Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-09-25, 11:39 AM
Regular User

Default Basement PErmit Question

Live in City of Vaghuan.

I'm planning on finishing the basement ans wanted to know if obtaining a electrical permit is dependent on having a building permit, ie: can I forego the building permit and just get the electrical permit?

My issue is I have already completed the exterior wall framing and have spray foamed the exterior walls, so I am sort of apprehensive at this point in applying for a building permit, but my wife wants to get the electrical permit for peace of mind on any fire hazards.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 2013-09-25, 11:43 AM
Regular User

there is no relation between building and electrical to my understanding, as an example esa never asked to see building permit and city never asked to see ESA permits

on that note can I ask how you plan to install electrical with spray foam already complete without disturbing the spray foam? I always thought electrical first then spray foam?
Old 2013-09-25, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC23 View Post
Live in City of Vaghuan.

I'm planning on finishing the basement ans wanted to know if obtaining a electrical permit is dependent on having a building permit, ie: can I forego the building permit and just get the electrical permit?

My issue is I have already completed the exterior wall framing and have spray foamed the exterior walls, so I am sort of apprehensive at this point in applying for a building permit, but my wife wants to get the electrical permit for peace of mind on any fire hazards.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
you should get both. Re: the electrical permit, this is critical for not only ensuring the work is done properly but also for insurance purposes, should anything go wrong later. And yes, you should do Electrical before the spray foam. Kinda late now but it should still be doable, just a little more difficult.
Old 2013-09-25, 11:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F.D. View Post
there is no relation between building and electrical to my understanding, as an example esa never asked to see building permit and city never asked to see ESA permits

on that note can I ask how you plan to install electrical with spray foam already complete without disturbing the spray foam? I always thought electrical first then spray foam?
Yeah as much as I wanted to do the electrical prior to spray foaming, this was not possible given the timelines I had of completing the exterior framing and have insulation in before the Fall. I wanted to be sure we had insulation back up right before.

In any case, the spray foam covers about half the width of a stud so I still got about 2" spacing left to run the electrical lines. Just hope this would be satisfactory for the electrical inspection as some of the literature i see on the permits say to have no insulation in place prior to inspection. You think it's too late now to do an electrical?

Thanks all
Old 2013-09-25, 12:41 PM
Regular User

I don't think you are too late for either. Nothing is closed up and if you did it right there will be no concern to have both inspections done, you may have some extra work from an electrical standpoint but nothing that some elbow grease cannot fix. Anything you damage spray foam wise can be fixed with a can of spray foam.

I'm not trying to be a mike holmes cheerleader but get it done right the first time with permits.
Old 2013-09-25, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Good to know. Thanks guys!!

I'll start the permit applications. Live and learn!
Old 2013-09-25, 02:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
In any case, the spray foam covers about half the width of a stud so I still got about 2" spacing left to run the electrical lines.
This is what I would be worried about - the spray foam may cause the wiring to often be close to the drywall instead of far away. Be careful with anything you poke through or hang on the drywall.

When we got our basement exterior walls sprayfoamed the wiring was all in place and most of it ran on the outside of the studs, against the concrete (builder did it this way) so it's really far from any screws/nails you're going to put up.

If you do run too close to the outside through any studs, put in a strike plate for piece of mind. They're cheap, available at Home Depot by the box.

Quote:
Just hope this would be satisfactory for the electrical inspection as some of the literature i see on the permits say to have no insulation in place prior to inspection. You think it's too late now to do an electrical?
I think the main reason they don't want the insulation in is that in most cases it's fiberglass or mineral wool and would hide all wiring. The ESA inspector wants to see what's done, wants to see derating through holes, and so forth.

Good luck!

Kal
Old 2013-09-25, 07:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Yeah as much as I wanted to do the electrical prior to spray foaming, this was not possible given the timelines I had of completing the exterior framing and have insulation in before the Fall. I wanted to be sure we had insulation back up right before.
If you're ready to do the electrical now, what was the rush to spray foam before fall? Even no insulation on the basement walls in the winter is not a huge concern imo. You're below grade.

I imagine electrical work will be a pain with the spray foam in the way.
Old 2013-09-26, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
If you're ready to do the electrical now, what was the rush to spray foam before fall? Even no insulation on the basement walls in the winter is not a huge concern imo. You're below grade.

I imagine electrical work will be a pain with the spray foam in the way.
Not as bad as I possibly made it seem as I can run the majority of lines overhead into the joists. The hardest part, which would involve digging out some spray foam, is routing the lines back into the Service panel. My concern was that the ESA would not go forward with the inspection, given that the insulation was already up, but Kal brought up a good point that makes this concern moot.
Old 2013-09-26, 09:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalW View Post
This is what I would be worried about - the spray foam may cause the wiring to often be close to the drywall instead of far away. Be careful with anything you poke through or hang on the drywall.

When we got our basement exterior walls sprayfoamed the wiring was all in place and most of it ran on the outside of the studs, against the concrete (builder did it this way) so it's really far from any screws/nails you're going to put up.

If you do run too close to the outside through any studs, put in a strike plate for piece of mind. They're cheap, available at Home Depot by the box.

I think the main reason they don't want the insulation in is that in most cases it's fiberglass or mineral wool and would hide all wiring. The ESA inspector wants to see what's done, wants to see derating through holes, and so forth.

Good luck!

Kal
Hey Kal, will do on the strike plates, I can also use that for the plumbing.

I took a look at your build from your link and OMG, that basement looks absolutely amazing!!!!

IF I may ask a few quick questions; the strapping you used perpendicular to the joists on the ceiling, is that where you affixed the drywall? What is the purpose of using that strapping?

BTW - I got a similar road block with a supply trunk going under an I-Beam that is almost in the middle of my basement!! I spoke to a couple of HVAC contractors and one suggested to cut the joist up and put in a joist header with hangers so that I could run the supply trunk over the I-Beam instead of under it. I'm kind of weary about this idea though as the floor above is a walkway with high traffic. It seems no one has a solution so I may resort to a large niche! lol