Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2008-01-15, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Default Coronation-Fernbrook Stucco vs Brick

Hello All,

We are in the process of buying a house here and are trying to decide if to go with stucco or brick. There is a $15K difference with the stucco being more and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Anyone else make that choice? I would really appreciate any advice.

We are also trying to decide between two models one being 450 sq/ft larger than the other but also $30K more in price and I'm not sure if that is worth it either. I'm not really familiar with the real estate trends in thornhill and what future buyers of our house would pay for..

TIA

Andrew
Old 2008-01-15, 10:01 PM
Regular User

Default Here is my thinking

After we see so many custom built houses. We found trend like below

From old fashion to new: brick---> brick + stone ---> stone cover all ---> Stucco ---> Stucco + stone. 15k~20k stucco diffrence is normal and looks bueatiful but it may need some works after many years.

my friend use that $15k difference to cover all fornt with stone which I think is pretty smart and safe then he doesn't worry about fashion later on.

Hope it helps
Old 2008-01-15, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerisanu View Post
Hello All,

We are in the process of buying a house here and are trying to decide if to go with stucco or brick. There is a $15K difference with the stucco being more and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Anyone else make that choice? I would really appreciate any advice.

We are also trying to decide between two models one being 450 sq/ft larger than the other but also $30K more in price and I'm not sure if that is worth it either. I'm not really familiar with the real estate trends in thornhill and what future buyers of our house would pay for..

TIA

Andrew
Congrats on buying a home that will be worth 20% less by the end of 2008.
Old 2008-01-15, 10:13 PM
Regular User

delete comment

Last edited by Madame X; 2008-03-19 at 05:22 PM.
Old 2008-01-15, 10:21 PM
Regular User

Default Maybe you are right.

But house is a long term investment and in the mean time you can enjoy your lifestyle. as long as you can afford it so what is wrong with it and why you care about name of the street so much?
Old 2008-01-15, 10:27 PM
Regular User

Frankly I think dirty should take his dirty mouth and dirty mind to some other forum and leave this one alone!!

He likes Thornhill and hates Maple. We get it - now shut up already!!!!!!

amerisanu - the choice of stucco is a personal one - I like it, but my husband doesnt. I think you should go with what you both like because after all you are the one's that will be living there. When it comes time to sell I am sure you will find potential buyers who will like/not like whatever you choose. Right now the stucco carries a premium - $15K - if you like it -its worth it - if you don't - its not.

The 450 sq.ft extra - are the houses in the development mainly smaller or larger than this model. If most are smaller you may not be able to get 30k more when you are selling. If most are larger, then I'd say go for it because you may be able to reap the benefits of being with larger and more expensive homes. Just my 2cent!

[

Old 2008-01-15, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Hi there, please avoid feeding the trolls. Just ignore and move on. Thanks.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-01-16, 07:34 AM
Regular User

Default Good advice

Thank you all for you quick responses and advice. I posted looking for contributors since critics I already had lots of. I'm glad to see that the contributors on this forum far outnumber the critics

The two models we are considering are the most popular ones, but thesmaller one is the smallest in the subdivision. I liked the idea of stone clading rather than stucco, didn't think of it for some reason and for either model that will likely cost less since most of the front is stone already.

Thank you all again.

Andrew
Old 2008-01-16, 08:49 AM
Regular User

The area wiill hold it's value for sure. It is very nice.

Dirty,

In terms of Maple vs Thornhill, it really does not make a difference. Maple is actually gaining prestige in recent years with the removal of the dump and building of Eagle's Nest Golf Course. Back in 2001 some people bought the Megalots at Dufferin and Kirby (Near the dump) and others said they were crazy. They spent $350-400k on 75-80 X 150 lots on nice size houses. Those same houses are now in the 800k range and back on to a golf course. This area is considered Maple and one of the nicest secluded areas in Vaughan. In fact, Townwood homes is building at Dufferin and Teston and the asking prices are starting at 800k. Also, I lived in Thornhill and not all of it is prestige. There are some areas that are not as nice. I like to Coronation area and although it is a bit pricey for me I wouldn;t put down anyone who bought there. wheather it is considered Maple or Thornhill it is still Vaughan.
Old 2008-02-12, 10:21 PM
Regular User

Default Congrats

Hey Amerisanu,
we decided to go with the stucco exterior with our home, its not just the stucco you get for the extra 15K, the windows and doors are different and all the stucco elevations have a balcony. i like the look of stucco and if you've driven thru the completed phase 1 homes you really notice the difference in the stucco homes vs the brick or stone. this is just my opinion but get whatever you like to look at the most.

btw, what plan did you decide on?

good luck