Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-01-25, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djBern View Post
ok, I'll take that advice (it's a lot of work lol!)

Is the builder's insulation really that bad? I'm guessing even if I don't frame/finish the basement just replacing the bagged with roxul will be a big improvement?
Bagged builder insulation has a lot of inherent problems. First off the product is generally not installed properly, the installers are rushing and you do not have a good seal especially in the headers (major source of air movement). Secondly the basement from the builder is not designed to be habitable, the bagged insulation provides a bare minimum protection if that. Finally insulation is not supposed to be crammed or stuffed, it is supposed to be installed firmly but loose. I’ve never seen this with bagged insulation.

Bagged insulation will get you by with a basement used as storage not as a livable space.

To me it sounds as if budget is a factor, if so not a problem, use cost effective (not cheap) materials like roxul and rigid foam. You can easily do a 25 x 25 basement for about 1000.00 bucks. Again this may sound like a lot to some, again no problem. I ran into a similar situation, cash flow was tight, we just had our first baby, wife was on mat leave, single income and daycare was around the corner. I put together a detailed plan went to Rona and said this is what I want to do, here are the materials I need on these dates with 3 separate deliveries but I do not have any money. Ok here is a DNP for 12 months. The key to this is to stick to your budget, do not spend extra money on unnecessary toys and get the job done right, I paid our DNP off with no problems and have a beautiful 600 extra sq/ft of usable, living space.

Yes you can just put the insulation up and then vapour barrier it, if your intent is to finish you basement not sure why you would do this. I had a friend who did this, double R14 used strapping to hold in place, put vapour barrier up and called in the government rebate. That could be another option for you, do the insulation on the cost effective side but well and you could possibly get the entire project comped.

BTW it is a lot of work...

Read this carefully http://www.homeperformance.com/
Old 2013-01-25, 10:07 AM
Regular User

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Makes a lot more sense now.

Budget will always be a factor, but right now I'm still in the research/pre-planning stage. I'm not against spending the money for the best solution. I just want to ensure I'm aware of the return on that extra expenditure, weighing the pros on cons. I see a lot of good advice on this forum which will really benefit people like me.

Thanks again.