Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2016-01-06, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Default Air Conditioner / Humidifier Installers - Any recommendations?

I am planning to get AC and Humidifier installed in my new Mattamy House in the preserve.

Any recommendations.

Last edited by beavis; 2016-01-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 2016-03-02, 09:12 PM

I'd be interested in setting up a group buy if anyone else is?

I'm looking for an AC unit to power my 45' Orchid model. I was reading somewhere in the forums it would be approx $3499 with the group buy or $3799 without.

Feel free to PM me. My closing date is May 4th, 2016
Old 2016-03-04, 08:02 AM
Regular User

IMO, when it comes to AC's, the whole "group buy" thing is just another marketing ploy. In other words, group buy pricing may or may not even save you money when compared to other promotions from other companies.
Old 2016-03-04, 02:47 PM
Regular User

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any humidifier recommendations as well. I initially purchased one with my upgrades, but got a follow up notice from Mattamy that they couldn't install it in my home, something to do with it being slab on grade, if I'm remembering correctly?

I'm definitely looking to find an after market one to have installed then to maintain humidity levels for the sake of my floors.
Old 2016-03-07, 07:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I'm interested to hear if anyone has any humidifier recommendations as well. I initially purchased one with my upgrades, but got a follow up notice from Mattamy that they couldn't install it in my home, something to do with it being slab on grade, if I'm remembering correctly?

I'm definitely looking to find an after market one to have installed then to maintain humidity levels for the sake of my floors.
It has to do with the heating systems that Mattamy chooses to install in the homes with slab on grade foundations.

I'll assume you are in a 3 story townhome. In these homes Mattamy does not install typical gas furnaces like in most homes. They install a high velocity type heating system with little flexible supply ducts. Because the main plenum above the heating system is round and not square or rectangular an adapter(s) is needed to install a humidifier. I would have to assume that the builders HVAC company does not have the adapters and that is likely why they can't do it. Not many HVAC companies will even want to work on your heating system so when you call around, do the companies a favour and tell them what you have first OR get the brand of the system off the unit and phone them for information on how to install a humidifier.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2016-03-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 2016-03-08, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
It has to do with the heating systems that Mattamy chooses to install in the homes with slab on grade foundations.

I'll assume you are in a 3 story townhome. In these homes Mattamy does not install typical gas furnaces like in most homes. They install a high velocity type heating system with little flexible supply ducts. Because the main plenum above the heating system is round and not square or rectangular an adapter(s) is needed to install a humidifier. I would have to assume that the builders HVAC company does not have the adapters and that is likely why they can't do it. Not many HVAC companies will even want to work on your heating system so when you call around, do the companies a favour and tell them what you have first OR get the brand of the system off the unit and phone them for information on how to install a humidifier.
Yup, it's this. We had a 3 storey townhome once and despite the horror stories from the HVAC people, it was actually a great system. Cost almost nothing to run and our system was a tank.
We were also told by a few installers that it's not only the shape, it's generally not recommended because of the distance travelled. We ended up just getting a standalone humidifier for the floors that were dry and that did the trick.
We actually have the furnace humidifier that was installed by the builder on our new house and I'm not overly impressed with it... It takes forever to tweak it based on the weather outside whereas with our old "system" we would just turn it on or off in different parts of the house as needed.
Old 2016-03-08, 07:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post

Bingo! I will certainly take your advice when I call around. Thank you; that is immensely helpful.

And thank you also to WellThat'sLovely for the feedback.