Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2015-07-18, 06:13 PM
Regular User

Hi Cooktown, i appreciate your comments and yes there alway's will be a balance of interest for sure, however the bottom line here is we are paying customer's and without us the builder's would not be in business or building homes, we deserve respect and great customer service from start to finish, It's a lot of money we are spending.
Our experience has not been that bad my husband is a trades person and he has been very impressed with their workmanship, but we did ask for a delay and they said no, and they made some mistakes and would not be reasonable to resolve these issues, so this has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Old 2015-07-18, 06:19 PM
Regular User

One more thing we have met several neighbours and most of them have had issues but not all and some worse then others, so there is the balance. I'm not enjoying all the appointments for the trades people having to come in at all different times to fix these deficiencies, this has been a big inconvenience, especially when you can't get them all on the same day. If it wasn't for the warranty i would not have them come back and my husband would fix them all.
Cheers, for now Happy
Old 2015-07-20, 12:53 PM
Regular User

Hey Happy,
Thanks...here are the Instructions:

1. Log-In
2. Hit "User CP" on the Upper Left Side of the page.
3. In Control Panel Under "Settings&Options" Click "Edit Options".
4. Enable "Private Messaging".

If you have any Questions, post me.

Looking forward to you reply.

Thanks,
Old 2015-07-20, 01:44 PM
Regular User

I forgot...after you enable, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page after and hit Save changes tab.

Thanks,
Old 2015-07-20, 11:19 PM
Regular User

Hey Cookstown,

My Experience has not been all negative, I am excited about the new home and happy with many of the things I asked to be added to their original house model. However, regarding risk, WE have taken on as much or even more risk than the developer has. WE pay for extras (So far they have over $70,000 of our money that we cant collect interest on, and without a closing date I might add) , WE are charged for levies and unplanned unforeseen costs, and WE don't have the luxury of selling multiple homes of which to make profit on. To me, the only saving grace we have is Tarion...ever seen homes on homes or any home renovating show? Many home owners have been taken for their money and not seen it coming....which is precisely why their IS Tarion.

Last edited by Natural; 2015-07-20 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2015-07-21, 12:21 AM
Regular User

Hi Natural, thanks you for the instructions, ok so i followed the instructions so hopefully it works, cheers look forward to speaking with you.

Happy
Old 2015-07-21, 08:32 AM
Regular User

Hi Natural,

Of course you are right: there are risks on both sides. And your point about upgrade dollars is a good one. Like you, we've turned over quite a sum, plus the deposit! But I think you will agree that buying from a developer like North Star, one that has an excellent reputation for quality materials and workmanship and with deep enough pockets that you aren't worried about bankruptcy, is far less risky and stressful than hiring an architect, buying your own lot, and dealing with all the trades directly. We've had some experience with that and so much can go wrong - costs can really balloon along the way. We had our lawyer cap the development fees on this new house and, after our structural and decor appointments, we have a very clear sense of the final costs. When you are building a custom one-of-a-kind-home you never have that kind of security. It also sounds like we asked for fewer structural changes than you did - we didn't move any walls for instance. Just a few changes in lighting and plumbing.

I hope are are looking forward to the new community. Cookstown is a great place to live!
Old 2015-07-21, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Cookstown, are you a NORTHSTAR employee?

Happy ; I have for the most part been silent in this forum , but I read quite frequently to see what's going on in the subdivision as it relates to customer service as to compare my wife & I's own experiences etc. ....I have to say your comments over the last two pages are absolutely spot-on regarding poor workmanship and lack of reasonable consideration of appointment scheduling - half of the deficiencies in our home are completely careless and could have easily been avoided had they been properly constructed by professionals in the first place , and the fact that the service department schedule has complete disregard for efficiency to fixing these tasks as it relates to our personal time is a joke. The paint and trim in our house looks like it was done by a two yr old and there are far many worse problems that we have that I do not wish to get into over the forum. I too find it laughable the noticeably better attention to detail & finishing in the models. Final point - the decor staff are just not good at their jobs. Leading up to our appointment , we are encouraged to visit the decor center on weekend to prepare specifically all of our wants and needs in advance to better complete the appointment. My wife and I probably spent several hours putting a listing together in preparation for our appointments that we forwarded in by email in advance only to find out they never even looked at it - it is clear that everyone in that building is simply looking ahead to the next development as the real customers are actually sitting in front of them. Happy I tip my hat to you!

rakahshe
Old 2015-07-21, 12:53 PM
Regular User

rakahshe - no, I'm not a North Stat employee! LOL. Just a happy customer I guess!
Old 2015-07-21, 12:58 PM
Regular User

rakahshe - BTW, we did the same as you and visited the Decor Centre several times to prepare. But we were given sheets to fill out on the weekend. Didn't you get those? We brought the completed sheets to our appt and things went very quickly. We wrapped everything up in two hours.