Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2008-03-18, 01:21 PM
Regular User

Default Quality problem with hardwood stairs?

Hi All - we've heard mention from previous threads that some people that opted for Mattamy's hardwood stair upgrade had some 'quality problems'. Can anyone here share what those problems are so we can find out if they've addressed them for Phase 4?

Thanks!
TomC
Old 2008-04-01, 05:11 PM
Regular User

How about this...

-gaps between the tread and the stringer
-gaps between the picket and the tread (on every single tread)
-wood filler applied AFTER varnishing (it dries up and stains a completely different colour because it is not protected)
-large portions that just aren't varnished at all (they get dirty from regular wear)
-varnish over paint
-paint over varnish
-varnish over pencil marks
-hammer marks on the risers
-nails that are set without filler
-tack holes that are turning black (not filled or varnished properly)

Do you want photos? We'll be glad to provide them.

We've been in our house for over 5 months and Mattamy is refusing to address these issues the way they indicated they would on earlier visits (i.e. pre PDI, PDI, closing and visits after closing). We're 120 days past the date that we submitted our 30 day form we are now taking action through Tarion and are in the process of taking action on other fronts.

Do you want in on our experience with Mattamy? We'll be happy to provide you or any potential buyers with our documented experience. We've recorded who said what and documented how many work hours Mattamy has wasted after doing repairs that construction couldn't be bothered to get around to before our closing date. We've been asked to set aside 80+ hours away from our jobs to be at home so that Mattamy could come in a finish the job.

That is 2 weeks away from our jobs... can you do that without any negative implications at work? Over 25% of the time no one shows up for the appointment or they show up and realize they don't have the right tools or people to do the job and have to reschedule.

If you're having similar problems I would strongly recommend that in addition to following the steps outlined in the Tarion documentation that you write letters to the two following people at Tarion and share your experience. I've been in contact with Tarion and if you can manage to get past their first level customer service representatives you will find that there are people in that organization who are keen on hearing about these types of experiences.

Mr. P. Varco
Vice President of Licensing and Underwriting

and

Mr. M. Cote
Vice President of Builder Relations

Tarion Warranty Corporation
5150 Yonge St.
Concourse Level
M2N 6L8

That Mattamy service... all talk and no action!
MOVED IN!

Last edited by MaxJay; 2008-04-01 at 11:32 PM.
Old 2008-04-01, 05:34 PM
Regular User

MaxJay, it's quite interesting how virtually all of us have had completely opposite experiences with Mattamy customer service. Anytime I have had a problem it has been addressed promptly. Mattamy's post-closing customer service has gone above and beyond what most other builders provide. This is my opinion and the opinion of almost everyone I have spoken with. This is proven by the number of repeat Mattamy buyers in subsequent phases. I'm sorry that you have had these issues, but I tend to think you might be in the minority.
Old 2008-04-01, 05:55 PM
Regular User

Are you trying to insinuate that we somehow brought the poor construction, craftsmanship and finishing on ourselves? Are you saying that we're responsible for all of the times that Mattamy has missed their appointments etc...

Think about what you're saying. Your tone is insulting.

If you want to add that your staircase is built beyond your expectations and that you've had nothing but great experiences with Mattamy please feel free to do that.

I am sharing our experience and don’t appreciate you casting judgment or calling into question the facts on a situation that you are not familiar with.
MOVED IN!

Last edited by MaxJay; 2008-04-01 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2008-04-01, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I don't think that's what they were saying. I think it's pretty much face value.. most people seem to have some sort of good experience with post-closing customer service.

It just sucks that you are not.

I am glad you are documenting everything. This is extremely important, regardless of builder and will certainly assist with any elevated action.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-04-01, 06:09 PM
Regular User

I'm pretty sure I said that I was sorry that you had these problems...
I just said it's surprising that you've had so many when so many people have had nothing but good things to say. I myself had a positive experience. I'm allowed to comment on that as well.
I'm just trying to put the opposite opinion out there. People are so quick to say negative things about a builder and I don't want people to be turned off of Mattamy by one very strong negative opinion. That is all.

Edit: Thanks, Greg. That's what I'm getting at.
Old 2008-04-01, 09:41 PM
Regular User

I wish we were among the lucky ones who have had great service from Mattamy. Our experience has been a struggle from the very beginning (literally - the footings of our house were damaged and had to be ripped out and redone). Every step of the way we have come against problems and it seems like it will never end. We were so excited about our new home but the amount of frustration and extra cost (unpaid time off work, etc) trying to get things fixed hardly feels worth it. We are not likely to ever buy a big builder home again based on our experience.

I'm glad you have had a good experience, though, Sarah! I think for us the point of sharing our negative experiences is more to let prospective buyers know that Mattamy's far from perfect, despite the awards and praise we see here - and also to let others having troubles with Mattamy know that they're not alone.

Plus in this case TomC specifically asked

Old 2008-04-01, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Emily and Jason
Just wanted to write a quick thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We are among the people who have good experiences with mattamy so far...having said that we are also first time home buyers and perhaps lacking in what to look for in terms of a quality build.
Our PDI is coming up and your post has given us some insight in things to look out for. Thanks again!
oh and accross the spectrum there's nothing more frustrating than poor customer service.
Old 2008-04-01, 11:02 PM
Regular User

Thanks everyone esp MaxJay for sharing your experiences - we just want to know what to look for and ask about when it comes time to select upgrades. Stairs aren't something that's easy to do afterwards with a contractor, and it's a lot of $$$, so we want to make sure to ask the staff about their previous issues to ensure they've taken steps they don't happen again.

Thanks again!
Tom
Old 2008-04-02, 01:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJay View Post
How about this...

-gaps between the tread and the stringer
-gaps between the picket and the tread (on every single tread)
-wood filler applied AFTER varnishing (it dries up and stains a completely different colour because it is not protected)
-large portions that just aren't varnished at all (they get dirty from regular wear)
-varnish over paint
-paint over varnish
-varnish over pencil marks
-hammer marks on the risers
-nails that are set without filler
-tack holes that are turning black (not filled or varnished properly)

Do you want photos? We'll be glad to provide them.
Wow, sorry to hear that you had so many problems with your stairs. I hope you really push them to fix it. They know it's a major job, it should be stripped down & properly re-finished again IMO. Which is a big & messy job & takes time to do it right, I should know...

I remember when we moved into our first brand new house back in 1999 by Aspen Ridge, they left many staples in the stairs, holes not filled in properly, missed varnishing some spots, etc... Our neighbour had the same issues. But lucky for us, we decided to re-finish the stairs after a year since our newly installed dark hardwood did not go very well with our natural stairs anymore. So this way we fixed 2 problems at the same time.

In the house we are in now, I said I will not leave the stairs (among many other things) to the builder to finish, it would just kill me if it wasn't done to my specs knowing what I know now. I am surprised that Mattamy does not allow to close their houses with un-finished stairs if people ask for it.....it would save them sooo much trouble & $$ too

The person that did your stairs, obviously did not care about the quality of the job, just wanted to do it quick & leave & did not put much effort into it. It's unfortunate that this happened & to fix it it's a major job but it's doable. I am surprised that Mattamy is giving you a hard time. I mean all they have to do is send the bill as a backcharge to the painting company since they dropped the ball....unless Mattamy owns the painting company