Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-03-31, 11:13 AM
Administrator

I am not kidding when I say, "Talk to your lawyer." You need legal advice. This is not a forum that offers legal services.

I am not kidding when I say, "Talk to your builder." They are the ones who built the house and they are presumably the ones who will fix it.

I am not kidding when I say, "Copy Tarion on everything." They are the ones who officially deal with the Ontario New Home Warranty. If they don't know about the problems with your home, then how are they going to get involved when needed?

I am not kidding when I say, "Do not post problems with the construction of your home." What ends up happening is a mob-mentality.. A lot of people who have nothing to do with the situation at hand jumping in wanting to see death. I saw this happen a lot elsewhere and I am trying to maintain some sort of peaceful order where people can share their ideas.

If you are looking to research a particular builder, there are a few places that have official listings of complaints such as the BBB and Tarion. You can search for builders right online and look up the list of complaints against them. I've even made some convenient links for many of them by way of the Builder Finder, and I add more every weekend.

Am I intimidated? Sure, because I don't have the resources to investigate every complaint that someone makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Make rules then:
- You'd better have the documentation supporting your problem otherwise it doesn't exist and will be deleted
- Never say to not buy from a builder. Just state the facts.

Bingo, you're protected. You then enjoy the rise in membership and retire at 45 with the profits from advertisement.

Now here is a real suggestion! Thanks! I just might do that.

It's not like I don't listen to people. When feasible, I do implement reasonable suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton_Sandy View Post
and I would also advise you that in this day and age, with THIS kinda website, maybe YOU (the webmaster) should speak to a Lawyer who specializes in Internet activities.

A builder should NOT be turning your screws the way it is obvious that Sundial is turning yours.
Again, I have received no letters from Sundial or other builders. I stated my reasons above as to why I don't want negative commentary on builders. I'd rather have some sort of peaceful discussion that avoids the mob-mentality. It's because the majority of the time (if not all the time) people post things that they haven't even gone through the process of

So here's what I will look into doing:

1) Write something up to assist people in what they need to do to go about resolving issues post-construction. (there already is one for during-construction located here: http://www.buildinghomes.ca/index.ph...ction_Problems )

2) Modify the rules somewhat to accommodate documented statements of issues. If the issue is posted without following the system process, the message will just be removed.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-03-31, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I have moved this to the Chit Chat section so maybe more will be able to reasonable participate and offer some suggestions.

Old 2008-03-31, 11:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I am not kidding when I say, "Copy Tarion on everything." They are the ones who officially deal with the Ontario New Home Warranty. If they don't know about the problems with your home, then how are they going to get involved when needed?
Most of us have no / little faith in Tarion. Tarion is the builder's bitch. They've created it to please the govt (so they don't look into the scam of new homes building too much) and to stop being hassled by picky purchasers (ie: "Sorry, our wall looks crooked and the ceramic job looks like crap but it meets the Tarion standard, you can't see the defects with the lights closed when you're outside the house").
Old 2008-03-31, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Most of us have no / little faith in Tarion. Tarion is the builder's bitch. They've created it to please the govt (so they don't look into the scam of new homes building too much) and to stop being hassled by picky purchasers (ie: "Sorry, our wall looks crooked and the ceramic job looks like crap but it meets the Tarion standard, you can't see the defects with the lights closed when you're outside the house").
I've seen you state this many times before. I neither agree or disagree. My own experience with Tarion was fine back in 2003/04, and my builder was good about resolving the issues. Tarion may not be perfect, but it is right now the only system in place. I know builders do not want strikes against them in their Tarion listings.

Old 2008-03-31, 11:38 AM
Regular User

This is quite interesting, we finally have some excitement going on I just hope nobody is going to get banned for speaking their mind
Old 2008-03-31, 11:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Most of us have no / little faith in Tarion.
Most of us??? Who do you speak for? Not me please, I do not agree with you .

Isnít there a ton of complaint site's out there? I know of a few and I only looked for a day about 3 years ago and for one builder, I am sure there is a ton more now. Why would Greg ever want to compete with them, who really cares? Those that do are already on the other sites.

I would much prefer Greg build a community site to share information, which I thought he did a great job doing.

Mike
Old 2008-03-31, 11:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I've seen you state this many times before. I neither agree or disagree. My own experience with Tarion was fine back in 2003/04, and my builder was good about resolving the issues. Tarion may not be perfect, but it is right now the only system in place. I know builders do not want strikes against them in their Tarion listings.
Greg - there is such a thing as Karma.
Wait till YOU or someone you care about, buys a home or makes a major investment like we did, and have our dreams turn into a nighmare just like Sundial is doing. Then you will remember this post and many like this that you have shut down or used your Admin poweres to sabotage

Karma is a bi-tch..

Thank you my good gentleman.
Old 2008-03-31, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
This is quite interesting, we finally have some excitement going on I just hope nobody is going to get banned for speaking their mind
People get banned for acting like an ass after being warned they were being an ass.

If their mind is located in their ass, then it's pretty much a given that they will be banned.

Old 2008-03-31, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrobinson View Post
Most of us??? Who do you speak for? Not me please, I do not agree with you .

Isn’t there a ton of complaint site's out there? I know of a few and I only looked for a day about 3 years ago and for one builder, I am sure there is a ton more now. Why would Greg ever want to compete with them, who really cares? Those that do are already on the other sites.

I would much prefer Greg build a community site to share information, which I thought he did a great job doing.

Mike
Share what kinda info?
The color of your doorknobs?

How does that translate to dollars and cents in and out of our pockets?
How does that translate to enjoyment of the home?

If it doesnt affect you, then you need NOT comment.
If the post bears no interst to you, then no need to become involved.
Many here are selfish. They only scream when the issue affects them. Otherwise they belittle the next person's problem.
We personally have no intention of being part of such a selfish ,hypocratic community.
Old 2008-03-31, 11:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
People get banned for acting like an ass after being warned they were being an ass.

If their mind is located in their ass, then it's pretty much a given that they will be banned.
With that kinda of response and language, maybe YOU should be banned.

Anyhow its YOUR dump. So you can spead any amount of thrash you want in it.