16 PM
Regular User

Imagine it was offered as an upgrade...They'd have to warrant offering it. Basically guess whether or not it would be worth their while. Otherwise, they are not getting the "bulk" discount on the item, and the cost is going to be passed on to the buyer.

Which communities do you know of that use this type of shingle exclusively or a higher than 75% of the homes have architectural shingles?

Old 2013-02-18, 01:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Well when I was looking to buy with Holitzner in Deer Run last Christmas, I spoke with the sales lady at the time exclusively about available upgrades for exterior and structural, and she said the only option was colour when it came to the roof. I was mostly interested in the Cambridge and I didn't want all the siding. Then I was recently looking with Richcraft, Tamarack, and Tartan..None of them offered shingle upgrades when I asked.

So either none of these sales people are educated on the matter, or they don't actually give you a choice.
The Holitzner shingle display is in the design centre. We upgraded ours The contract was very specific on what shingles, xx years, manufacturer, colour.

I can assure you they are delighted to replace all the siding you want - brick, stone, stucco, partial or full front all available.

Perhaps that specific model? Dunno

Tartan and Tamarack actually now install 35 year arch shingles included in the advertised prices. Colour only for them would make sense, but I bet you can upgrade the 'xxyear' aspect
Old 2013-02-18, 01:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
The Holitzner shingle display is in the design centre. We upgraded ours The contract was very specific on what shingles, xx years, manufacturer, colour.

I can assure you they are delighted to replace all the siding you want - brick, stone, stucco, partial or full front all available.

Perhaps that specific model? Dunno

Tartan and Tamarack actually now install 35 year arch shingles included in the advertised prices. Colour only for them would make sense, but I bet you can upgrade the 'xxyear' aspect
No idea...All I know is what they told me.

Not to mention...when probably 99% of buyers are buying a home, they are not educated on different grades of shingles.

In any case, I think everyone will be fine with their 25 year fibreglass shingles that are offered as standard.

Old 2013-02-18, 01:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Which communities do you know of that use this type of shingle exclusively or a higher than 75% of the homes have architectural shingles?
Interesting question some insights:

Current phases of Tartan Tamarack (say last 2 or 3 years) all have them.

One of the worst looking areas imo is Fraser Fields - the semis with arch 35 year and the singles with 3-tab 24s.

I think trailwest is mixed based on which builder)

Deer Run I and II is mixed based on owner choices. Phase III also with increasing % of arch.

Haven't been to a minto or richcraft development in a few months.

Ice shield, full tarpaper, chimney vents are pretty standard 'roof upgrades now also.

I believe the % of 'owner' upgraded shingles remains very low on new builds.

I don't think enough people appreciate the durability aspect to persue this option. Its a low cost option if offered and worth every penny - imo.

Real life example - last summer big wind storm, west/east facing properties.
90% of 3 tab houses on the street and behind lost shingles, none of the arch shingled roofs needed any repairs.

Interesting that arch shingles are probably 80+% of re-shingle business.
Old 2013-02-18, 01:47 PM
Regular User

These are the shingles Cardel use in case anyone is interested.

http://www.iko.com/products/resident...ctDetailsSpecs

Old 2013-02-18, 02:48 PM
Regular User

I'm suggesting people take a look at these>>

http://www.iko.com/products/resident...DetailsColours

also fiy everyone:

Cardel allows upgrades of the shingles

Monarch is using architectural shingles as their standard there, no upgrades from those. Colour package choices as is usual.

Last edited by good2know; 2013-02-18 at 03:09 PM.