Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2013-11-05, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Default Design Centre - Appointments & Upgrades

Hey guys, thought of starting this thread to get some ideas on what upgrades and options people have chosen at their DC appointments. Keep the thoughts flowing!
Old 2013-11-05, 03:04 PM
Regular User

So I'll get started here with some of the upgrades I chose:

1. Upgraded countertops in all bathrooms - Emperador Light marble in master, Grey Expo silestone in main bath and Merengo in-law suite
2. Raised vanity height to kitchen height in bathrooms
3. Quartz slab seat in master super shower stall
4. Laminate flooring in upper floor walkway
5. Grande package for the kitchen - olive green cabinets
6. Under cabinet valance lighting
7. Pendant lights over kitchen island
8. Double sink in master ensuite
9. Kitten white paint throughout

Those are some of the big ones!

Last edited by jaffa; 2013-11-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 2013-11-05, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Hey Jaffa - this must be quite exciting. What are the cost for these upgrades?

Thanks!
Old 2013-11-05, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Over and above the design $$ credit, we went 2k over. Honestly, it was so exciting, can't wait! How about u? Are you done with the DC? What kind of home did you buy?
Old 2013-11-06, 11:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
Over and above the design $$ credit, we went 2k over. Honestly, it was so exciting, can't wait! How about u? Are you done with the DC? What kind of home did you buy?
Hi Jaffa,

Thanks for starting this thread.. I got a 45' lot and chose the Snap Dragon. I think people should really talk about those options. There is too much to digest for the design center appointment. I did quite a bit of cross referencing and there are some super deals and some over priced stuff. I got a cross referenced quote on almost everything I chose at the design center. Some of them I thought for sure were over priced (ie: level 4 wood on the second floor) but competitve installers were quoting within 1000$ of mattamy DC pricing especailly on the wood we chose. They told me to go for it !

the only thing I am trying to figure out is how you only went 2K over the credit. You must be extremely desciplined!
Old 2013-11-07, 12:22 AM
Regular User

Hahaha.. I tried.. But it's also easier when you have a townhome vs. a detached.. I went through a lot of soul searching for what I absolutely must have (listed above) and what I can do without.. I'm sure it's a lot harder for all the folks buying detached houses. A lot of the standard selections were pretty good to begin with. Im pretty sure I'll be extra picky on my next house.. LOL
Old 2013-11-11, 06:35 PM
Regular User

Hi Guys - has anyone consider upgrading to plywood subflooring in their homes? If so, what is the cost?
Old 2013-11-13, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Looks like I posted this in the wrong spot before...

Here is our design centre choices. It's for the 38' jasmine model:

It's quite a long list and going off of memory..

- silver quill paint throughout (I figured there would be some rooms where the colour would work and then for the others we will just repaint... Otherwise going with white I would want to paint EVERYTHING!! Lol)
- riverside doors throughout
- upgraded baseboards throughout - I think it was the stepped style
- Upgraded fireplace model (ER-15 style)
- plasma ready wall
- conduit to basement
- frost free hose bibs
- changed the stair posts to the large Victorian Newell posts - non chamfered style
- standard iron pickets in 3-1 style
- vintage hand scraped hardwood in gotham stain for 2nd floor hallway and main floor including the kitchen and pantry area.
- 12x24 Kelly grey tile in a brick pattern for the powder room, foyer and mudroom.
- master kitchen layout
- winter white cabinetry in mpm palermo style
- stacked kitchen cabinets to the ceiling w/ small moulding. Top portion of stacked cabinets w/ glass doors.
- island in soapstone colour w/ decorative toe kick and applied mouldings
- faux doors on the side of the top and bottom cabinets
- microwave cabinet in the island
- upgraded counters to silestone lagoon w/ waterfall ogee edging.
- backsplash is marble oriental white in a random linear pattern.
- went with the standard carpet in the bedrooms - the lightest colour (sorry forget the name)
- laundry room tile is cinq grey
- main bathroom floor tile is cinq grey, tub wall tile is cinq white installed horizontally in a brick pattern. Kitchen height vanity in soapstone colour. Upgraded the counter to Bianco carerra marble w/ waterfall ogee edge.
- master ensuite floor tile is zera oyster. Kitchen height vanity in soapstone colour w/ lagoon silestone counter w/ waterfall ogee edge. Shower wall tile is installed in a brick pattern in a white subway tile (level 1 upgrade). We added a 6" border in oriental white marble (small subway style).
- we also got 5 light fixtures...when you buy 5 or more you get 20% off..plus they install them for you, so this was worth it for us - even just to get them to install the light fixture over the stairway which would be a pain for us to change on our own.
- we also put a few pot lights on the main floor in the kitchen.
Old 2013-11-13, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
Hahaha.. I tried.. But it's also easier when you have a townhome vs. a detached.. I went through a lot of soul searching for what I absolutely must have (listed above) and what I can do without.. I'm sure it's a lot harder for all the folks buying detached houses. A lot of the standard selections were pretty good to begin with. Im pretty sure I'll be extra picky on my next house.. LOL
I wish we were as disciplined as you! This is our 4th home and we had a certain look we were going for, so many of the standard offerings didn't fit that vision unfortunately.
Old 2013-11-15, 02:21 PM
Regular User

I found the same about 2nd floor HW (level 4). My quote from Mattamy was within $1000 of various installers so we just went ahead with Mattamy.

And yes Jaffa-- excellent budgeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Flow View Post
Hi Jaffa,

Thanks for starting this thread.. I got a 45' lot and chose the Snap Dragon. I think people should really talk about those options. There is too much to digest for the design center appointment. I did quite a bit of cross referencing and there are some super deals and some over priced stuff. I got a cross referenced quote on almost everything I chose at the design center. Some of them I thought for sure were over priced (ie: level 4 wood on the second floor) but competitve installers were quoting within 1000$ of mattamy DC pricing especailly on the wood we chose. They told me to go for it !

the only thing I am trying to figure out is how you only went 2K over the credit. You must be extremely desciplined!