Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2013-09-26, 10:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC23 View Post
Hey Kal, will do on the strike plates, I can also use that for the plumbing.
Yup - good point. I used a few myself in our basement in a few spots, like this:

IMHO, putting a nail through a drain or water supply line is probably going to give you 10x worse results than putting it through a 10/2 wire.

Quote:
I took a look at your build from your link and OMG, that basement looks absolutely amazing!!!!
Thanks! It's probably 20 years in the making (learning/planning/etc) but we're happy with the results.

Writing that details blog with all the photos over a period of ~6 months took many hours of work almost daily so I'm glad someone's getting something out of it.

Quote:
IF I may ask a few quick questions; the strapping you used perpendicular to the joists on the ceiling, is that where you affixed the drywall? What is the purpose of using that strapping?
Correct. The drywall attaches the strapping. It's standard building practice, but I've never actually questioned why. It's probably mostly to create an offset because some trades are lazy and don't go through joists, but below them. So you need strapping to offset.

You probably saw this picture:

IF you look closely you'll see the copper gas line (has yellow tape around it every few feet to denote it's gas) that goes below the joists. So strapping was absolutely required, otherwise they'd have to redo the gas line.

My previous house basement had this in the ceiling too, probably for the same reason.

I find it really handy to route wiring too after drywall is up (not something I need to do in this basement but in the previous house the basement ceiling was already drywalled and I had a bunch of speaker wire to run).

Quote:
BTW - I got a similar road block with a supply trunk going under an I-Beam that is almost in the middle of my basement!!
It's very common. The HVAC guys will install the supply ducts in as straight and simple a line as possible to save cost and if it ends up dropping really low into the room, it's not their problem.

Quote:
I spoke to a couple of HVAC contractors and one suggested to cut the joist up and put in a joist header with hangers so that I could run the supply trunk over the I-Beam instead of under it. I'm kind of weary about this idea though as the floor above is a walkway with high traffic. It seems no one has a solution so I may resort to a large niche! lol
Or re-route completely. That's what we did. The supply ducts (and cold air returns) were torn back right to the furnace and completely different routes where used that worked to avoid these issues and create a nice effect on the ceiling where required. A ton of work however, so it's not a cheap/simple solution.

Kal
Old 2013-10-01, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Hey KalW,

Yes, that's the ceiling pic that I saw. I haven't thought of this but will likely incorporate it into my basement as I got a few of those same lines in the worst possible locations too.

Thanks again!
Old 2013-10-01, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Your question has me wondering if strapping like this is typically only done in basements or if you see it on the main floor and second floor as well usually? Anyone know? If they do use it on other floors is it for the same reasons (ie: trades take the easiest route such that the drywallers have to to use strapping)?

Kal
Old 2013-10-01, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalW View Post
Your question has me wondering if strapping like this is typically only done in basements or if you see it on the main floor and second floor as well usually? Anyone know? If they do use it on other floors is it for the same reasons (ie: trades take the easiest route such that the drywallers have to to use strapping)?

Kal

I do know my builder used a similar method on my second floor using metal furring channels. I see this in the attic. Not sure if it was used on the main floor though and if this is a standard building practice.