Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-06-11, 07:20 PM
Regular User

Default Bathroom ceiling fan

Top floor bathroom ceiling fan
The duct length from fan to the roof vent is 26 feet. The duct runs across the attic to the other side of the house and vents out the roof. Roofer put hole in wrong place.
Can any issues occur due to this length? What I have read on internet says keep it short but I couldn't find a max length.
I was told for this fan up to 29 feet was ok?
I have attached a picture of fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	14010  

Last edited by LA87; 2017-06-11 at 07:21 PM. Reason: mis type
Old 2017-06-11, 08:52 PM
Regular User

It should be fine.
Old 2017-06-11, 09:12 PM
Regular User

Smile

thats great - thanks
Old 2017-06-12, 09:37 AM
Regular User

Do some research in the manual for that fan. It will specify a max distance. The type of pipe and the number of elbows also matter.

A 90 cfm fan is on the low end. It will exhaust air, but it will be limited. Suggest you get a fan switch with a sensor. That way it will run as long as it needs to to lower the humidity in the room.
Old 2017-06-12, 11:21 AM
Regular User

Default airking

thanks for response. I just called AirKing. Was told if hard smooth duct can run up to 25ft so I would be ok at 26ft.
If flex duct - no longer than 10ft. Thats what I have;( He said it will cause issues including restriction on blower of fan.
Will be talking to builder.
Old 2017-06-12, 04:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA87 View Post
thanks for response. I just called AirKing. Was told if hard smooth duct can run up to 25ft so I would be ok at 26ft.
If flex duct - no longer than 10ft. Thats what I have;( He said it will cause issues including restriction on blower of fan.
Will be talking to builder.
Yes you should - at a minimum they could move the roof vent to above the bathroom. It's a 20 minute job for a roofer. The stumbling block may be 'whose going in the attic to move the pipe'. Typically the hvac sub does these bathroom vents, but with a roof vent, not sure who all gets involved.

Where is that on your house? They like to install vents so not visible from the front. Not mandatory for performance just appearance.

If they agree great. If you need to force the issue let me know. I won a dryer vent too long battle with a builder and many of the issues / obstacles are the same. The main one is there is no code that they are in violation of.

Good luck with this.
Old 2017-06-12, 09:42 PM
Regular User

vent is only visible if you go into my neighbours house and look out their upper back window. Warranty guy used binoculars from that locating to see if vent was opening. it is in middle far side of roof. Two story home. Thinking maybe rigid ducting may work - less holes in roof that way..... will let you know what happens
Old 2017-06-13, 10:54 AM
Regular User

OK what I was wondering is if they move the vent to over the bathroom where would that be. Moving the vent and patching the hole is a minor job.

If someone goes in the attic, make sure the builder fixes the insulation afterwards.
Old 2017-06-13, 05:19 PM
Regular User

if moved to location above bathroom - vent would be in upper side of roof - wouldn't be visible from front. Also heard same about insulation if disturbed - fix. thanks. Do they have to go in attic. Can they just cut hole in roof and put duct down to fan - then work from inside bathroom?
Old 2017-06-14, 10:53 AM
Regular User

They would need to go in the attic to move or change the pipe.

I'm wondering - have you tried an air flow test? A Kleenex of the grill is a basic test. If it won't hold it there, that's a problem. Better is to use an air flow meter. Not sure how much they are but with consumer oriented return policies, you could take it back afterwards.