Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-04-05, 09:43 PM
Regular User

Default Concrete ceiling: Replace chandelier with ceiling fan?

I have taken down a chandelier and want to replace with a ceiling fan. The construction is poured (or maybe prefab) concrete, built in 1974. From what I can tell, the junction box is set into the concrete.

Given the very heavy chandelier that's been there for 20+ years, can I assume the box will hold a 42" ceiling fan? I don't see any indication on the box that it supports a fan (which the instructions say to look for) but I wonder if they did that 40 years ago.

I've posted pictures of the box and old chandelier here https://picasaweb.google.com/1129320...eat=directlink

I can't imagine being able to get the box out, even if I want to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
=aw
Old 2014-04-05, 11:42 PM
Regular User

Minimum would be to replace the metal support and new nuts and bolts.
Old 2014-04-06, 01:24 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the quick reply. The support is the strap across the box? This ceiling fan comes with a big mounting bracket so I think that's taken care of. It looks like the mounting bracket attaches to the places the strap does.

Not sure what you mean by new bolts, you mean to attach the bracket? The instructions say to use bolts and washers that come with the box, of course I don't have any. I guess HD might sell them?

The mounting bracket is metal but looks a bit like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingho...5900/203077842 I'm not sure it has the mounting bolts though that surprises me.

=aw
Old 2014-04-06, 03:53 PM
Regular User

Also, if I have to buy bolts, what are recommended?

Thanks!
=aw
Old 2014-04-11, 07:36 AM
Regular User

couple of one inch tapcons should do it, through the existing holes in the box.

That ceiling compound may contain asbestos so don't disturb it too much.