Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-03-25, 05:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddassir View Post
For depreciating values, I would say, that is just the consumers who make the pricing, which is definitely not fair, as many immigrants try to show their royalty to the makes they have been used to, many others also follow that. Because Toyota/Honda are being sold all over the world, makes it easier choice for people already used to about it. And it is totally not fair to the other manufacturers who really try hard and give you incentives to buy their vehicles.
Honda/Toyota are priced higher on the resale market because the cars will generally be more reliable as the mileage racks up. I would have no problem buying a 100k km Honda/Toyota, but there's no way I'd touch a 100k km domestic. If domestics had a better track record - they've come a long way - the resale value on them would be good as well. It's not all imports that have better resale values either. Honda/Toyota are the cream of the crop, but depreciation on Hyundai, some BMWs, etc is pretty big.

Quote:
Also North American manufacturers pay their employees better rate then Japanese who have their plants.
They pay more because they have to. From a business standpoint, if the imports can pay less for the same thing, good on them. It's business. If Honda was treating their employees badly, the Alliston plant would be unionized by now...but it isn't despite many attempts by the union to get in.
Old 2008-03-25, 07:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
Honda/Toyota are priced higher on the resale market because the cars will generally be more reliable as the mileage racks up. I would have no problem buying a 100k km Honda/Toyota, but there's no way I'd touch a 100k km domestic. If domestics had a better track record - they've come a long way - the resale value on them would be good as well. It's not all imports that have better resale values either. Honda/Toyota are the cream of the crop, but depreciation on Hyundai, some BMWs, etc is pretty big.

They pay more because they have to. From a business standpoint, if the imports can pay less for the same thing, good on them. It's business. If Honda was treating their employees badly, the Alliston plant would be unionized by now...but it isn't despite many attempts by the union to get in.
Good points, and I don't see the problems with the immigrants showing the loyalty, they stick with what works for them and I have no issue with that.

I have no problem with a Yankee living here who insists on buying GM, same as an Asian who wants to go with Toyota. The consumers are not dumb, there are all kinds of research on the Internet and in the papers these days to help them make their decisions.
Old 2008-05-22, 08:51 PM
Regular User

GM laid off 1,400 people in Oshawa

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/05/12/gm-oshawa.html

Sad to see your fellow Ontarians losing job but the writings were on the wall. Get rid of the unions is a good start.