Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2006-10-05, 12:33 AM
Regular User

Default Home Show Advice

Okay, I'm a Home Show idiot...I want to go to the one this weekend so if anybody can give me any heads up it would be greatly appreciated...

*Are there good deals on appliances? Do we need to have money right then and there in order to purchase or put a downpayment on? Are the deals worth going for right at the time or should I shop around?

* Are there a lot of contests to enter enough that we should print up our names/info on labels to put on ballots (like I did at the wedding shows?)

* Are there any other GUARANTEED deals to take advantage of? Is there any scheme/company/approach that I should be wary of or avoid?

Thanks for all your time and help! I just finished planning a wedding so I have let my house research slack, so I need all the help I can get!

KJP
Old 2006-10-05, 07:58 AM
Regular User

I'd love to hear the answers to these questions too!

KF
#7 Walter Sangster Road, L4A 0J8
Eldon 'D' - 4 Bedroom
MOVED IN!
http://www.thefrasers.ca/MOM
Old 2006-10-05, 09:02 AM
Regular User

I would like to hear the answers to these questions as well.
Old 2006-10-05, 09:29 AM
Regular User

We purchased some items at the Home Show last spring (at the National Trade Centre at the CNE). It was the first time we had done this too but I will let you know our experience. If you do purchase anything, you will have to give a deposit, we bought our central vac and some lighting fixtures, but we dealt with large companies (Living Lighting and Beam Superstore) and they took credit cards for deposits (the remainder was paid when we received the product). I don't think anyone will ask for the whole amount up front - I would be wary if they did. We got great deals on all of the items we purchased (couple of hundred $ off of the central vac system and about $100 off of the lighting fixture). I don't remember seeing any draws, but we weren't interested in that sort of thing. Also if there is something specific that you are looking for and you don't find the exact item on display, ask the vendor(s) if they have one or can get it for you at the "Home Show" price. For example, I knew that Living Lighting carried the light fixture that I wanted but they did not have it on display. I asked, and they ordered one from the catalogue for me and gave me a great deal on it. I was also able to pick it up at the location closest to my house. It helps if you have an general idea of what the price is of the item that you are looking for, that way you know if you are getting a good deal or not.

Hope that helps a little,

Laurie

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2006-10-05, 09:35 AM
Regular User

Okay I am going to tackle this because Jason and I are home show junkies.

*Are there good deals on appliances? Do we need to have money right then and there in order to purchase or put a downpayment on? Are the deals worth going for right at the time or should I shop around?
As far as I can remember there usually isn't much in the way of appliances at this one. The one last weekend had one appliance company. But we didn't look at them.

* Are there a lot of contests to enter enough that we should print up our names/info on labels to put on ballots (like I did at the wedding shows?)
Yes, but be careful, some of them are for time shares/schemes, they may not call you now but later to tell you won a"trip" but you have to pay $$ for it. But quite a few vendors will have contests for free products.

* Are there any other GUARANTEED deals to take advantage of? Is there any scheme/company/approach that I should be wary of or avoid? The way the home show is like , is the same format as a trade show, there are some companies there that are corporate giants, and then will recomend a smaller seller to buy from. Some will advertise at the show that they have deals, with lots of flyers and pamphlets. I cannot recall a single vendor that we were getting a garanteed deal from.

Home shows can be a great place to start off and get good information from, but I would suggest you should do research, alot of asking questions before just going with the best deal, because the best deal may not always be the best one or the best quality. And as laurie posted above the spring home show is way better.

Miko
2007...MOVED IN!
Old 2006-10-05, 09:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP
Okay, I'm a Home Show idiot...I want to go to the one this weekend so if anybody can give me any heads up it would be greatly appreciated...

* Are there any other GUARANTEED deals to take advantage of? Is there any scheme/company/approach that I should be wary of or avoid?

Thanks for all your time and help! I just finished planning a wedding so I have let my house research slack, so I need all the help I can get!

KJP
Ok, been too many, maybe I can help.
  • We have always bought appliances at the home show (different shows though). The first time we did not shop around so I had no comparison. This time (last year when I bought them) I had full knowledge of prices as well there was a sale on at sears at the time and I had a flyer. I saved about 35-40% off the list price, about 5-10% less than the sears ad at the time. You usually just need to leave a deposit or pay at the delivery time, some vendors allow you to postdate the check as well. I find the best deals are at the spring show because it is the largest and has the most competition. Also ask about dealer incentives, usually they also have additional ‘bonuses’ from the dealers (KitchenAid, LG, Etc.) at the show, on top of the savings (free blender, pots, that type of stuff).
  • I usually don’t enter a lot of contests (hate being added to mail lists). The nice thing is if you are moving you can use your old address. Watch out for time-share scams.
  • The spring show is probably better for these unless there is something specifically you are looking for. We have bought our AC and in the past our Central Vac from the home shows.
Hope this helps

Mike

Last edited by klmrobinson; 2006-10-05 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2006-10-05, 09:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miko1234
Home shows can be a great place to start off and get good information from, but I would suggest you should do research, alot of asking questions before just going with the best deal, because the best deal may not always be the best one or the best quality. And as laurie posted above the spring home show is way better.

Miko
Good point, also it’s good if you know the exact model numbers of the products you are purchasing. Most appliances manufactures have different models that look very similar, but their features and prices are very different.

And I agree, the spring one is the best if you can wait I would.

Mike
Old 2006-10-05, 10:38 AM
Regular User

As someone said in another post, filling out ballots almost guarantees someone from some sort of telemarketing/timeshare company will call you. They buy the ballots from companies that are at the Home Show and Auto Shows. (I know first hand)

I bought my Central Vac from Beam at the Home Show last year October and got a GREAT DEAL. A few months later, they had the same “HOME SHOW DEAL” at the BEAM store. Unless you need the product right away or within a few months, don’t bother.

When I went appliance shopping, I brought a bunch of spreadsheets with the product and model #’s of the appliances I was considering. I just gave it to each Appliance store to fill out. This saved a lot of time since all they had to do was put in the price.

Old 2006-10-06, 06:25 PM
Regular User

I had the day off today so we decided to the home show at the int. center. Man it’s been a while since I went to that one; I usually go to the ones down town. If you are looking for appliances, don’t bother, no appliances…actually not much of anything, I was disappointed.

Mike